SUNS 2014: Free Agency

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: SUNS 2014: Free Agency

Post by Superbone »

Free agent forward Carmelo Anthony expected to re-sign with the New York Knicks, who have offered him a five-year, $129 million contract, according to Frank Isola of the New York Daily News.
That is obscene!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Cap wrote:Carmelo Anthony is expected to return to the Knicks: Link
My fantasy FA development starts like that!!!

Sunday: Melo goes back to New York, cutting out any chance the Lakers have to be respectable, then later that day, Bosh takes the initiative and break the Nice 3 by going to Houston. Monday morning, McD activates our doormant strategy and trades for Love using the blueprint I set for it (hey, it's a fantasy, ok?) shielding us from Lebron's decision. And that's it.

I don't want to think about Lebron, I dislike the guy, so I still can't digest him coming to Phoenix... But it would be very interesting how James react to all of this developments, logic tells me he either picks Cleveland or Phoenix over Miami.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I would love for McD to trade for Love without giving up Dragic, Bledsoe, Goodwin, Len, Plumlee, or the 2014 picks, besides Bogdan. Everything else is fine, to me. If I was being really greedy, I'd include the Laker pick.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Apparently the Suns have interest in Marvin Williams (along with a host of others):

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/23 ... rds-Others

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... ima02.html

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Marvin Williams can be left. I just don't think he is better than our existing mediocre forwards.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Eh...pass on Marvin Williams.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Do Phoenix Suns Have Strongest Recruiting Pitch for LeBron James?

Magic eight ball: All signs point to yes.

"Be Legendary."

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Ugh...

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'll play Devil's Advocate here...

We play in the West which means the Clippers, Thunder, Spurs, Grizzlies, Rockets, Mavericks in April. Say what you want about some of those teams, but they're still tougher than just about every other Eastern Conference playoff team.

That's reason enough to stay in the East, where LeBron got to the Finals with a JV team around him.

It's true that, just like 2010, LeBron isn't going to leave a 60win team to start over or wait a season or two to build up. And we're in a position to make a legit leap with him in the mix. But looking at our roster, he'd be the only legit superstar. We don't have that other guy. And honestly, I don't even think he'd be that excited to keep playing with Bosh. I wonder if Monroe would fit the bill?

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

ShelC wrote:I'll play Devil's Advocate here...

We play in the West which means the Clippers, Thunder, Spurs, Grizzlies, Rockets, Mavericks in April. Say what you want about some of those teams, but they're still tougher than just about every other Eastern Conference playoff team.

That's reason enough to stay in the East, where LeBron got to the Finals with a JV team around him.
Lebron could say that he wanted to go to the west where it was more competitive to prove that he loves the competition instead of taking the easy way out in the east. I don't think Lebron really cares what people think though.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Superbone wrote:Do Phoenix Suns Have Strongest Recruiting Pitch for LeBron James?

Magic eight ball: All signs point to yes.
All that article says to me is that we are awesome, and have a stacked young roster, and a ton of assets with room to grow, so what the hell do we even need Lebron for? Lets let our young guys grow, and trample this fucker in a couple years! I don't want to build HIS legacy... i want to build OURS.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

I'd sell my soul for a Championship, so as much as I dislike Lebron James, if he comes to the valley and brings someone with us that makes us automatic contenders.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I don't really understand why people hate LeBron. No one who contributes to a message board has any first hand account of him as a person, and he's one of the most entertaining athletes in the world, in any sport. The guy lives a life so far from what any of us will ever experience it's practically impossible to relate.

He plays hard, rarely makes excuses, and does his job with a smile. I like LeBron, and I would love to see him on the Suns because it would mean that one of the 5 greatest basketball players in the history of the world played for my favorite team in the city I was born and raised. That would be incredible.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

carey

Post by carey »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:He plays hard, rarely makes excuses, and does his job with a smile. I like LeBron, and I would love to see him on the Suns because it would mean that one of the 5 greatest basketball players in the history of the world played for my favorite team in the city I was born and raised. That would be incredible.
Amen. Still think he's a bit of a douche though. His excuse making. The decision. His ego. None of these are unforgivable sins to me.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

He chokes more often then not. No trust in him not to wilt in the 4th quarter. Would never want to put all my eggs in the Lebron basket. When the going gets tough, he goes to where its easier. Don't respect him. Don't care how good he is.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

"The Decision" was a mistake, but I think he's said as much since that whole charade went down. After the Mavs beat the Heat in the Finals I thought karma had run its course for that poor judgement on his part. I moved on from that a long time ago.

His ego? I'm not really sure what to make of that. He's probably the most gifted athlete in America, and he's a helluva lot more accessible than Kobe or Jordan. Of course he's going to be perceived as having a massive ego that's constantly under a media microscope. It was front page news when his mom bought him an H2 when he was in high school, for example.

Don't take this personally, but a lot of people seem very petty and childish when they hold on to events or actions, that affected them in no way, just to dislike an athlete.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

ShelC wrote:We don't have that other guy. And honestly, I don't even think he'd be that excited to keep playing with Bosh. I wonder if Monroe would fit the bill?
First you get the Love. Then you get the James. Then you get the POWER.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

He is an entitled prick that has been handed everything since high school without ever having to work for it, living off his athletic gifts. Thanks for reminding me how far back it actually goes. Lebron farts and its front page news. Pass. We don't need the circus, the fair weather fans, the Lebron team jumpers. I'm not about to give him credit for our success. I didn't wait this long for a title to get one this way. Don't care.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I think you're being just a tad bit extreme. Agree to disagree, I suppose.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Phoenix219 wrote:He is an entitled prick that has been handed everything since high school without ever having to work for it, living off his athletic gifts. Thanks for reminding me how far back it actually goes. Lebron farts and its front page news. Pass. We don't need the circus, the fair weather fans, the Lebron team jumpers. I'm not about to give him credit for our success. I didn't wait this long for a title to get one this way. Don't care.
Sorry, but to say that someone achieved his level of individual and team success without having to work for it is nonsense. You don't get to that point on athletic gift alone. Plenty of guys have been dubbed The Next Big Thing and didn't go on to have a fraction of the success that LeBron's had.