Suns News: Week 5 11/13-11/19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
BookTheGoat

Re: Suns News: Week 5 11/13-11/19

Post by BookTheGoat »

carey wrote:Does jimmer have an NBA out? He's better than Ulis or James.

Not sure who else is available. Beverly once Teodosic is back? Bayless once Fultz is back? Maybe one of Portland's extra PGs like Napier? A package to SA for Murray? I got nothing.

Bayless would be cool, hometown kid. I went to high school with him.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Superbone wrote:
carey wrote:Does jimmer have an NBA out? He's better than Ulis or James.
Come on, carey. He didn't make it in the league for a reason. He doesn't play a lick of defense.
His real problem was his attitude, according to some article I read not long back (from his time with the Spurs, I believe).

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Split T wrote:Bright side had an article discussing this and mentioned Jordan Clarkson. Lakers are trying to clear space and might be interested in a Monroe package.
That's an interesting idea. Clarkson has a reasonable contract and is a good fit next to Booker. He's ideally a 3rd guard, so if we get Doncic in the draft we can move Clarkson to the bench.

Monroe for Clarkson and Brewer (waive) works. Maybe we could squeeze an asset out of the Lakers as well.
I like it, but let’s take it further.

Clarkson and Randle for Monroe and a first. Would like to swap Chriss and a second for the 1st, but if LA bites before the deadline to packaging Monroe with another player kicks in, I would pull the trigger. Also two separate trades with Clarkson+Hart for Monroe and a Randle/Chriss-pick swap works just fine.

Lakers have to decide with Randle this summer, just in the middle of their quest for a big splash in Free Agency. Chriss would allow them to reset their timeline around Ball, in age and rookie scaled contracts, while Monroe allows them to clear the deck for Lebron or/and someone else.

We get set at two positions with the incoming players, and a Booker/Jackson/Randle core rounded up with Warren, Clarkson, Ulis and a developing Bender suddenly looks respectable. If Chriss is still around, pack him with Chandler for Valanciunas and call it a day. No tanking, but we still, as a courtesy from the NBA awarding our 50th anniversary, take an unexpected jump all the way into the 1st selection overall. We nail it with one of those center prospects and send Len to look for his next scholarship else were.

A man can dream.
Not really interested in trading for the right to overpay Randle, especially with the bigs that are going to be available in June.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:What PG would you target at the trade deadline?
Have always been keen on Corey Joseph if you need a backup PG. One more season under contract at about $7.5M, but Indiana is not an ideal trading partner.

Want to make sure that others get theirs but the team has a hole big enough to make winning even harder? Try Calderon.

All I know is I don't want any SG in a PG's body who mainly looks to score.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

I'm not sure why Clarkson is a good fit with Booker? Or if he even is a PG. I'd be interested in an Indiana point guard if they would trade one (Collison, Joseph) or Jones from the Wolves. I don't think Rozier is easily available. Maybe we should have signed Nelson before the Pelicans did.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
carey wrote:What PG would you target at the trade deadline?
I wonder what it would take to get Seth Curry from Dallas.
He has a stress fracture and is out indefinitely.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Split T wrote:Bright side had an article discussing this and mentioned Jordan Clarkson. Lakers are trying to clear space and might be interested in a Monroe package.
That's an interesting idea. Clarkson has a reasonable contract and is a good fit next to Booker. He's ideally a 3rd guard, so if we get Doncic in the draft we can move Clarkson to the bench.

Monroe for Clarkson and Brewer (waive) works. Maybe we could squeeze an asset out of the Lakers as well.

Clarkson and Randle for Monroe and a first. Would like to swap Chriss and a second for the 1st, but if LA bites before the deadline to packaging Monroe with another player kicks in, I would pull the trigger. Also two separate trades with Clarkson+Hart for Monroe and a Randle/Chriss-pick swap works just fine.

Lakers have to decide with Randle this summer, just in the middle of their quest for a big splash in Free Agency. Chriss would allow them to reset their timeline around Ball, in age and rookie scaled contracts, while Monroe allows them to clear the deck for Lebron or/and someone else.

We get set at two positions with the incoming players, and a Booker/Jackson/Randle core rounded up with Warren, Clarkson, Ulis and a developing Bender suddenly looks respectable. If Chriss is still around, pack him with Chandler for Valanciunas and call it a day. No tanking, but we still, as a courtesy from the NBA awarding our 50th anniversary, take an unexpected jump all the way into the 1st selection overall. We nail it with one of those center prospects and send Len to look for his next scholarship else were.

A man can dream.
I like the idea of Randle, but IRL he's a clown. He reminds me of Zach Randolf in Portland. I think he can eventually be good, but he needs a HUGE attitude adjustment.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Shabazz wrote:

A man can dream.
Although Randle is better than Chriss right now, I'm not sure he will be better in 2 years from now. I'm admittedly not the biggest Randle fan. I do like the Clarkson and Tyus Jones ideas though. I'm currently content with how the 2 Power Forwards are progressing and improving. I might change my mind 40 more times throughout the season though.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I said a couple of weeks back that I would judge Triano based on his ability to get us running discernible plays that end in make-able shots. We've got a couple in the playbook now, and it is making a world of difference on the court. I expect the playbook to grow as the team gets more practice time under Triano.

Next goal is getting easy baskets for Chriss and Jackson. Those guys could be getting a couple of dunks each game off cuts, and I'll look to see if Triano can get that going.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

O_Gardino wrote:I said a couple of weeks back that I would judge Triano based on his ability to get us running discernible plays that end in make-able shots. We've got a couple in the playbook now, and it is making a world of difference on the court. I expect the playbook to grow as the team gets more practice time under Triano.

Next goal is getting easy baskets for Chriss and Jackson. Those guys could be getting a couple of dunks each game off cuts, and I'll look to see if Triano can get that going.
I think your next goal will be a struggle with the personnel we have now. Mike James has done admirably as a fill-in pg. His shooting is pretty efficient for a pg, and he does not turn the ball over. But he just is not very good at initiating the offense. Ulis has regressed from last year and looks for his own shot too much. While he is a pesky defender, his size does create some defensive liabilities.

To me, the only way to do what you are asking is to let James and Ulis run the break, and let them bring the ball up in the half court game. But then they have two passes to make. Either to Booker, who will initiate the half court offense, or to Bender in the high post who will run a high post offense. No one else is a good half court facilitator.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I don’t like James OR Ulis as starters in this league but remember that Ulis was recovering from offseason surgery and didn’t get the chance most rookies get to improve their games after their first year in the league. I still think with the flashes he showed last year he can grow into a dependable back up PG

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

JCSunsfan wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:I said a couple of weeks back that I would judge Triano based on his ability to get us running discernible plays that end in make-able shots. We've got a couple in the playbook now, and it is making a world of difference on the court. I expect the playbook to grow as the team gets more practice time under Triano.

I think your next goal will be a struggle with the personnel we have now. Mike James has done admirably as a fill-in pg. His shooting is pretty efficient for a pg, and he does not turn the ball over. But he just is not very good at initiating the offense. Ulis has regressed from last year and looks for his own shot too much. While he is a pesky defender, his size does create some defensive liabilities.

To me, the only way to do what you are asking is to let James and Ulis run the break, and let them bring the ball up in the half court game. But then they have two passes to make. Either to Booker, who will initiate the half court offense, or to Bender in the high post who will run a high post offense. No one else is a good half court facilitator.
Well, it's a goal becasue we just genuinely aren't there right now. But, if Booker can throw lobs to Chandler, then he can trow lobs to Chriss. And In think Bender, Jackson, and Chriss could learn to throw the lob if they can see a guy heading for the rim. It's just about being aware of what your teammates are thinking, and that comes with playing together and with the expectation that your guys are moving when you have the ball.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

O_Gardino wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:

Well, it's a goal becasue we just genuinely aren't there right now. But, if Booker can throw lobs to Chandler, then he can trow lobs to Chriss. And In think Bender, Jackson, and Chriss could learn to throw the lob if they can see a guy heading for the rim. It's just about being aware of what your teammates are thinking, and that comes with playing together and with the expectation that your guys are moving when you have the ball.
Oh, its definitely the right goal. I was just acknowledging the difficulties in achieving it.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

JCSunsfan wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:

Oh, its definitely the right goal. I was just acknowledging the difficulties in achieving it.
8-)

carey

Post by carey »

https://twitter.com/NBA_Math/status/930465367142445057

Well, that's not good.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

That same stat listed Chriss as our best defender, so I wouldn't put too much stock in it

Cap

Post by Cap »

Split T wrote:That same stat listed Chriss as our best defender, so I wouldn't put too much stock in it
Well, somebody has to be our best defender. Who do you think it is?

Chriss is leading us in blocks by a wide margin and has one of the best (OK, least bad) +/-s on the team.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Cap wrote:
Split T wrote:That same stat listed Chriss as our best defender, so I wouldn't put too much stock in it

Chriss is leading us in blocks by a wide margin and has one of the best (OK, least bad) +/-s on the team.
Can we just ignore +-? It just is such a useless stat. It depends on which unit you play with and the overall success of the team.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Cap wrote:

Can we just ignore +-? It just is such a useless stat. It depends on which unit you play with and the overall success of the team.
I don't know if it's a useless stat, it depends on the context. You do have players that won't fill up the stat sheet, but will do things that aren't measured well to win when they are on the floor. Setting screens, making a pass that leads to an assist, running the lanes, hustle plays, boxing out and keeping the opposition from getting the board, etc.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

carey wrote:

https://twitter.com/NBA_Math/status/930465367142445057

Well, that's not good.
Josh is on an island