Suns News: Week 16 1/29-2/4

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JustWinBaby

Re: Suns News: Week 16 1/29-2/4

Post by JustWinBaby »

Superbone wrote:Everybody is beating a dead horse. We all know McD screwed up with Bledsoe. Multiple times.
I didn't think he screwed up at all when he traded Dudley for Bledsoe. I thought it had a chance to work.

The problem is all the things that have transpired since then. It is just not one move.

It has been one clusterfook after another.

It is hard for me to understand why anyone wants to let McDonough make any decisions for this franchise going forward. He quite frankly has been horrible. He has the charisma and charm of a grapefruit while alienating more players and coaches than anyone in league history. He has not been able to sign one legit free agent unless there were one setp from hospice, his trades have been proven to be horrible unless you have a fetish for collecting the most draft picks possible. His drafts have for the most part been a disaster.

I repeat he should be fired right after the trade deadline and a new GM should be brought in to learn about our roster first hand as well as our coaches. He should be allowed the best and brightest scouts possible so that we do not turn this summer into another clusterfook. If this does not happen I have little faith that anything is going to change at all.

Another thing I do not want to hear is that Sarver is making all the decisions for him. If that is the case then he should definitely leave, on his own accord. His present and future reputation is on the line.

If you were the owner of another franchise, any franchise. Would you hire Ryan McDonnough. Virtually all of the managers and coaches that were with us right after Sarver purchased this franchise have found a job elsewhere in the NBA. Since Babby was hired I cannot think of any coach or manager that was hired by Sarver that is currently working in the NBA other than Hornacek.
This BUD'S for us! - Play fast Play well - Go Suns!

1tinsoldier

Post by 1tinsoldier »

the bottom line
we got screwed by having to trade low on Bledsoe
and dumping Monroe diminishes that return even further

in their mind, it's still all good if the accelerated timeline goes smooth
-- if we get a good pick and move on a star this summer
2 huge ifs

you can't rely on getting lucky to get ahead of the competition
you've got to make better decisions and get the better end of deals with the competition
and we haven't done that in a long time

Split T

Post by Split T »

His drafts have for the most part been a disaster.
A lot of your comments are fair, but this is just not true. He's drafted Len, Warren, Booker, Bender/Chriss, and Jackson. Warren and Booker are fantastic picks. Jackson is to be determined but looks promising. Len has been mostly dissapointing, but that draft has been mostly dissapointing. Same with Chriss/Bender, jury is still out on them, but that draft looks bad overall as well.

carey

Post by carey »

Warren and Booker both went where nearly every mock draft had them going. Kudos to McDonough for not overthinking it.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

His drafts haven't been a disaster. His drafts have been very mediocre excluding TJ and Booker. Like Carey pointed out he drafted TJ and Booker using a mock draft cheat sheet. For someone who was supposed to be a guru at analysing talent, color me unimpressed. Hell, INF would blow this dude out of the water when it comes to talent evaluation and team construction.

Split T

Post by Split T »

carey wrote:Warren and Booker both went where nearly every mock draft had them going. Kudos to McDonough for not overthinking it.
As did Bender, Chriss, Len, and Jackson. If he doesn't get credit for drafting Booker and Warren, can we criticize him for drafting the others?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

iLLmatic wrote:His drafts haven't been a disaster. His drafts have been very mediocre excluding TJ and Booker. Like Carey pointed out he drafted TJ and Booker using a mock draft cheat sheet. For someone who was supposed to be a guru at analysing talent, color me unimpressed. Hell, INF would blow this dude out of the water when it comes to talent evaluation and team construction.
I'm not going to compliment his team construction, 'cause every year the team is constructed shittily. But I think you have the mock draft thing backwards. The folks who make mock drafts have seen our team needs and correctly predicted our moves.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

1tinsoldier

Post by 1tinsoldier »

given the luck factor it's hard to consider draft decisions in evaluating suns management
i thought Jackson was the sound decision this year
and if i analyzed other years, i'm sure they were rational decisions
like i said, it's dealing with other teams that is the differentiating, winning mechanism

both the suns and warriors were smart enough to pick Curry in the draft
but the warriors were shrewd enough to hang on to him after we had a verbal commitment
because suns management misplayed their hand

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

djy2j wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:A bit of an over reaction in regard to Monroe by many folks.

He’s never been a part of any long-term plan for us, and making a deal to match his salary would be a bad move because it would likely put more money on the cap for future seasons. No team is giving up a young asset or pick to acquire him without shedding a bad contract.

The FO treated him well, and that’s something we haven’t had a reputation of doing so much in recent years.
Seriously. Fans overvaluing our assets. Archie, DJJ, Monroe, etc. nobody is giving anything up for these players. There’s a reason he’s been on our roster thus far and a reason it took so long for MIL to trade him despite 2 years of rumors
We gave up what some would call a "pretty good point guard" for him. It's not like the guy is done. HE does alot of things well. He just doesn't fit to what the Suns are trying to do. OR what we hope they are trying to do. Plus his deal is expiring.

We traded Bledsoe for a middle to late first round pick at best. This is not OK.
Nobody wanted our PG either. We didn’t trade Bledsoe for Monroe, we got Monroe to make the contracts work and we traded for that pick.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

https://twitter.com/sbordow/status/959221706421288961

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

https://twitter.com/sbordow/status/959222584343588870

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Here’s link to a highlight reel of him. Having trouble embedding the video for some reason.
[youtube][/youtube]

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

https://twitter.com/awexlerKPRC/status/959233187091288064

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

bajanguy008 wrote:

https://twitter.com/awexlerKPRC/status/959233187091288064

https://twitter.com/NBAonTNT/status/959233100634050560

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

carey

Post by carey »

Interesting. Gray played for LSU where he didn't exactly light the world on fire. He's averaging 18/4/6 for the NAZ though.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

carey wrote:Warren and Booker both went where nearly every mock draft had them going. Kudos to McDonough for not overthinking it.
I don't have a problem with praising Ryan for those picks. Give credit where credit is due; no need to shortchange him.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Not being able to do anything with Monroe's contract is a blunder though.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

#theblunderyears

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

iLLmatic wrote:
Charlie Smithy! wrote:Sign Eric Bledsoe to 70 million dollar contract with no competing suitors, trade him for greg monroe, and........yeah.

I wonder if/when McD is let go, if Bledsoe will end up being the catalyst, in retrospect.

Holy s*** a Charlie Smithy sighting!
I missed you!

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:Everybody is beating a dead horse. We all know McD screwed up with Bledsoe. Multiple times.
No. We want to be beating a dead horse. But the horse is alive and kicking our team over and over again.