Suns News: Week 16 1/29-2/4

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Suns News: Week 16 1/29-2/4

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
carey wrote:Warren and Booker both went where nearly every mock draft had them going. Kudos to McDonough for not overthinking it.
I don't have a problem with praising Ryan for those picks. Give credit where credit is due; no need to shortchange him.
It isn't fair to call him a bad drafter. He is perfectly mediocre at it. He sucks at putting together a cohesive team (including a coaching staff), managing personalities, and making trades (with the Dragic one a good deal from the hole Ryan put us in).

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

OK, who was better, Kerr or McD?
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

carey

Post by carey »

Like it or not Kerr has to own the Kurt Thomas & 2 1st round picks salary dump AND breaking up the best Suns trio of all time with the Shaq-Marion trade. He also gets to own drafting Dragic tho.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:Like it or not Kerr has to own the Kurt Thomas & 2 1st round picks salary dump AND breaking up the best Suns trio of all time with the Shaq-Marion trade. He also gets to own drafting Dragic tho.
Kerr admits trading Marion for Shaq was a mistake, btw. He also acknowledges that he should have better communicated and worked it out with D'Antoni.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

carey

Re: RE: Re: Suns News: Week 16 1/29-2/4

Post by carey »

Superbone wrote:
carey wrote:Like it or not Kerr has to own the Kurt Thomas & 2 1st round picks salary dump AND breaking up the best Suns trio of all time with the Shaq-Marion trade. He also gets to own drafting Dragic tho.
Kerr admits trading Marion for Shaq was a mistake, btw. He also acknowledges that he should have better communicated and worked it out with D'Antoni.
Yeah, and he said Sarver forced him to do the KT deal. Still, those are both on him.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Good to see McDonald got bent over again by his master:

http://arizonasports.com/story/1401872/ ... -pelicans/

1tinsoldier

Post by 1tinsoldier »

1tinsoldier wrote:the bottom line
we got screwed by having to trade low on Bledsoe
and dumping Monroe diminishes that return even further

in their mind, it's still all good if the accelerated timeline goes smooth
-- if we get a good pick and move on a star this summer
2 huge ifs
if their move is add someone like Avery Bradley this summer all i can say is WTF!

they could have just kept Monroe who's about the same age and fills a need here

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Sobriety check on Monroe - He looks good on offense, but he really didn't help us overall. He's a bad defender, he's not that great a pick setter, and he takes up space around the basket that is needed by other guys. The team wasn't better with him on the court. He is our 2nd worst player this season in terms of +/- per 100 possessions.

I'm very interested to see what Stevens does with him in Boston.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I will welcome Bradley with open arms. I have no other choice. Hoping he's not another Knight.

"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:I will welcome Bradley with open arms. I have no other choice. Hoping he's not another Knight.
It would have a lot in common with the Knight acquisition, to be sure. His advanced stats are terrible (and for all the talk of Knight being AASE, his RPM in Milwaukee was horrible), and his primary position is the one position where we are strongest. At least this time we (presumably) won't be giving up a primo lottery pick for the privilege of signing the deal.

ETA: Come to think of it, we might not even know if it does. Some other team could offer us a good pick to take a salary off their hands, and management could refuse in order to keep the cap room to sign Bradley, and we here at the site would never even know about the pick we could have had.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:I will welcome Bradley with open arms. I have no other choice. Hoping he's not another Knight.
It would have a lot in common with the Knight acquisition, to be sure. His advanced stats are terrible (and for all the talk of Knight being AASE, his RPM in Milwaukee was horrible), and his primary position is the one position where we are strongest. At least this time we (presumably) won't be giving up a primo lottery pick for the privilege of signing the deal.

ETA: Come to think of it, we might not even know if it does. Some other team could offer us a good pick to take a salary off their hands, and management could refuse in order to keep the cap room to sign Bradley, and we here at the site would never even know about the pick we could have had.
But Cap, we have too many young guys. We wouldn't have enough roster space to take on another pick regardless if it's good or not.

1tinsoldier

Post by 1tinsoldier »

Kidd wants to land the Suns coaching job in the offseason
JUST SAY NO
he did a great job on the floor when he was here
but his dark side came out clear once he left for the Nets and in his coaching career

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

1tinsoldier wrote:Kidd wants to land the Suns coaching job in the offseason
JUST SAY NO
but his dark side came out clear once he left for the Nets and in his coaching career
Why would he want to coach in this one horse town? Throw some fries at him and tell him to go away.

"Be Legendary."

1tinsoldier

Post by 1tinsoldier »

O_Gardino wrote:Sobriety check on Monroe - He looks good on offense, but he really didn't help us overall. He's a bad defender, he's not that great a pick setter, and he takes up space around the basket that is needed by other guys. The team wasn't better with him on the court. He is our 2nd worst player this season in terms of +/- per 100 possessions.

yes, let's see what a real team gets out of him in the playoffs

i don't need no stinking +/- number to override what i've seen with my own eyes -- and that was a professional NBA center surrounded by amateurs. True centers excel with a true point guard to work with and Booker would benefit from the threat down low.

+/- is highly dependent on who's on the floor with you, and if you aren't a starter it's not very flattering

1tinsoldier

Post by 1tinsoldier »

Superbone wrote:
1tinsoldier wrote:Kidd wants to land the Suns coaching job in the offseason
JUST SAY NO
Why would he want to coach in this one horse town? Throw some fries at him and tell him to go away.
i think he'd be happy and lucky to coach anywhere next season
i'd rather keep triano

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

1tinsoldier wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:Sobriety check on Monroe - He looks good on offense, but he really didn't help us overall. He's a bad defender, he's not that great a pick setter, and he takes up space around the basket that is needed by other guys. The team wasn't better with him on the court. He is our 2nd worst player this season in terms of +/- per 100 possessions.

i don't need no stinking +/- number to override what i've seen with my own eyes -- and that was a professional NBA center surrounded by amateurs. True centers excel with a true point guard to work with and Booker would benefit from the threat down low.

+/- is highly dependent on who's on the floor with you, and if you aren't a starter it's not very flattering
I don;t need advanced metrics to tell me he's horrible defensively. He can score and is a decent rebounder, but he's not any help at all defensively either on or off the ball.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

The Bobster wrote:
1tinsoldier wrote:

I don;t need advanced metrics to tell me he's horrible defensively. He can score and is a decent rebounder, but he's not any help at all defensively either on or off the ball.
Lol. Is he your cousin or something 1tin? You must've been watching a different player.

He's got a great touch around the rim. That's about it. He may be the worst defender I've ever seen in the pick and roll. Made Amare look elite.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

carey wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Yeah, and he said Sarver forced him to do the KT deal. Still, those are both on him.
Kerr specificaaly said the KT deal was ALL on him and NOT on Sarver and that was long after he was gone.

carey

Post by carey »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Kerr specificaaly said the KT deal was ALL on him and NOT on Sarver and that was long after he was gone.
Say what? I specifically recall Kerr saying he was forced to do that trade. Strange that you are remembering the opposite.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!