SUNS 2014: Free Agency

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
SDC

Re: SUNS 2014: Free Agency

Post by SDC »

my guess is that bledsoe doesnt want to sign for anything less than 12 mil per year, but doesnt want to accept the milwaukee offer too because mcdo might not match it (more than a possibility) and he be stuck in cold milwaukee. i also see dragic being able to accept his fate if he gets shipped to the bucks.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

carey wrote:I can no longer answer questions about contract size & longevity. This whole market is wacky.
Yeah, I get what you mean. I have this bad feeling that I am going to wake up tomorrow and find out that we are going to sign him to a ridiculous offer sheet.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:I can no longer answer questions about contract size & longevity. This whole market is wacky.
He. I was thinking the same. But if this offseason is not an aberration we can extract some conclusions, like

<4M won't buy you anything more than a third string, if that.
~Full MLE is the new 4M.
~8M is the new full MLE.
Star-ish UFA: 12M+ or don't bother.
Relevant RFA: Max or GTFO.

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

Sacramento media guy reporting that Isaiah Thomas is close to being a Sun:

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Xylus wrote:Sacramento media guy reporting that Isaiah Thomas is close to being a Sun:

Ok, before I overreact because my mind is going to go overdrive with worst case scenarios. I should just let things happen. I might end up in SDC's court and put #McDOUT in my sig.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think I can talk myself into this signing. If you just ignore the money and ask yourself, would I want this guy on the Suns as backup PG rather than Ish Smith, the answer is absolutely YES. You say, does he stunt the development of Ennis? Look, I like the Ennis pick, but he's a rookie. I don't think you want a rookie as your third guard. Let Ennis grow and develop slowly in a low-pressure 4th guard slot. Let him get a few D-League stints without it breaking our guard rotation. Let him watch and learn without being expected to shoulder a ton of load. It's fine. We'll bring him along.

As long as they don't pay IT eight-figures a year, I think this signing will be fine.

carey

Post by carey »

Someone has to explain why we're signing him. I keep reading stuff on Twitter about him being a great 3rd guard, but Goodwin is going to be our 3rd guard. And don't give me any shit about a Kevin Love trade. If he goes anywhere it's to Cleveland.

Does McDonough plan on letting Bledsoe become a Laker? Is Goodwin going to be our starting 2?

This is perplexing on so many levels to me.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Who keeps 4 pgs? I'm sorry Mori, but they would end up having 6 rotational players in the two guard spots. If Ennis is getting raves about his ability, his skill level, why would you stunt his growth as a 4th pg and never ever play him? Sounds like they would send him to Bakersfield for at least a year or their is a trade in the works to rid the Suns of one or two of them. Ennis is going to be a very good starting pg in the league, and still has a much higher upside than IT2.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

From Ken Berger at CBSSports:
League sources also say stars now align in post-decision world for Luol Deng to land in Phoenix. Several teams still in mix.
Really?

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

ShelC wrote:From Ken Berger at CBSSports:
League sources also say stars now align in post-decision world for Luol Deng to land in Phoenix. Several teams still in mix.
Really?
Uhhhh. I don't even know what's going on anymore. How many point guards and small forwards do we need?

EDC

Post by EDC »

Next thing that will happen is we will sign a sub par vet center with just enough skill to play. That way none of our young guys will get any minutes.

If IT and Deng go through Goodwin, Ennis and TJ won't get any minutes.

PG: Bledsoe - IT - Ennis
SG: Dragic - Green - Goodwin
SF: Deng - PJ - Marcus - TJ

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

They have to step up their game to get Love. Trade Dragic, Bledsoe, Green, Marcus and Markieff for Len and Martin

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I hope that doesn't happen.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

IT would make one of the best 6th men in the L. If the money is not stupid I can talk myself into digging it, but under no circumstance it should mean parting ways with Goran Dragic unless you are bringing back what you just won't. Turning Bledsoe into Thomas is a clear downgrade on all accounts but health and cap wise so I hope this doesn't mean Bledsoe is gone, at least for nothing (or if the something is Thomas).

As for roster impact, well, Ennis will probably spend a lot of time taking notes and Archie is SG bound, in my opinion. Gerald Green wouldn't be the sole gunner on the roster anymore and I could see him moved. Honestly, I'd give NO a call about that Ryan Anderson scenario. And maybe the Raptors still want Ennis, although Vasquez has just been re-signed. Also, being so guard heavy without more stretch PF than Kieff-Marcus is not exactly the best thing I've heard, but a lot can happen still.

Anyway, this is not the scenario I would have pursued, that's for sure.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

ShelC wrote:From Ken Berger at CBSSports:
Really?
My reaction exactly.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

All I can do at this point is to pray that McD knows what he is doing. After all the moves are made, possibly as late as the trade deadline, we can collectively decide whether to anoit McD and Babby the twin saints of the desert -- or make a huge apology to SDC, whose views admittedly seem out of alignment with reality.

It does seem that the current regime is obsessed about value -- bang for the buck. Thomas seems to be in a situation where he's going to be paid less than market value. Maybe the Suns can also get a good deal on Deng. By that logic, would Dragic be a goner?

I'm done guessing.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

EDC wrote:Next thing that will happen is we will sign a sub par vet center with just enough skill to play. That way none of our young guys will get any minutes.

If IT and Deng go through Goodwin, Ennis and TJ won't get any minutes.

PG: Bledsoe - IT - Ennis
SG: Dragic - Green - Goodwin
SF: Deng - PJ - Marcus - TJ
He could get time at PF, if their summer league plans are to mean anything.

But Deng is just so unspiring...

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

virtual9mm wrote:It does seem that the current regime is obsessed about value -- bang for the buck. Thomas seems to be in a situation where he's going to be paid less than market value. Maybe the Suns can also get a good deal on Deng. By that logic, would Dragic be a goner?

I'm done guessing.
Don't be. That's a very good point.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

carey wrote:Someone has to explain why we're signing him. I keep reading stuff on Twitter about him being a great 3rd guard, but Goodwin is going to be our 3rd guard. And don't give me any shit about a Kevin Love trade. If he goes anywhere it's to Cleveland.

Does McDonough plan on letting Bledsoe become a Laker? Is Goodwin going to be our starting 2?

I'm with you (and In2). Very confused about this Thomas stuff. Struggling to see how he doesn't just contribute to a back-log at guard when we have other clear holes to fill. It will also impact Warren, because Green needs his minutes which he'll get more of at the 3, which will push TJ our of the mix.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Shabazz wrote:
carey wrote:Someone has to explain why we're signing him. I keep reading stuff on Twitter about him being a great 3rd guard, but Goodwin is going to be our 3rd guard. And don't give me any shit about a Kevin Love trade. If he goes anywhere it's to Cleveland.

I'm with you (and In2). Very confused about this Thomas stuff. Struggling to see how he doesn't just contribute to a back-log at guard when we have other clear holes to fill. It will also impact Warren, because Green needs his minutes which he'll get more of at the 3, which will push TJ our of the mix.
Maybe they have a deal with Nate Bjorkgren that they will stack his team for them and have a real development/minor league team.