Who would you pick if we get the #3 draft pick?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Bagley
60%
JJJ
15%
Young
5%
Bamba
15%
Porter Jr.
No votes
Carter Jr.
No votes
Other
5%

Total votes: 20

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Since Doncic and Ayton seem to be the consensus 1/2 picks, who would you pick with #3? Also state your second choice in your message in case we get the dreaded #4 pick.
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Re: Who would you pick if we get the #3 draft pick?

Post by specialsauce »

Kawhi Leonard
Marvin Bagley

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'd take Bagley right now but I'm intrigued by Porter and Bamba.
Last edited by ShelC on Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Bagley is my top choice at #3 right now. 4 is Carter or JJJ. I can't decide. I haven't ruled out Porter or Bamba either.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Who picked other? Bridges?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I picked Bagley followed by Bamba.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I picked Bagley, which I wouldn't be sad about it either. I have JJJ outside my top 6. I think his ceiling is a rich man's Noah Vonleh role player.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

TOO

Post by TOO »

Bamba is a fairly clear 3 for me, I cannot get past his potential defensive upside.

4th I wanna trade.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

Can we start a “who would you pick WHEN we get the #4 pick” thread? Ar least to try the old reverse jinx if nothing else.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:Who picked other? Bridges?
I did. My vote was to trade for Leonard.

carey

Post by carey »

Image+Image
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I really just don't know. I'll cry my way through these other prospects after the 15, I guess. I like MPJ if he's healthy. He could be one of the best 2 way players in recent drafts.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I say don't over-think it, take the consensus 3rd best guy in Bagley. Not an ideal fit here (what to do with Bender/Chriss?) but seems like a really talented prospect who could end up being a star if everything worked out perfectly. Bit worried about his defense, but the rest of his game is really solid. Frankly I don't think Ayton is much more of a lock as a prospect than Bagley and wouldn't be at all shocked if Bagley ends up the better player. Not saying Bagley is better, just that I don't think you can say with great confidence that the gap between the two is wide.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I say don't over-think it, take the consensus 3rd best guy in Bagley. Not an ideal fit here (what to do with Bender/Chriss?) but seems like a really talented prospect who could end up being a star if everything worked out perfectly. Bit worried about his defense, but the rest of his game is really solid. Frankly I don't think Ayton is much more of a lock as a prospect than Bagley and wouldn't be at all shocked if Bagley ends up the better player. Not saying Bagley is better, just that I don't think you can say with great confidence that the gap between the two is wide.
Agreed, I've got Bagley/Doncic/Ayton essentially tied on my board. Ayton just checks a lot of physical boxes. He's bigger, stronger and looks like a monster. Bagley is skinny and not that long. It's easier to imagine Ayton turning into a defensive monster than it is for Bagley. I think Bagley is the better offensive prospect though.

I actually don't know that Bagley is a bad fit here. Chriss and Bender are the kind of guys you'd want next to him. Assuming they develop that is. Bender's calling card is defense and spacing the floor and I think Chriss made some pretty big strides defensively this past year. Chriss is our best rim protector and, in theory, can space the floor as well.

If we draft Bagley, I would love to get my hands on a guy like JJJ to put next to him. Myles Turner too if Indy ever let's him go.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Split T wrote:Who picked other? Bridges?
I did. My vote was to trade for Leonard.
Gotcha, that makes sense

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

My main worry about Bagley from what I've read is that he isn't as good a passer as Ayton. Big men who can pass can really help an offense. And Ayton's way better at that aspect of the game from the stats and articles I've read. He's no Vlade or Sabonis, but he is much better than Bagley, who might be more of a black hole.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:My main worry about Bagley from what I've read is that he isn't as good a passer as Ayton. Big men who can pass can really help an offense. And Ayton's way better at that aspect of the game from the stats and articles I've read. He's no Vlade or Sabonis, but he is much better than Bagley, who might be more of a black hole.
He's no Jokic, but he used to play pg growing up. He's actually a very nice passer for a big. I would rate him above Chriss, Bender, Len, Chandler, Gortat, Amare and whoever else has played pf/c for the Suns in the past 20 years.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Bagley to me is the safest player in the draft. As a face up 5, he's going to be very good offensively. If he figures out how to use his right hand and his shot proves to be legit, he's an offensive superstar. He checks every other box offensively:

Monster on the offensive glass
Big time lob threat
Good post moves
Agile in the lane
Good role man
Handles the ball in the open court
He's flashed above average passing, but we'll have to see how that translates

Defensively is where the concerns are. He moves well and I've seen him make plays on that end, but he's gonna be a project there.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:My main worry about Bagley from what I've read is that he isn't as good a passer as Ayton. Big men who can pass can really help an offense. And Ayton's way better at that aspect of the game from the stats and articles I've read. He's no Vlade or Sabonis, but he is much better than Bagley, who might be more of a black hole.
He's no Jokic, but he used to play pg growing up. He's actually a very nice passer for a big. I would rate him above Chriss, Bender, Len, Chandler, Gortat, Amare and whoever else has played pf/c for the Suns in the past 20 years.

Like I said in the other thread, I really don't know where I got the idea that Bagley doesn't pass. I've had this clear understanding that Ayton is a decent to good passer for a big guy and Bagley just doesn't pass. Then I looked up the numbers, and there's really not much difference in their assist. Maybe Bagley is a fine passer after all.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

When I said that "my main worry about Bagley is his passing," I should have clarified that I meant on offense. I have also read/heard that Bagley is bad on D, which is unfortunate. I don't know about his rebounding; haven't read about that yet. But I do worry that we have too many players on our roster who are both bad at shooting and bad at defense, which seems like a recipe to lose a lot of basketball games.