2018 NBA Playoffs, First Round

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: 2018 NBA Playoffs, First Round

Post by Ring_Wanted »

specialsauce wrote:I really hate JR Smith. He’s a really dumb player.
Absolutely. That last play was so bad. Should have passed to a wide open Korver. You are not going to get a better shot a winning than that.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

ShelC wrote: I asked last year and I'll ask again: How long can Tyronne Lue get a pass? I get he's in a near impossible situation having to coach LeBron and maybe that's why people won't criticize him. Maybe he's a likable guy so people go easy on him. But they run next to no offense and their defense is trash, yet coaching is never brought up with the Cavs.
This is my thing too, last yr many of my good buddies like most of the Bball world wanted Warriors to lose cuz they felt KD should not have joined them. All that might be fair, to each his own but my thing was simple. One team has player and ball movement and the other team is your turn my turn ISO Ball with ppl just standing around so I was all for the team playing better basketball.
Last night was so silly to me, they did the customary sit Bron in last minute of 1st quarter to try steal couple extra mins of real time fore bringing him back early in the 2nd. The bench actually increased the lead and that was the longest time Bron been on the bench all series. Now granted the lead got cut from 17 to single digits but they were still up 7/8 pts late in the 3rd. Bron doesn't come out , ends up playing the whole 2nd half and despite hitting those 3s he was clearly on E. I don't know if that is all on Lue or Bron deciding it was necessary to go the entire half but that made lil sense either way
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC wrote:The big debate now is whether this is LeBron's worst team/supporting cast. I don't think it is by a longshot. The 06-07 team was trash. This team has Kevin Love, Jordan Clarkson, Rodney Hood, George Hill, Kyle Korver, even Larry Nance Jr and Jeff Green. Maybe some of those guys don't have playoff experience, but the talent is there. I asked last year and I'll ask again: How long can Tyronne Lue get a pass? I get he's in a near impossible situation having to coach LeBron and maybe that's why people won't criticize him. Maybe he's a likable guy so people go easy on him. But they run next to no offense and their defense is trash, yet coaching is never brought up with the Cavs.
I agree; this team is not all that bad. I don't think it is a title team, but there are a lot of pieces to work with. They have shooting, ball-handling, athleticism, defense, many of the ingredients you want for success. I also think people calling this team trash are severely underrating Kevin Love. Love has been marginalized in Cleveland, but he's a guy who can give you 20-30 points and 10-15 rebounds on any given night if you let him.

I also agree that Lue's laissez-faire coaching is a problem for them. I think it's a paradox with Lebron: You can't hire a strict coach to rule over the team because Lebron won't stand for it. But this particular team would be so much better with a Spoelstra or a Carlisle at the helm. Marginal guys like Hood or Clarkson or Nance would do so much better in a more organized system, to say nothing of a dead-eye sharpshooter like Kyle Korver or even Love, who would probably get way better looks from 3 if the coach had a better offense.

carey

Post by carey »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Absolutely. That last play was so bad. Should have passed to a wide open Korver. You are not going to get a better shot a winning than that.
In all fairness to JR, Korver was 0-3 with 0 points last night. That possibly factored into his decision.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

carey wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
In all fairness to JR, Korver was 0-3 with 0 points last night. That possibly factored into his decision.
It felt like JR missed his last 10 shots.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Love too was wide open at the top of the 3 point circle.
"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Like the good Suns fan that I am, I am punishing myself a little watching Dragic playing against the 76rs...

Oh, and on defense he is hidden on the corner guarding Covington. Smart Spo.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Maaan nobody wants a piece of James Johnson. He is the police. People know he is a LeBron body that knows how to (semi) professionally fight.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This Philly / Miami series is a joy. The Sixers are so much fun to watch; so much young talent and potential. And Miami is full of cagey veterans and tough guys, with an insanely clever coach at the helm. Rooting for Philly but wouldn't mind a long series here.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:This Philly / Miami series is a joy. The Sixers are so much fun to watch; so much young talent and potential. And Miami is full of cagey veterans and tough guys, with an insanely clever coach at the helm. Rooting for Philly but wouldn't mind a long series here.
Miami needs this one. Philly probably takes it in 5 if they win this game.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:Miami needs this one. Philly probably takes it in 5 if they win this game.
I think that's right. I think Philly wins the series either way, but this is a crucial game for Miami to have any chance to make it a long series.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya, Philly doesn't look great right now, Miami could push this to 7

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

If Miami wins this game I could see them taking the series. 76rs don't have a lot of experience and such pressure could be too much for a first time.

If Johnson thugs Simmons the Heat are in a grea position.

Split T

Post by Split T »

It's possible, but Philly has the best two players. Philly is playing pretty poorly right now and are still within 9. If their shots start falling, Philly could steal this game and that would be demoralizing to Miami.

I do like Miami. They've got a lot of nice players. No real stars, but Richardson, Johnson, Winslow, Ellington, olynyk, and of course dragic are all really nice.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Such a chippy game.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:It's possible, but Philly has the best two players. Philly is playing pretty poorly right now and are still within 9. If their shots start falling, Philly could steal this game and that would be demoralizing to Miami.

I do like Miami. They've got a lot of nice players. No real stars, but Richardson, Johnson, Winslow, Ellington, olynyk, and of course dragic are all really nice.
They are in an underrated position this summer. They have Bam to replace Whiteside, who they can use to make a move for a different quality player. Wouldn't be surprised if they somehow managed to trade for a star.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya I forgot about Bam, I like him too. Philly has tied the game up though.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Split T wrote:It's possible, but Philly has the best two players. Philly is playing pretty poorly right now and are still within 9. If their shots start falling, Philly could steal this game and that would be demoralizing to Miami.

They are in an underrated position this summer. They have Bam to replace Whiteside, who they can use to make a move for a different quality player. Wouldn't be surprised if they somehow managed to trade for a star.
I don't think anyone is giving up an asset for Whiteside on his contract. They play hard but really lack shooting. They are at 50% from the line in this game, terrible.

Split T

Post by Split T »

That's my new nightmare, us going after Whiteside this summer...

Split T

Post by Split T »

New Orleans is really good! Holiday has made a little jump here in the playoffs and playoff Rondo showing up has been huge. Having a second ball handler is crucial for them. AD is MVP level good right now and Niko has been fantastic as a stretch 4. They've got a couple options for that 5th guy, Moore is ok and Miller can hit some shots as well. They are one 3D wing away from being a real contender. Even still, I think they might give golden State some issues with Curry not healthy.