Who's your top guy at 16 if we keep the pick.

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Who is your top target at 16?

Jontay Porter
26%
Robert Williams
2%
Zhaire Smith
11%
Aaron Holiday
26%
Shake Milton
7%
DeAnthony Melton
No votes
Mitchell Robinson
4%
Kevin Knox
No votes
Keita Bates-Diop
No votes
Khyri Thomas
2%
Jacob Evans
No votes
Anfernee Simons
No votes
Troy Brown
2%
Lonnie Walker
4%
Dzanan Musa
4%
Rodions Kuric
No votes
Other
11%

Total votes: 46

carey

Re: Who's your top guy at 16 if we keep the pick.

Post by carey »

Bruiser wrote:

I have Porter as our first option too but I fear he will not be there when we pick. People are torn on him though. Shake will almost certainly be there but he of course doesn't make too much sense if we don't end up drafting a big guy with our 1-4 pick. So for me this question depends a little bit on our first selection. Yeah BPA - but developing a potentially good player into a building block of the franchise also depends on the team's circumstances, such as available playing time at that position.

Since the league is a lot more about making shots (threes in particular) than a few years ago I would prefer to get at least one excellent shooter with one of our first round picks.

Donic and Porter vs. Ayton/Bagley/JJJ and X (e.g. Shake?)
Hey, Bruiser! Ain't seen you around since the start of the season. Good to have you back. Post more!

I think if we keep #16 we'll definitely get someone useful and it will be a big man if we draft Luka or Young and a ball handling guard if we draft Ayton or Bagley. There's some intriguing big men in that range besides Jontay. Robert Williams as an athletic roll man. The kid from down the road here in Chalmette straight out of HS, Mitchell Robinson. That UNLV kid, Brandon McCoy. They are all intriguing and we'll have a couple of months to pour over highlights and debate their potential worthiness.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

carey wrote:
Bruiser wrote:

I have Porter as our first option too but I fear he will not be there when we pick. People are torn on him though. Shake will almost certainly be there but he of course doesn't make too much sense if we don't end up drafting a big guy with our 1-4 pick. So for me this question depends a little bit on our first selection. Yeah BPA - but developing a potentially good player into a building block of the franchise also depends on the team's circumstances, such as available playing time at that position.

Since the league is a lot more about making shots (threes in particular) than a few years ago I would prefer to get at least one excellent shooter with one of our first round picks.

Donic and Porter vs. Ayton/Bagley/JJJ and X (e.g. Shake?)
Hey, Bruiser! Ain't seen you around since the start of the season. Good to have you back. Post more!

I think if we keep #16 we'll definitely get someone useful and it will be a big man if we draft Luka or Young and a ball handling guard if we draft Ayton or Bagley. There's some intriguing big men in that range besides Jontay. Robert Williams as an athletic roll man. The kid from down the road here in Chalmette straight out of HS, Mitchell Robinson. That UNLV kid, Brandon McCoy. They are all intriguing and we'll have a couple of months to pour over highlights and debate their potential worthiness.
I've McCoy as low as 54 recently. It would seem so Suns to pick him at 16 when 31 would seem like a reach.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (hoping he slips) or Troy Brown. Would like to see more size in the Suns backcourt ... tired of all the 5-8 to 6-1 guys.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

LazarusLong wrote:Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (hoping he slips) or Troy Brown. Would like to see more size in the Suns backcourt ... tired of all the 5-8 to 6-1 guys.
Shake Milton?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

In2ition wrote:
LazarusLong wrote:Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (hoping he slips) or Troy Brown. Would like to see more size in the Suns backcourt ... tired of all the 5-8 to 6-1 guys.
Shake Milton?
I see predictions of him as a high second-rounder.
Don't know that much about him.
Now, if he's a gem in the rough, maybe they can pick him with one of their second round selections.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Split T

Post by Split T »

LazarusLong wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Shake Milton?
I see predictions of him as a high second-rounder.
Don't know that much about him.
Now, if he's a gem in the rough, maybe they can pick him with one of their second round selections.
I love Shai, I think he goes in the 9-12 range though. He's a big guard with a ton of length who is always under control, runs the offense well and can hit an open 3. He's not a super athlete, but his length let's him get by people without elite quickness. He defends well, although the speedy 1's might give him trouble. Some people don't believe in his jumpshot, and while he's not a dynamic shooter(no pull up game) his catch and shoot 3 looks good to me.

I'm a big Shake fan as well. He's also a lengthy 6'6 with 7'0 wingspan guard who can defend. His shot is legit. Shot like 43% over 3 years. I'm less confident in his ability as a PG though. Still, he's big enough to be a 3D wing who can defend 3 positions, shoot lights out, and do some secondary creation.

Landry Shamet might be the best shooter of the bunch, he's big too at 6'4/6'5, but not the same athlete as the other two.

Aaron Holiday has the best combination of PG skills and advanced shooting. He's smaller, probably 6'1/6'2, but long with a 6'7 wingspan and will be able to defend his position well. Not sure he provides much help covering Booker on D

Melton is the best defensive PG. At 6'3 with a 6'8 wingspan and a strong NBA body, he can defend multiple positions. He sat out this year and may have an improved jumper, but he struggled big time as a freshman. Shades of Marcus Smart.

Troy Brown has a lot of skills, he's 6'7, can probably defend 3 positions, maybe even some small ball 4's in time. He was a PG in highschool, but again, he needs to work on his shot and that scares me a bit.

I believe in shake, Shamet, and holidays shot and to an extent Shai. So right now, those are my top PG prospects.

Khyri Thomas is another one. He's more in the Avery Bradley mold where he's not really a PG though. I think he'll shoot and defend though and can make a play off the dribble.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Thanks for the breakdown, Sp|it!
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Been watching some khyri Thomas highlights, he's very intriguing. I haven't watched much, but I like what I see. Maybe some Donovan Mitchell potential?

[youtube][/youtube]

Split T

Post by Split T »

Here's his defense:

[youtube][/youtube]

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

specialsauce wrote:Don’t know enough about any of the players , I won’t vote but I’ll be quick to criticize McD if they don’t pan out
This should be included in the poll!!! :lol:

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Split T wrote:Here's his defense:

[youtube][/youtube]
Wow. That kid is a ball hawk. Great defensive instincts on the wing. Super anticipation. It takes an incredible level of mental engagement to play like that.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Split T wrote:Here's his defense:

[youtube][/youtube]
Wow. That kid is a ball hawk. Great defensive instincts on the wing. Super anticipation. It takes an incredible level of mental engagement to play like that.
Plus, he shoots the lights out. But he has to be there at 31 for me to be interested.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

He won't.. Why wouldn't you take him at 16? I've moved him to the top of my list at 16

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:He won't.. Why wouldn't you take him at 16? I've moved him to the top of my list at 16
He's 6'3" with really no handles to speak of and not much passing. He really can't do much off the dribble, especially in traffic. I think he can work on that, and I do like him next to Booker (especially if we also get Doncic). But we already have Harrison. Jontay is my guy at 16, and I think there are probably other good options there too.

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Split T wrote:He won't.. Why wouldn't you take him at 16? I've moved him to the top of my list at 16
He's 6'3" with really no handles to speak of and not much passing. He really can't do much off the dribble, especially in traffic. I think he can work on that, and I do like him next to Booker (especially if we also get Doncic). But we already have Harrison. Jontay is my guy at 16, and I think there are probably other good options there too.
You may be right, I think he has a little more off the dribble game than you give him credit for, but you're right that he's not really a PG. Booker will still have to run most the offense in a hypothetical backcourt with the two of them. His measurements will be key, I'm hoping he's as long as I've heard and capable of defending the 1 and 2.

I like Porter too and I wouldn't be upset with him at 16, especially if we don't take a 5 at the top of the draft.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

For me, what we take at 16 depends totally on what we take with the first pick. If we end up with Young or Doncic, I want a big at 16 or trade up for a big like Carter. I might take a flyer on Mitchell Robinson depending on how his workouts go. 16 is a decent place to take that type of risk. Jontay might be ok, but I don't really see him as an NBA player. He is a good college player. I think he ought to go back to college, but we will see.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

JCSunsfan wrote:For me, what we take at 16 depends totally on what we take with the first pick. If we end up with Young or Doncic, I want a big at 16 or trade up for a big like Carter. I might take a flyer on Mitchell Robinson depending on how his workouts go. 16 is a decent place to take that type of risk. Jontay might be ok, but I don't really see him as an NBA player. He is a good college player. I think he ought to go back to college, but we will see.
I agree, it really has to do with where and who is picked on top. If they go Ayton or Bagley, I would hope they would pull all the stops to secure getting back into the top 7 and select Young. A Young Booker backcourt would be successful with an upgraded frontcourt.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

If we aren't getting a stud at the PG spot, I'd rather bring in a veteran.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

O_Gardino wrote:If we aren't getting a stud at the PG spot, I'd rather bring in a veteran.
Check out Fred VanVleet.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:If we aren't getting a stud at the PG spot, I'd rather bring in a veteran.
Check out Fred VanVleet.
Checked and wrecked.

Seriously, he seems like a nice player, and a good find for an undrafted guy. There's 15 solid 4-year point guards in every draft class. T's beyond me to find the one good one that can actually make the transition to the NBA.