2018 NBA Draft Lottery

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Lottery

Post by O_Gardino »

Cap wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
n4th4n wrote:Ya'll need to stop with the fantasy of getting Doncic and Ayton. Also, I can't believe people still believe that "gambling on a Euro" is a thing. That is some pretty regressive s*** right there.
Sorry. Darko and Zarko have left a bad taste in my mouth. Look, I'd rather draft a close to sure thing rare find that's a generational talent at 7ft than gamble that a player may or may not pan out in the NBA in a position that is saturated heavily in the NBA with talent.
Darko and Zarko, and most other Euroteens taken in the lotto, were drafted solely on potential. Luka is already dominating the second-best league on the planet.
Zarko was the 17th pick, not a lottery pick.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

carey wrote:Of course the Suns will f*** this up. I have NO idea how you could watch these playoffs and come away thinking, "I'll draft a 7-footer with the first overall pick!"
Feels like a Can't Miss pick!

DrSublime

Post by DrSublime »

YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
~~~~~

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

The announcement of the #1 pick was seriously a Top-10 all-time life moment for me. I screamed like a maniac, scaring the shit out of wife, son, and dog. I grabbed my son and hollered joyfully in his face, ran upstairs screaming some more, eyes got teary. Texts started coming in fast from my dad and best friend.

Today is a good day.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

INFORMER wrote:
iLLmatic wrote:
INFORMER wrote:I also think he'll lean towards Ayton because we already have Booker and Jackson at the 2/3.

Drafting Doncic would take some guts, innovative thinking, and unconventional roster maneuvering. So yeah, it will probably be Ayton.
You stick Doncic at the 1. What maneuvering is required? I still want Doncic over Ayton. Ayton has a bigger bust potential. I'm seeing flashes of Oden and Bowie.
There is a lot to like about Ayton, but sometimes I watch him and think the NBA game is going to marginalize him to just a solid center that averages a double-double but doesn't really elevate the team, somewhat like what we see from Dwight Howard now.

Doncic, on the other hand, just strikes me as a superior basketball player that is going to make his teammates better, hit big shots, and be able to do things few in the NBA can.

I won't be upset with drafting Ayton, but right now I am somewhat skeptical of that being the path that places us in a position to contend.
That's how I see Ayton. I see him as a great college one on one player with a great basketball body. I don't think he elevates the whole team beyond his rebounding and scoring numbers.

On the other hand, that's what I thought of Jason Tatum, too, and look how well he is doing in a team system in Boston. Still, I would take Doncic.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
In2ition wrote:Take Ayton and go get Doncic too. Figure out how to do it. Trade Sac boy and Warren along with picks and make it happen. Build your team around Booker, Jackson, Doncic and Ayton. Fill out the FAs around those guys.
I can't see a way to do that. Doncic would have to fall and you'd have to find a team that wants to win now...except we don't have a ton of win now pieces.

Memphis would be the team. Draft Ayton at 1, see some combination of JJJ/Bagley/Porter/Bamba go 2-3 and Memphis say, let's just go all in on Conley/Gasol. We'd have to use our assets(#16, future picks, Chriss/Bender) to get some win now pieces to send with maybe Warren.

But we'd need to find a team with win now pieces that fit Memphis. Then we'd need that team to want to retool through the draft and prefer what we can offer over the #4 pick.

I think the chances are very very low.
Sure the chances are low, but it's not impossible. #4 and Memphis is the target, then collude with Doncic's camp to fall to 4 after the deal has completed(unlike Curry deal). It's a win win win win win deal all the way. Phoenix wins, Booker wins, Ayton wins, Doncic wins, Memphis wins.
There's other good players available at 4 as well. If I thought I could get #4, I would take Doncic and grab Bamba. Or take Ayton and grab Mikal Bridges.

Cap

Post by Cap »

I want to know who my Dad thinks we should pick. :cry:

JJ Slim

Post by JJ Slim »

Wow everyone! Congrats! I missed the draft last night and now I'm glad I did. I followed it the last two years and you know what happened then lol! This is HUGE! But I also worry about Sarver fking it up. He has done nothing but driven this once proud team into the ground. The first thing he should do is make a call to a Colangelo and bring one on as a draft consultant. This seems like a can't miss pick between the top two. Common knowledge says go with a big man but Suns need a PG too. In either case I just feel like either pick we get will be the proverbial bust. Sorry for being a Debbie Downer. The Suns used to be a premier destination but now no one wants to go there. Even if this pick pans out they are going to need to recruit others and that is going to be tough. I have very little faith in current management. I hope I am so wrong. I love you guys!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Cap wrote:I want to know who my Dad thinks we should pick. :cry:
:(

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Cap wrote:I want to know who my Dad thinks we should pick. :cry:
:cry:

I bet somewhere he was cheering when that #1 pick got called out.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

AmareIsGod wrote:
n4th4n wrote:Ya'll need to stop with the fantasy of getting Doncic and Ayton. Also, I can't believe people still believe that "gambling on a Euro" is a thing. That is some pretty regressive s*** right there.
Sorry. Darko and Zarko have left a bad taste in my mouth. Look, I'd rather draft a close to sure thing rare find that's a generational talent at 7ft than gamble that a player may or may not pan out in the NBA in a position that is saturated heavily in the NBA with talent.
What about Dirk, Kristaps, Jokic, Manu, Marc Gasol, Pau Gasol, Tony Parker, Giannias, Gobert, Vlade, Yao, Hakeem? Stop being ridiculous.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

n4th4n wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
What about Dirk, Kristaps, Jokic, Manu, Marc Gasol, Pau Gasol, Tony Parker, Giannias, Gobert, Vlade, Yao, Hakeem? Stop being ridiculous.
Look no further than Bender. Gambling on a Euro
Is very much a thing. If he played college ball scouts would have torn him apart playing against US college players. There’s absolutely no doubt in my mind he would have fallen out of the top 10 at the least.

Now, must euro busts have been big men, but you also have the others like Pablo prigioni, juicyvicious or whatever his name was on the pacers that was supppsed to be a stud, Yaroslav Korolev, Yi Jianlian, Rafael Araujo,

I don’t think he’s being ridiculous at all. It is a legit concern how their talents will translate to a different league against much more physical talent.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Araujo! Haven't heard that name in a while. He played college ball at BYU INNM tho so he was scouted against college players.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

ShelC wrote:Araujo! Haven't heard that name in a while. He played college ball at BYU INNM tho so he was scouted against college players.
And he is brazilian.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

n4th4n wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
Seems like this was missed from earlier, but I've shifted by opinion. I'm on the Doncic express. See the following:
Bickley really changed my perspective on Doncic. I'm leaning that way now. Wow.

http://arizonasports.com/story/1529583/ ... c-phoenix/

The Suns could also select Luka Doncic. The more you read about this kid, the more fascinating he becomes. He lost part of his childhood to basketball, signing to play for Real Madrid at age 13. He’s 6-foot-8, has absurd passing skills and is one of the most polished players Europe has ever produced.

There is plenty of time for drama. Igor Kokoskov, the Suns’ new head coach, masterfully utilized his highly-emotional player, guiding Slovenia to an unexpected title at the EuroBasket tournament last summer. Doncic is too good to bust, like so many other soft European players have in the past. But he won’t find a better landing place than Phoenix, and the pairing would instantly guarantee the Suns another 2.2 million fans — the population of Slovenia.

The choice seems obvious to some. Ayton is the safer pick, and Kokoskov doesn’t have the leverage to stand on a table for Doncic, even though a player nicknamed “Wonder Boy” helped catapult a lifetime assistant to NBA head coach. And remember, Kokoskov wasn’t hired because the Suns wanted to draft the Real Madrid star.

He was hired because he was the best candidate and best fit of all the coaches who didn’t turn down the Suns during their exhaustive coaching search. He would provide additional value if the Suns somehow ended up with Doncic.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I honestly wonder if people talking about "euro's" know that Europe is a continent.

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

McD's draft history is too harshly rated by Suns fans. Looking each year at who he had available at that particular slot in the draft, he hasn't really whiffed hard since 2013.

2013 - Alex Len at 4th - Selected after: CJ McCollum, Steven Adams, Antetokounmpo, Gobert (all selected 10th or later)
2014 - TJ Warren at 14th - Selected after: Jusuf Nurkic, Clint Capela
2015 - Devin Booker at 13th - Selected after: No one better, this was an A+ pick
2016 - Dragan Bender at 4th, Chriss at 8th - Selected after: This was a really weak draft after the 3rd pick. Who is McD kicking himself over? Jamal Murray? Malcolm Brogdon got selected 36th.
2017 - Josh Jackson at 4th - Selected after: Donovan Mitchell (13th) is the only player a head above JJ.

carey

Post by carey »

http://arizonasports.com/category/podca ... g+%26+Wolf

Fran Fraschilla on Doug & Wolf talking about how Doncic is a cross between Gordon Hayward and Ginobli. But prior to that he said that you have to take Ayton #1. That he's a generational talent. He was mesmerized when he called a game in Tucson and you just don't pass him up.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

DrSublime wrote:YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Welcome to the party! :D
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Xylus wrote:The announcement of the #1 pick was seriously a Top-10 all-time life moment for me. I screamed like a maniac, scaring the s*** out of wife, son, and dog. I grabbed my son and hollered joyfully in his face, ran upstairs screaming some more, eyes got teary. Texts started coming in fast from my dad and best friend.

Today is a good day.
Yes it is. Yes, it is.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."