Suns News: The Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Robot

Re: Suns News: The Offseason

Post by Robot »

Is there any consensus that MCD actually isn't as great of a GM as we thought? Just asking.

- R

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't know that anyone ever said he was a great GM. But he's proven competent at the least. I really have no qualms.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Paging sdc... :)

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Does Rondo get the max? Nash won two MVPs, did he ever make the Max? What's Bledsoe's best comp? Maybe he deserves it for future production, but idk, nor can I predict it using past performance and injury history.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-bas ... e-interest

If we wanted to deal with the Kings, the time was when we were working the S&T for Thomas.

Unless the Bucks are offering the Greek Freak, no deal.

The Rockets don't have anyone I'm interested in for Bledsoe.

Why not offer him a max-ish deal for 2-3 years. That way he's still only 26-27, can get a new deal with the new cap # (more money) and we aren't locked in long term.

Split T

Post by Split T »

So rumor is he wants max 4/63 and we are offering 4/44. I'd be OK meeting in the middle somewhere. Maybe 4/52 or 4/48. There really is no one that is gonna pay him more than that, no one has cap space and we aren't gonna sign and trade him without significant assets in return. His only leverage is really taking the qualifying offer and with his injury history there is no way he does that. 4/48 is what Lowry got and that seems fair to me.

Robot

Post by Robot »

Just of note. I'm not saying mcd is bad because of the Bledsoe situation just overall off season, draft, etc. Boston had three all stars playing amongst various "decisions" . Somewhat underwhelmed with the draft and analytic dependence. I still think Noel would have been a better -risk- last year than Len ( obviously based on my history of Len ) . This years draft feels like Kendal Marshall 2 a bit . A few good passes this off season, a decent signing with IT2 - what else ? If Bled doesn't get signed, this offseason is particularly underwhelming.

I was expecting a little more based on last year and the short window teams have to succeed .

- R

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

'Bot, sort of agree on the draft, although TJ Warren is kicking ass and taking names in the summer league. I read where Steve Smith and Grant Hill said he reminds them somewhat of Bernard King. I was a bit skeptical of the need for another point -- would have liked to seen them take a chance on Capela at #18. But I think McD has the makings of a solid GM, especially if he and Hornacek can bounce ideas off of each other. Suns haven't really had a decent GM since Colangelo minor; anybody that wants to say Kerr was good, I have a name for your ... "Terry Porter" ...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Grant Hill was making jokes throughout the game, listing a bunch of players Warren reminded him of. He started with Bernard King, then when he threw the alley-oop to Archie it was Magic, then he said Ricky Pierce and somehow ended up with James Brown (yup, that James Brown). It was all in good fun.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Glad he could fill the time with jokes. Other than TJ, I gather the Suns were uninspiring.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I didn't see the TWolves game...this was during the 76ers game I believe. He and archie were really rolling.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Warren and Plumlee were the bright spots against TWolves, I don't think Archie even scored.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:According to one of the RealGm insiders: Love trade is dead. Pacers trade is dead. They will retain Bledsoe. Fill out the roster with tradable contracts. So we're looking at heading into the season with...

Bledsoe/IT2/Ennis
Dragic/Green/Goodwin
Tucker/Warren
Keef/Mook/Tolliver
Plumlee/Len

I guess we're slightly improved if both Bledsoe & Dragic return playing at the same level as last year and there's improvement internally. Only, all the other West teams have improved as well. I'm not sure we're a playoff team as constructed unless Goodwin, Len, and Keef are considerably more impressive than they were last season.
Top heavy!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

I stand corrected. Anyway, it seems like TJ is making quite an impression to many. Nice to have a draft choice that is almost plug-and-play.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:Warren and Plumlee were the bright spots against TWolves, I don't think Archie even scored.
Not sure I'd say Plumlee was a brightspot as he got worked over pretty well by Dieng and Fesenko. Tj was good, Harris was good, Plumlee was ok, Ennis and Archie both laid eggs.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
carey wrote:According to one of the RealGm insiders: Love trade is dead. Pacers trade is dead. They will retain Bledsoe. Fill out the roster with tradable contracts. So we're looking at heading into the season with...

Bledsoe/IT2/Ennis
Dragic/Green/Goodwin
Tucker/Warren
Keef/Mook/Tolliver
Plumlee/Len

I guess we're slightly improved if both Bledsoe & Dragic return playing at the same level as last year and there's improvement internally. Only, all the other West teams have improved as well. I'm not sure we're a playoff team as constructed unless Goodwin, Len, and Keef are considerably more impressive than they were last season.
Top heavy!
We can throw a lot of good solid players at teams, we'll challenge 50 wins again. We've got arguably the best bench in the league now, that should prove to be quite helpful.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:So rumor is he wants max 4/63 and we are offering 4/44. I'd be OK meeting in the middle somewhere. Maybe 4/52 or 4/48. There really is no one that is gonna pay him more than that, no one has cap space and we aren't gonna sign and trade him without significant assets in return. His only leverage is really taking the qualifying offer and with his injury history there is no way he does that. 4/48 is what Lowry got and that seems fair to me.
Let's just make it 4/50 and call it a day. Love the avatar pic, btw.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Superbone wrote:
Split T wrote:So rumor is he wants max 4/63 and we are offering 4/44. I'd be OK meeting in the middle somewhere. Maybe 4/52 or 4/48. There really is no one that is gonna pay him more than that, no one has cap space and we aren't gonna sign and trade him without significant assets in return. His only leverage is really taking the qualifying offer and with his injury history there is no way he does that. 4/48 is what Lowry got and that seems fair to me.
Let's just make it 4/50 and call it a day. Love the avatar pic, btw.
OTOH, I can understand the Suns holding out for 4/44. It would make it easier to sign Dragic next year. It's just a tricky thing possibly making your player feel undervalued. I'm sure he'd get over it though once he's making 11 million per year!!!

"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Latrell Sprewell on a paltry, $11 Million annual salary: "I've got kids to feed!"
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11225 ... mer-league
More than a couple insiders cited the Phoenix Suns as a managerial success. "They keep acquiring high-value assets," said one general manger, "But the big thing is that they're putting a great product on the floor while they do it. A lot of people in our business forget that part of the job."

"Be Legendary."