With the FIRST pick in the 2018 NBA draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

With the FIRST pick in the 2018 NBA draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

Deandre Ayton
54%
Luca Doncic
44%
Other
2%

Total votes: 57

Cap

Re: With the FIRST pick in the 2018 NBA draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

Post by Cap »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:50 pm
I LOVE this tweet from Jonathan Givony:

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1008415312008613890

You wish we’d landed #2 in the lottery, don’t you?

Can’t say I completely disagree. Doncic is just insane. I’ve got major FOMO too, but I’m at peace with the fact that they’ve settled on Ayton.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/1008422890138726400

11 FTAs is a great indicator of drawing contact. One issue that Ayton has is that he hardly gets to the line enough for a guy with his size and athleticism.

TOO

Post by TOO »

UglyTruth wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:59 pm

11 FTAs is a great indicator of drawing contact. One issue that Ayton has is that he hardly gets to the line enough for a guy with his size and athleticism.
He uses his size well and catches the ball 3 feet from the rim and he's still supposed to draw a foul? It's not like he's breaking dudes down off the dribble, the hack-a-Ayton won't work because he's a solid FT shooter, I just don't get this criticism.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Wally_West wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:51 pm
Never heard of Draft God but they come up with some bullshit obvious articles.

Hornets want to trade Kemba for an extra pick? No s***. Everyone knows Kemba is gonna after this year, If you can trade him for a great pick then why wouldn’t you?

Doncic goes to 2 to the Kings? Yeah, never saw that coming. :roll:
Kinda the idea I got... They've got some stuff right, but it's all obvious stuff

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:02 pm
He uses his size well and catches the ball 3 feet from the rim and he's still supposed to draw a foul? It's not like he's breaking dudes down off the dribble, the hack-a-Ayton won't work because he's a solid FT shooter, I just don't get this criticism.
I don't think it is a valid criticism either. I didn't see Ayton shying away from contact.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Split T

Post by Split T »

https://twitter.com/sbordow/status/1008490076056113152

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I really like Deandre and would love for him to be a Sun. My dream was to get both Doncic and Ayton together, but as it's getting closer and closer to the draft, I'm getting less and less optimistic that's even a possibility any longer. I'm starting to wonder if Sac passes Doncic, that maybe it would be better to trade with Atl and see what type of package they could give for Ayton. I've been high on Robinson since last year's All-star games and wonder if he can be nearly as good or better than Ayton. If Atl was giving up 19 and a possible future 1st for the #1, you could get Doncic, Robinson, Okobo(or best pg available at 16 or 19) and an agitator like Allen at 30 or 31 or 34(depending on what type of package is offered). I know that's a lot of guys, but what's the G-League for?

Idk, just spit-balling it...
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:50 pm
I LOVE this tweet from Jonathan Givony:

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1008415312008613890

I hope it falters all the way to somewhere we can trade for him.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

UglyTruth wrote:

Are you saying good FT shooting bigs generally don’t draw many fouls?

carey

Post by carey »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:52 am
Who the hell is draftGod?
People are saying it is Bill Simmons' joke account. The names listed on the left (Rufus N. Dooze and William "The Super" Easton) are Bill's dogs and his dad who was a school Superintendent in Boston.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

carey wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:27 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:52 am
Who the hell is draftGod?
People are saying it is Bill Simmons' joke account. The names listed on the left (Rufus N. Dooze and William "The Super" Easton) are Bill's dogs and his dad who was a school Superintendent in Boston.
You know you’ve made it in life when the public even knows what the names of your dogs are.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:10 pm
Honest question, should I be disappointed if (or is it when?) the Suns pick Ayton?

I don't think I've ever had this much cognitive dissonance with the draft before.
Depends on what you want. If you want the Suns to develop quickly into a winning team and a contender and have a play style of ball movement and everyone getting involved then yes.

If you want the Suns to have a player who racks up a lot of personal accolades and highlight plays in mostly losses (some call this empty stats) then no.

ALL THE ABOVE IS IN MY OPINION.
Last edited by UglyTruth on Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Doncic or nothing.

Gonna waste a once in a franchise opportunity.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:03 am
Or take Doncic and trade for DeAndre Jordan, who wants out of LA and seems close with Booker?
Where have you seen that Jordan is close with Booker?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

UglyTruth wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:54 pm
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Honest question, should I be disappointed if (or is it when?) the Suns pick Ayton?

I don't think I've ever had this much cognitive dissonance with the draft before.
Depends on what you want. If you want the Suns to develop quickly into a winning team and a contender and have a play style of ball movement and everyone getting involved then yes.

If you want the Suns to have a player who racks up a lot of personal accolades and highlight plays in mostly losses (some call this empty stats) then no.
Glad you've got it figured out.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:14 am
UglyTruth wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:54 pm
Charlie Smithy! wrote:

Glad you've got it figured out.
Whoops, I forgot. I edited and made the change.

Would it help if I just included that in my sig since it's not obvious enough on a message forum that unless something is being stated as factual, it's an opinion?

TOO

Post by TOO »

UglyTruth wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:59 pm
UglyTruth wrote:

Did you see me say that anywhere? I stated pretty clearly why I think he didn't draw a ton of fouls. Would you rather he catch the ball and gather himself, drop the ball below his waist ala Len and try to draw a foul?

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:55 am
UglyTruth wrote:
UglyTruth wrote:

Did you see me say that anywhere? I stated pretty clearly why I think he didn't draw a ton of fouls. Would you rather he catch the ball and gather himself, drop the ball below his waist ala Len and try to draw a foul?
So your saying that's the only way for bigs to draw fouls (unless its hack-a-player)?

TOO

Post by TOO »

UglyTruth wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:06 am
UglyTruth wrote:
UglyTruth wrote:

So your saying that's the only way for bigs to draw fouls (unless its hack-a-player)?
You're*

I am putting you back on ignore, never should've taken you off. Ignorance.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:12 am
UglyTruth wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:06 am
UglyTruth wrote:

You're*

I am putting you back on ignore, never should've taken you off. Ignorance.
You'll come up with anything to defend Ayton. Such a terrible argument that you make in which you're basically saying that he doesn't draw fouls because he doesn't play like Len or doesn't draw fouls because he's a good FT shooter that doesn't deal with hack a player.

What about Embiid? He doesn't play like Alex ****** Len and is a damn good FT shooter and draws 7 FTs a game. Or Cousins? Or Davis? Or idk, the many, many others?

Reason is he doesn't play physical and through the contact like them. His game is more finesse than power. Almost too finesse for a guy his size.

Don't use these weak examples to make your point. Admit that Ayton isn't a perfect player and has flaws (just like Doncic, Bamba and every other player in the draft). If you can't respond with good counter arguments then yeah putting me on ignore is your best option.