Around the League: 2018 Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
bajanguy008

Re: Around the League: 2018 Offseason

Post by bajanguy008 »

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1013860686223593472

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:21 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:52 pm
I'd like it if the Suns nabbed D.J. Wilson from Milwaukee.
Do you really want a roster full of end of the bench players? What’s the goal here, to suck as much as possible again? Seriously asking.
While the ridicule is getting old and classless, I'll be a sucker and actually respond. If I made multiple suggestions for guys you consider "end of bench players" it doesn't mean we should acquire ALL of them. So a "roster full" of these players is hardly the goal, and I am not even sure why I even have to explain that.

Specifically, with D.J. Wilson, he has been in the league one year and was the 17th pick in the draft last year. I don't think we definitively rule out as an end of bench guy. I had no interest in him in the draft, mainly because of his rebounding issues, but next to Ayton I think he could have value because he is long, athletic, and can hit the 3 ball. Basically he would be an athletic 3&D big man to complement Ayton. That's down the road though. I wouldn't look for him to start this season; how much playing time he would get this season would depend on how much improvement he showed in summer league, training camp, etc.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:43 am
How do we know we didn't pursue Tyreke? I think he can do better than taking a 1 year flier to share minutes with all our guys.
He would be the starting point guard, so I am not sure about the whole "share minutes" comment.

Do we know the Suns didn't place a call to Evans? No. But the Ariza deal was done practically minutes into free agency. So that doesn't really indicate the Suns actively and substantially pursued anyone else.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:19 pm
specialsauce wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Do you really want a roster full of end of the bench players? What’s the goal here, to suck as much as possible again? Seriously asking.
While the ridicule is getting old and classless, I'll be a sucker and actually respond. If I made multiple suggestions for guys you consider "end of bench players" it doesn't mean we should acquire ALL of them. So a "roster full" of these players is hardly the goal, and I am not even sure why I even have to explain that.

Specifically, with D.J. Wilson, he has been in the league one year and was the 17th pick in the draft last year. I don't think we definitively rule out as an end of bench guy. I had no interest in him in the draft, mainly because of his rebounding issues, but next to Ayton I think he could have value because he is long, athletic, and can hit the 3 ball. Basically he would be an athletic 3&D big man to complement Ayton. That's down the road though. I wouldn't look for him to start this season; how much playing time he would get this season would depend on how much improvement he showed in summer league, training camp, etc.
INF, please don't take it personally. I thought I was coming off light-hearted and it wasn't meant to be taken seriously. It might not come off like it but I really do appreciate hearing about these lesser known players that aren't on my radar. I will back off my comments as I definitely didn't intend them to feel classless.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

INFORMER wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
INFORMER wrote:

I for one appreciate all of your posts, INF. You often clue me in to interesting players I would not have known about otherwise.

The folks criticizing you I mostly disagree with. I do agree that you often talk about bargain guys, guys at low salary or second-rounders or overseas guys, and I don't much hear you talking about big pieces, stars, guys you actually build your team around. So sometimes I don't know what your overall wish for the team is. It does seem like you disapprove of most of the Suns' roster moves, but I usually don't know what you would have done instead to put us on the path toward being a contender. It sometimes feels like a Hinkie-esque plan of keeping a clean cap sheet and stockpiling picks and interesting roleplayers and assets. That is totally fine, but eventually you have to land some stars and great players, so I don't always know what that next step would be under your model.

But you don't owe us that; your takes are still completely valid, INFormative (heh), and interesting. You are a unique voice here and you add a lot to this board. Haters gonna hate; ignore them. :-) I'm also going to increase your mod salary by 20% in light of all this, to $0.00 / month.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:27 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
How do we know we didn't pursue Tyreke? I think he can do better than taking a 1 year flier to share minutes with all our guys.
He would be the starting point guard, so I am not sure about the whole "share minutes" comment.

Do we know the Suns didn't place a call to Evans? No. But the Ariza deal was done practically minutes into free agency. So that doesn't really indicate the Suns actively and substantially pursued anyone else.
I can't image that any front office waits for the start of free agency to begin reaching out to agents and finding out what it would take to get free agents. As for Tyreke being a SG/SF, sure he played point for Memphis, and sure that's what we would want him to play. But he's not a PG, and I bet he hasn't forgotten that.

My point is that Tyreke probably doesn't want to come to Phoenix. That explanation is far more likely than that the Suns just didn't call.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:29 pm
INF, please don't take it personally. I thought I was coming off light-hearted and it wasn't meant to be taken seriously. It might not come off like it but I really do appreciate hearing about these lesser known players that aren't on my radar. I will back off my comments as I definitely didn't intend them to feel classless.
I'm probably being too sensitive.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I actually like "short shorts" Wilson was hoping to see him get some burn but didn't really crack Bucks rotation.
David Aldrdige also just said Wolves have withdrawn their QO to Bjelica another cheap guy I would not have mind adding
Neither guy is possible now anyways though

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:37 pm
INFORMER wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:

I can't image that any front office waits for the start of free agency to begin reaching out to agents and finding out what it would take to get free agents. As for Tyreke being a SG/SF, sure he played point for Memphis, and sure that's what we would want him to play. But he's not a PG, and I bet he hasn't forgotten that.

My point is that Tyreke probably doesn't want to come to Phoenix. That explanation is far more likely than that the Suns just didn't call.
Evans came into the league playing point guard. He's played all the perimeter positions. I don't love him at point guard, but him playing there isn't a stretch by any means.

Evans is still taking meetings with teams, so I don't see why he would turn down a team that has a starting spot for him without even meeting with them. I guess we'll never know.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:43 pm
David Aldrdige also just said Wolves have withdrawn their QO to Bjelica another cheap guy I would not have mind adding
Wow, I wasn't expecting that. It would have been nice to offer him a one year deal.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:38 pm
Superbone wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:29 pm
I'm probably being too sensitive.
Either way, I'll try to be more considerate. My apologies.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
INFORMER wrote:

Sorry bud, it was a serious question. We have to add free agents. When your recommendations to improve the team are DJ Wilson, Tolliver, Bjelica, etc I have to wonder what the overall goal here is. These are players that are complete afterthoughts in the league and the Suns are in desperate need of improvement in their front end talent starting and off the bench.

Maybe you don’t mean to add ALL of them, but you don’t mention acquiring any front end talent except Kevin Love.

I get that this Fa class wasn’t the best, but adding real talent on one year deals will 10 out of 10 times improve this team and it’s core players for the next year than adding end of the bench players and having no depth or competition IMO

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:43 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:37 pm
INFORMER wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:

Evans came into the league playing point guard. He's played all the perimeter positions. I don't love him at point guard, but him playing there isn't a stretch by any means.

Evans is still taking meetings with teams, so I don't see why he would turn down a team that has a starting spot for him without even meeting with them. I guess we'll never know.
Yup. We also don't even need a traditional PG. Someone with off-ball skills would be just as, if not more helpful and Tyreke has strong catch-and-shoot 3 %s.

My guess is the Suns didn't see it as a fit and haven't pursued.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Wow Rondo to Lakers

They beginning to rack up quite the group of "personalities". Not to mention supposedly still pursuing Cousins also. Interesting lol

Guess 'Reke probably going to Thunder or Hornets then

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

What are the Lakers doing???

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:56 pm
I always thought LeBron would want Rondo. He probably doesn’t want Ball. I still hope the Suns will try to trade for Ball.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:56 pm
At this moment signing "ole heads" and starting to release youngsters. Randle now an Unrestricted FA

Sounding alot like Cavs teams tbh and I don't care lol

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Yeah, I don't know what the Lakers are doing.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Its too bad Dallas blew their wad on DAJ when Randle wouldve been a better fit with Doncic and the rest of that team.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I was too busy laughing at Lance playing with Bron last night but with them also signing back KCP I was here remembering that Luke was high on Hart. In the 2nd half of the season he played well so that makes Lance addition interesting.
Anyways if they seem to be screwing things up , that's better for us