2018 Suns Offseason News

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: 2018 Suns Offseason News

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:38 pm
Also, still think we should move Warren
I still would like to see if he can get better. He's 20 ppg scorer making $10-12 mil a year. That deal is solid gold if he can add the 3 ball to his game, or if he can improve as a rebounder.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:36 pm
To me Reed is a pure 2.
Why? He has the height and length to play small forward,

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:32 pm
Split T wrote:
I still would like to see if he can get better. He's 20 ppg scorer making $10-12 mil a year. That deal is solid gold if he can add the 3 ball to his game, or if he can improve as a rebounder.
That's true.. Maybe I shouldn't be so quick to move him.. Would be really nice if he learns to shoot

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Wally_West wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:56 pm
You guys remember when the Suns traded Kurt Thomas and two 1st round picks?

;)
Let’s talk about that horrible night in the snow in Denver trying to get to Antonio McDyess or th suspension, or Dennis Johnson, or Dan Majerle for Hot Rod Williams.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Bender is just tough to watch. He should be dominating his opponent in these summer league games.
Unfortunately I expect he has little or no value around the league.
This BUD'S for us! - Play fast Play well - Go Suns!

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

TJ can shoot, he just can't hit the 3 consistently. He should be able to improve this part of his game. That would make someone like Josh Jackson expendable.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:34 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:36 pm
To me Reed is a pure 2.
Why? He has the height and length to play small forward,
Because basketball, that's why.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Bender is up there right now as one of the worst lottery picks in Suns history. 4 overall for a dude who didn't do anything in Europe was such a stupid selection. If he doesn't get it going, we can proudly say landed our very own Nikoloz Tskitishvili. Huzzah!

carey

Post by carey »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:00 pm
Bender is up there right now as one of the worst lottery picks in Suns history. 4 overall for a dude who didn't do anything in Europe was such a stupid selection. If he doesn't get it going, we can proudly say landed our very own Nikoloz Tskitishvili. Huzzah!
Bender Island is getting lonely. Dude has to figure it out soon. I still believe but he has to do more than hit 3s at a 36% clip.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:08 pm
Bender Island is getting lonely. Dude has to figure it out soon. I still believe but he has to do more than hit 3s at a 36% clip.
He seems to be sliding backwards to start SL.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:32 pm
Split T wrote:
I’m really not interested in any players that have no ability or want to pass the ball. Dude just is an old school ball hog. So even if he adds a three pointer, I just don’t see him as a net positive to a team.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:11 pm
carey wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:08 pm
He seems to be sliding backwards to start SL.
I’m sure the Suns are slightly panicked behind the scenes. He should be the smartest player on the court. Age be dammed, he has 2 years of NBA experience on these kids.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Experience doesn't mean squat if you play like you're holding fine china in your shorts.

I don't know what that means, but I laughed to myself.

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

I’m really surprised at the negs on the Ariza signing. I don’t know who else you guys think we should’ve gone after. I know we all want a better pg, but there just wasn’t one on the market that could do what we’re looking for. I thought Ariza and Smart were the only worthwhile options. Good experienced vets that can still play and compete. Smart would’ve been harder to get because he’s restricted.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

MightyMoog wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:41 pm
I’m really surprised at the negs on the Ariza signing. I don’t know who else you guys think we should’ve gone after. I know we all want a better pg, but there just wasn’t one on the market that could do what we’re looking for. I thought Ariza and Smart were the only worthwhile options. Good experienced vets that can still play and compete. Smart would’ve been harder to get because he’s restricted.
a) We don't have to "go after" anybody. Cap space is an extremely valuable asset. We could use it to take a bad expiring contract away from a team in exchange for a draft pick. Or we could have been players at the trade deadline early next year. Or we could have been the third team facilitating a trade between two other teams in exchange for a young player, pick, or other assets.

b) We already have a ton of forwards on the roster, many of whom are young and would benefit greatly from getting minutes. Bender, Warren, Jackson, Chriss, Bridges, and other guys would log minutes at the 3/4 spots. We arguably aren't much if any better having a 34-year-old veteran swingman playing those minutes.

c) I don't want or care about Marcus Smart, and comparing him to Ariza is a false dichotomy. I wanted neither, and we should have signed neither.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:13 pm
MightyMoog wrote:
a) We don't have to "go after" anybody. Cap space is an extremely valuable asset. We could use it to take a bad expiring contract away from a team in exchange for a draft pick. Or we could have been players at the trade deadline early next year. Or we could have been the third team facilitating a trade between two other teams in exchange for a young player, pick, or other assets.

b) We already have a ton of forwards on the roster, many of whom are young and would benefit greatly from getting minutes. Bender, Warren, Jackson, Chriss, Bridges, and other guys would log minutes at the 3/4 spots. We arguably aren't much if any better having a 34-year-old veteran swingman playing those minutes.

c) I don't want or care about Marcus Smart, and comparing him to Ariza is a false dichotomy. I wanted neither, and we should have signed neither.

Chriss and Bender deserve exactly 0 minutes per game each. Sorry, I don’t see any scenario in which they get time if we’re serious about trying to win. At least not if we’re getting the same shit show we got last year from the two of them. Bender flat out does not look like an NBA player in SUMMER LEAGUE

TJ plays zero defense and I have no interest in seeing him and Jackson on the court together as the brick brothers from downtown.

I either want Ariza or Bridges on the court at all times paired with Warren or Jackson at the 3.

There are many scenarios in which Ariza would be redundant or not a good fit, but the argument that we should play our other guys who are just plain bad at basketball is silly.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:25 pm
Experience doesn't mean squat if you play like you're holding fine china in your shorts.

I don't know what that means, but I laughed to myself.
Lol :lol:

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
MightyMoog wrote:

We don’t need any more assets. That mindset has got to change. We have 8 young players, we need 4-5 to separate themselves and we’re golden. It’s pretty obvious booker, Jackson and Ayton are 3. Then you need 3 from Okobo, Warren, Bender, Chriss and Bridges.

Having a veteran that has been on winning teams is a huge benefit even for one season. Much more important at this point than another pick. We can’t keep bringing 2-3 new rookies in every year. We’re already out of roster spots.

I still see Chriss panning out and Bender flaming out. Bender can’t shoot, can’t play defense, too slow to guard wings, to soft to guard bigs, can’t drive to the hoop, only thing he’s good at is passing, and it’s too easy to read for the opponent. Chriss can dunk, can outjump, can block shots, he just needs to improve on his footwork and his stroke a bit. He’s not going to be an all-star but he can be a serviceable 4.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

MightyMoog wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:01 pm
We don’t need any more assets. That mindset has got to change.
No it doesn't. Philadelphia made the playoffs, had success in the playoffs, and still looked to acquire assets this offseason. Boston has continued to look to acquire assets while producing a very high quality product on the floor.

Acquiring assets is necessary to building a contender, and like it or not, the Suns still have a lot more building too, no matter how much rhetoric they churn out about "accelerating" the rebuild. Moreover, asset acquisition doesn't have to equate to losing.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Never stop acquiring assets. The Warriors just paid to draft Jordan Bell last year, for example.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.