Suns Draft Day 2014

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Suns Draft Day 2014

Post by Mori Chu »

Good read, thanks Shel. He might be a useful player in a few years.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

iLLmatic wrote: By the way, how'd you feel about our draft????
Just more of the same.

I've always liked Warren but I wasn't too high on him at 14, but ultimately, I think it will prove to be a good if not great pick. Before the draft I was starting doubt whether his scoring ability would translate to the pros, but so far in the summer league it appears it will.

I'm not even going to waste time talking about what they did at 18.

At 27, I was bothered by a number of things. First, I'm hoping the ridiculous mandate against 3 rookies didn't lock them into taking an international player there. If that is the case, then that's just bad general managing; passing on Anderson and Stokes really irks me, Stokes more so than Anderson. But if that's not the case, and they honestly felt that the other Bogdanovic was best player available, then that's very discouraging. And even if they had to go international, then I feel Damian Inglis and Nikola Jokic should have considered over Bogdanovic; IMO they are superior NBA prospects.

I loved the Alec Brown pick.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Good to see the input INF. You know since I was at the draft that night, I really didn't have a chance to flip through this thread and leave my input.

I liked Warren at 14. I was pretty sure that we were not going to take Harris so Warren was my next guy. Nice solid pick and I think he has a chance to be very very good for a long time. Player of the year in the ACC...scoring in a multiple of ways and I think his defense was a bit underrated.

I'm with you on Ennis...I don't know if I even would of taken him at 27. I would of bet any amount of money when he was picked it was going to Toronto...Gary Harris is going to haunt us (and others) for many years. Its not that the picked a PG, BPA all the way, but I just don't see what they saw in him. Harris,Anderson,Jordan Adams,Clint Capela are all guys I would taken here and been thrilled with.

At 27 I disagree with you. I actually really wanted Kyle Anderson here. But I liked what I saw from Bogdanovic on tape. You never really will know how these euros measure up to NBA competition, but he seems very talented and I was fine with this. Upset we passed on Anderson, but this guy was number 2 on my board.

At 50, I liked Alec Brown as well. He has looked like garbage in the summer league, but anyone who watched him play in college knows this boy can shoot the heck out of the ball. Needs to add a little weight, but this is who I would of took at 50.

Ultimately I'd give the draft a B. B+/A- for Warren...D for Ennis....the others fall in between.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

TOO

Post by TOO »

Cap

Post by Cap »

Note to self: never attend a Prussian school.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2 ... =EM/CPCGRA

Was this posted?
Kinky

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TJ Warren Operates With Surgical Precision

http://deanondraft.com/2014/07/20/tj-wa ... precision/
TJ Warren’s pre-draft scouting report was that he is unathletic, can’t hit 3′s, plays questionable defense, never passes, and scores loads of buckets inside the arc for a SF punctuated by his incredible floater. This didn’t strike me as a lock bust because I have a soft spot for weirdos and you never know how they are going to translate. But I simply couldn’t envision how an unathletic wing dominates inside the arc against NBA competition without any other notable strengths, so I paid him little regard. This was a mistake, as the correct approach should have been to figure out how an unathletic wing dominated inside the arc in the NCAA. I finally got to scout him in summer league and I am completely captivated by his game.

The reasons why weird prospects have appeal is because they normally are doing something right that nobody else is, and you never know how their special skill interacts with NBA competition. This is especially true for scoring, as scoring comes in a wide range of styles and requires scouting to understand each player’s method of attack. This is triply true for TJ Warren, who has the most beautiful scoring game of any prospect I have ever watched.

Read more...
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Great article, Superb One. Thanks for posting!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:Great article, Superb One. Thanks for posting!
No problem, Ca P!

"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Lol, they are trying to spread the nickname of The Surgeon, for Warren.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think his nickname should be "Peace". Because, you know, then he'd be TJ Warren Peace.

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

I'm fond of The War Machine, myself.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Mori Chu wrote:I think his nickname should be "Peace". Because, you know, then he'd be TJ Warren Peace.
As long as he doesn't turn out like Metta World Peace...

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

How about TJ "World" Warren??

Cap

Post by Cap »

Or TJ "Rabbit" Warren?

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

T.J. Warren G.

He's a regulator
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

TOO

Post by TOO »

These are all terrible, I feel so Warren out after reading them.

Sorry

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

T.J. Warren "You Just This One Time"

"Be Legendary."

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

Our 43rd president is a big fan of the Warren Iraq.