Eric Bledsoe [RFA]

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: Eric Bledsoe [RFA]

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Xylus wrote:
MightyMoog wrote:I'd rather have the good hard working underdogs, and a humble superstar, than these self entitled prima donnas.
I couldn't disagree with you more. Good hard working underdogs make for a fun, exciting story, but they don't get very far in the playoffs. Talent does, and Bledsoe is talented. I also wouldn't really consider Bledsoe a prima donna, but I guess I can see why people might view him that way.
Your point about talent is more than valid, but Bledsoe, or his camp, is not doing exactly a great job at endearing himself to the Suns or the fans this offseason, and that comes after last summer when he demanded an absurd amount for his extension, which makes it two times in a row.

Personally I want to keep the player, and as a fan I don't get butthurt by things like these, but respect is a two way street and if he cares about respect maybe he should show some to the franchise that got him out of Paul's shadow, gave him his first real chance at stardom and is willing to commit several millions of dollars to him even after he failed to meet the first prerequisite, which is being able to use your talent on the court.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Yeah, I think if Bledsoe had been healthy all year, he'd have a great case that he deserved more money than $12/year. But with his injuries? Seriously? That's the reason teams weren't willing to max him out. There are enough good PGs in the NBA who don't have such an injury history. $12m/year is a bit of an underpay if he remains 100% healthy the rest of his career, but having half of one good season under his belt, he shouldn't expect to be able to demand the max. It just isn't going to happen.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

This whole situation is just a game of chicken now to see who will flinch first.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

I don't think you'll see the Suns go higher than something like 4 years/$52 million. If Bledsoe wants to be an idiot and take the QO and risk another injury, then so be it.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

The whole "the relationship is irreparable" B.S. is just that. ultimately if the Bled Show re-signs he'll play for his teammates and coach not for the front office. It sounds like something thats put out there by Eric's camp to try and play the media against Phoenix. The fact that no other team has stepped up to the plate with an offer tells you all you need to know about what the league thinks EB's worth is.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

If Bledsoe had been an unrestricted FA this offseason, he probably would have gotten a big contract at/near the max, because the start of free agency was insane with guys getting huge deals. If a team knew for sure that they could get him to sign and that the Suns couldn't match the contract, somebody would have bitten. Maybe even the Lakers, who had oodles of cap room. But since he's an RFA and the Suns seemed determined to match, nobody went for it.

His "worth" around the league is honestly probably a little more than $4/48. But worth is very subjective and time-sensitive. He could have gotten more as a UFA but them's the breaks. As an RFA right at this moment, $4/48 is fair.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Sunsfan4life wrote:The whole "the relationship is irreparable" B.S. is just that. ultimately if the Bled Show re-signs he'll play for his teammates and coach not for the front office. It sounds like something thats put out there by Eric's camp to try and play the media against Phoenix. The fact that no other team has stepped up to the plate with an offer tells you all you need to know about what the league thinks EB's worth is.
If that's the plan coming from EB's camp, it really doesn't seem to be working very well. Most Media that (I can tell), that have done any research on this around the league find that they believe $12mil per is a very fair offer for Bledsoe. I think the FO is doing a good job of not being baited into responding to this in the media and keep saying the right things about Eric being a big part of their future plans. It doesn't seem to me that they are trying to disrespect or undermine his value, just insisting that he is important enough to them that they will match any offer.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

The problem with taking the QO for Bledsoe is that he'd be leaving 8 million on the table for next year.
Assuming next summer he gets a max deal somewhere else, it would take him another 3 years before he would see a +1 million difference in money earned. Only in the 4th year of that deal would he actually start seeing some returns. But there is still a big "if" he gets a max offer to consider. It is a game of chicken, but the suns are driving a mac truck and bledose is driving a smart car.

My gut says there is a deal on the table with the Lakers involving Randle, that they have to wait for or they just want to see where the dominoes fall after the Love trade.

Bledsoe is talented. He's not a top 25 player yet in this league yet. And until we have a top 5 player to build around, we can't give up our flexibility to make moves or stop collecting assets.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Sunsfan4life wrote:The whole "the relationship is irreparable" B.S. is just that. ultimately if the Bled Show re-signs he'll play for his teammates and coach not for the front office. It sounds like something thats put out there by Eric's camp to try and play the media against Phoenix. The fact that no other team has stepped up to the plate with an offer tells you all you need to know about what the league thinks EB's worth is.
I just hope he finally shows a little love to Phoenix if/when he finally signs because he's been reluctant to do so thus far. Yeah, I know it's a business but it's also a game with teammates played for a community.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

I hope there is no deal with the Lakers. I would still prefer to have Eric Bledsoe the player above all other options. That is why this is so frustrating.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Gambo writes an open letter to Bledsoe: http://arizonasports.com/41/1755048/An- ... ic-Bledsoe
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Cap

Post by Cap »

Gambo makes a lot of sense, but it makes me think of this statement from a Chris Mooney article on motivated reasoning:
And that undercuts the standard notion that the way to persuade people is via evidence and argument. In fact, head-on attempts to persuade can sometimes trigger a backfire effect, where people not only fail to change their minds when confronted with the facts—they may hold their wrong views more tenaciously than ever.
In other words: Nice letter, Gambo, but don't expect it to help.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

For the last 30 days, any team in the NBA had the chance to sign you to an offer sheet and not one team did. They are not scared off by the Suns' remarks of telling the world they will match any offer, which is perfectly within their right. They are scared of giving a good player such as yourself money reserved for superstars. Yes, that is why you don't have an offer. No one thinks you are a max player. Now don't get me wrong, you are a very good player and any team would be happy to have you. Just not at the money you think you are worth.
This is awesome. SPOT...FREAKIN.....ON
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Cap

Post by Cap »

I think this is my favorite part:
Ask around, Eric. Talk to players in the league, teammates, former teammates, coaches and assistant coaches that aren't based in Phoenix. You will be hard-pressed to find ONE that doesn't believe the offer that Phoenix has on the table for four years and $48 million is an awesome offer. Trust me, I know. Because I have made those phone calls, dozens of them. And everyone that I spoke with thinks you're borderline nuts for not jumping at this offer and giving yourself financial security for life.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

The real deadline for Bledsoe is Oct 1 - once it gets here, unless the Suns choose to extend the time he can accept the qualifying offer he loses any leverage he might have had, and would be looking at being a restricted free agent next summer if he doesn't come to terms.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

DrSublime

Post by DrSublime »

JCSunsfan wrote:I hope there is no deal with the Lakers. I would still prefer to have Eric Bledsoe the player above all other options. That is why this is so frustrating.
I'd much rather have Julius Randle.
~~~~~

DrSublime

Post by DrSublime »

In2ition wrote:Gambo writes an open letter to Bledsoe: http://arizonasports.com/41/1755048/An- ... ic-Bledsoe
perfect.
~~~~~

Cap

Post by Cap »

Unless he's seriously considering playing for the QO, which I doubt, the Oct 1 deadline is meaningless.

The QO is a formality. If a one-year contract is what he wants, I'm sure the Suns would be willing to pay him a fair salary (~$11M) for that one year. Obviously the Suns would prefer to have him locked up for longer, and if Bledsoe is wise he'll choose the security of a longer contract, but I don't think the Suns will play hardball and try to coerce him to sign the longer contract by not offering him a fair salary in a short one.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Cap wrote:Unless he's seriously considering playing for the QO, which I doubt, the Oct 1 deadline is meaningless.

The QO is a formality. If a one-year contract is what he wants, I'm sure the Suns would be willing to pay him a fair salary (~$11M) for that one year. Obviously the Suns would prefer to have him locked up for longer, and if Bledsoe is wise he'll choose the security of a longer contract, but I don't think the Suns will play hardball and try to coerce him to sign the longer contract by not offering him a fair salary in a short one.
Why would the Suns do that? $8M so there are no hurt feelings?

SDC

Post by SDC »

Cap wrote:Gambo makes a lot of sense, but it makes me think of this statement from a Chris Mooney article on motivated reasoning:
And that undercuts the standard notion that the way to persuade people is via evidence and argument. In fact, head-on attempts to persuade can sometimes trigger a backfire effect, where people not only fail to change their minds when confronted with the facts—they may hold their wrong views more tenaciously than ever.
In other words: Nice letter, Gambo, but don't expect it to help.
it's not really supposed to.
Fire your agent. Get some real representation. Start over. - Gambo