Suns trade Ariza to Wizards - for real.

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Suns trade Ariza to Wizards - for real.

Post by Split T »

I think we’re underrating Oubre. He’s nothing special, but he is a capable shooter, a good athlete, and he defends. Reports are that there is significant interest around the league in him. Teams without cap space this offseason may trade for him, just to get his bird rights so they can match any offer he gets.

SDC

Post by SDC »

i wish the suns traded ariza for a point guard instead of another wing player.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Ehhh I think we're (I am) rating him just fine. He's a dime a dozen swing. Bridges is better all around, TJ's a better scorer, JJ's a better ballhandler. If the FO likes Oubre enough it'll come down to JJ and Oubre. Oubre may have some trade value tho here.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:51 am
Ehhh I think we're (I am) rating him just fine. He's a dime a dozen swing. Bridges is better all around, TJ's a better scorer, JJ's a better ballhandler. If the FO likes Oubre enough it'll come down to JJ and Oubre. Oubre may have some trade value tho here.
Sure, I’m not saying he’s a star. It just seemed like people on here thought he was useless. He’s more consistent than Jackson right now, albeit they are different players. Ariza wasn’t really giving us anything. Oubre will at least match Ariza’s production and he’s an easier contract to trade.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

It's interesting because I wonder if McD would've waited/held out for the best possible deal. Would he have waited until the deadline and risked the lockerroom with an unhappy vet or would he have made a quick deal just to move on? I'm not sure I would have made this deal this quickly unless things were really bad with Ariza and the team.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:31 am
It's interesting because I wonder if McD would've waited/held out for the best possible deal. Would he have waited until the deadline and risked the lockerroom with an unhappy vet or would he have made a quick deal just to move on? I'm not sure I would have made this deal this quickly unless things were really bad with Ariza and the team.
I will be disappointed if this is all we get for Ariza (if Oubre isn't flipped for something more useful).
There's plenty of teams that are chasing the playoffs and need a 3&D wing. The Pelicans often trade their first rounders and should be all in this year.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

How much does everyone expect to get for 2/3rds of a season of Trevor Ariza?

I just don't see the guy as having that much value. Certainly not going to get you Spencer Dinwiddie or one of the Lakers' young players. Probably not going to get your a first round pick or Markelle Fultz.

He has some value to a contender, but his defense is overrated and his offence is limited. That's why he was a disappointment here, because they needed more from him than he is able to give them - which is not necessarily his fault.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I’m just glad he’s gone

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I will never claim to know what's going on behind the scenes and if we messed up (again) or not but I saw two posts from credible analysts not associated with the Suns saying that it was a weak market for Ariza. there is also now an article saying that we did try to deal with LA and asked for Hart which isn't surprising as I recall we brought him in a couple times during the draft process
I will not argue with anyone that we couldn't do better but I just choose not to dwell on it I guess because as of right now the team's play is trending the right way...
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:18 am
I will never claim to know what's going on behind the scenes and if we messed up (again) or not but I saw two posts from credible analysts not associated with the Suns saying that it was a weak market for Ariza. there is also now an article saying that we did try to deal with LA and asked for Hart which isn't surprising as I recall we brought him in a couple times during the draft process
I will not argue with anyone that we couldn't do better but I just choose not to dwell on it I guess because as of right now the team's play is trending the right way...
You're not doing it right, bg. You've got to find the negative in everything and dwell on it. Me? I look at Ariza as a failed experiment and it was time to move on. Next!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Good riddance...I would also publicly like to admit that I was wrong when I supported the Ariza signing. While the signing didn’t directly hurt us, we wasted 15 million dollars on a bet leader when we got 10X the leadership from Jamal Crawford at the vet minimum.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

We shouldn't have signed Ariza. That much I agree on.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Wasn’t it Golden State during their rebuild several years ago that seemed to have a team made up of swing players? Are the Suns trying to follow their model? It seemed to work out okay for them. Granted Steph curry helped, but he was supposed to be a Sun on draft night anyway.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Tonight I'm a Hawks fan.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:13 am
I’m just glad he’s gone
And 1

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Split T wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:23 am
I think we’re underrating Oubre. He’s nothing special, but he is a capable shooter, a good athlete, and he defends. Reports are that there is significant interest around the league in him. Teams without cap space this offseason may trade for him, just to get his bird rights so they can match any offer he gets.
Not that it's saying much but I think folks are going to prefer seeing him over Josh Jackson.

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

iLLmatic wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:58 pm
Tonight I'm a Hawks fan.
The Ariza Effect

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Xylus wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:03 pm
iLLmatic wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:58 pm
Tonight I'm a Hawks fan.
The Ariza Effect
And we're going to steamroll their asses tomorrow night. Can't wait.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:21 pm

Good riddance...I would also publicly like to admit that I was wrong when I supported the Ariza signing. While the signing didn’t directly hurt us, we wasted 15 million dollars on a bet leader when we got 10X the leadership from Jamal Crawford at the vet minimum.
Agree. Wish him the worst

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

Oh boy, he says he was struggling here. What an asshole. Fuck you Trevor. You are paid 15 million unearned dollars from an organization that was counting on you to be the man and take responsibility on and off the court. You just had to play with effort and be role model for our young guys. Instead, you acting like a drama queen out there. Hope you get a carrier ending injury soon.
I'm so pissed right now.
Last edited by Democritus on Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire