2019 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
AmareIsGod

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by AmareIsGod »

What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:27 pm
Zion gets hurt in the first 30 seconds of a game in which the minimum ticket price is north of $2,000. Man the optics on this one are bad for the NCAA. Hopefully, this turns out to be a minor injury. The twitter doctors are saying it looks like an MCL sprain. We will find out tomorrow. Even if it is minor, Zion should put a halt to his college basketball career immediately. He has nothing to gain at this point.

SDC

Post by SDC »

bad shoe!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Everybody is pointing to this injury as a way of saying that college players should be paid. I don't necessarily agree with that part. But I do think that college basketball tickets should never be jacked up to cost $3000 just because a star player is playing in the game. I'd rather see the NCAA's profit/money go down than see the players' money go up (from $0).

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

There's a simple solution; anyone should be able to profit off of their own likeness.

Duke/Nike wants to sell Zion jerseys? Ok, fine. Negotiate the deal with his agent.

Thankfully the one-and-done in basketball is nearly dead, so hopefully future players won't have to worry as much.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

And people think college players should stay in college longer simply because we want them to.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:26 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:52 pm
Zion blowsout shoe on first play of the game, injured his knee on the fall. Nike stock take a dive tomorrow?
I always feel bad for these kids and it's a big reason why I've increasingly withdrawn from college sports over recent years.

The Nike stock? I'm assuming that's tongue-in-cheek.
It was tongue in cheek, but if you've seen what happened the speculation isn't far fetched.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:38 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:26 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:52 pm
Zion blowsout shoe on first play of the game, injured his knee on the fall. Nike stock take a dive tomorrow?
I always feel bad for these kids and it's a big reason why I've increasingly withdrawn from college sports over recent years.

The Nike stock? I'm assuming that's tongue-in-cheek.
It was tongue in cheek, but if you've seen what happened the speculation isn't far fetched.
They are down 1.67% in after market trading.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:52 am
Everybody is pointing to this injury as a way of saying that college players should be paid. I don't necessarily agree with that part. But I do think that college basketball tickets should never be jacked up to cost $3000 just because a star player is playing in the game. I'd rather see the NCAA's profit/money go down than see the players' money go up (from $0).
You are saying you expect a business to charge willing customers less with the sole intent to lessen profits? Even if the NCAA makes a single dollar on kids, a portion of that money should go to the kids.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Didn’t Nike also have a problem with NBA jerseys tearing when they first started using the new model?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:53 am
Didn’t Nike also have a problem with NBA jerseys tearing when they first started using the new model?
yes

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

There are few sports debates I loathe more than all the crying over the one-and-done rule. I hate lowering the age requirement, but the one bonus is not having to hear people complain about how unfair it is.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

SDC

Post by SDC »

why not eliminate age restrictions, period? go all the way.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I don't even know which direction they're leaning. No restrictions or more?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

SDC

Post by SDC »

adam silver wants to eliminate one and done. he wants high school grads to be able to go straight to the pros.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I really dislike the notion of HS players coming straight to the NBA. I remember the bad old days in the '90s when players were coming out who had no business coming out. Guys would get big NBA money and contracts after having proved nothing, and they'd crash and burn in the pros. NBA GMs had to pick these HS guys way too high for fear of missing out on a phenom. Nobody could make informed draft decisions because high school is such a nonrepresentative sample of play.

I think if they ever start allowing HS guys to go straight to the NBA, they should pay them a pretty pathetic amount, to where most guys will opt to stay in college. And they should have a 2 year minimum rule for the guys who do go to the NCAAs; if you do choose that path, you become ineligible for the NBA unless you stay in college (or otherwise busy yourself) for 2 years.

The current system is broken; these guys being in college for 3-4 months before flunking/dropping out, barely showing up on campus, so they can play one NCAA season, is dumb and broken. These guys are not getting any meaningful education; we should stop pretending that they are student athletes. Their participation in sport has nothing to do with learning or college other than the fact that the colleges want to make money off of them.

Split T

Post by Split T »

The 90’s barely had any high schoolers jump straight to the nba...and the ones who did were pretty successful(Garnett, Kobe, Tmac, J O’Neal) It was the early 2000’s where it became a thing and it wasn’t nearly the disaster that you make it out to be. Kwame Brown was kinda a bust. At least in the fact that he didn’t turn out as planned, but he played 10+ years. Was he a worse #1 overall pick than olowokandi or bargnani? Anthony Bennett was another terrible pick that went to college.

I’d guess the high school bust rate isn’t any different than the college bust rate.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I counted 17 high schoolers drafted in the lottery from 1995-2006. By my count 9 of them met or exceeded expectations. So roughly 8 busts...in the sense that they didn’t meet expectations of a lottery pick.(Kwame, Curry, Bender, Telfair, Miles, Swift, Webster, Diop) Some of those guys had injury issues that kept them from getting opportunities.

I further counted 22 players drafted outside of the lottery and by my count, 13 of them met or exceeded expectations including (Harrington, Lewis, Josh Smith, JR Smith, Green, Ellis, Lou Williams, Perkins, Jefferson, Stevenson, Miles, O’Neal, Johnson)

22/39 seems like a pretty standard success rate. The non lottery guys are especially good and look like better picks than college guys.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

It isn't just the bust rate. Go back and look at the rookie years for even the ones that became stars or high level players. Did we really need them in the NBA a year early? No. LeBron is practically the only one who had no business NOT being in the NBA; he was incredible from day one.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

From the NBA's perspective, this is all about the G-League. It's a shrewd business move by Silver at its core.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.