Whom to pick at 6

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Assuming we keep the pick, who do you want at 6?

Jarrett Culver
24%
Darius Garland
16%
Deandre Hunter
3%
Coby White
5%
Cam Reddish
3%
Brandon Clarke
22%
Nassir Little
No votes
Nickeil Alexander-Walker
No votes
PJ Washington
No votes
Goga Bitadze
3%
The Suns are idiots if they keep this pick
24%

Total votes: 37

Split T

Re: Who to pick at 6

Post by Split T »

carey wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:18 pm
Split T wrote: How does it work financially? We’d have to return salary and Brooklyn can’t take any back to maintain their 2 max salary space.
I believe he was talking about moving DAR if Kyrie signs there since it’s an awful pairing (not that he works much better with Booker but alas.) I don’t think he was talking about how to open up two max slots. It was more about how to get the #6 to include in a potential AD package.
Gotcha...makes sense if they are going after AD...seems more likely that they go after two FA’s...Kyrie and KD...maybe Jimmy

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:44 pm
carey wrote:
Split T wrote: How does it work financially? We’d have to return salary and Brooklyn can’t take any back to maintain their 2 max salary space.
I believe he was talking about moving DAR if Kyrie signs there since it’s an awful pairing (not that he works much better with Booker but alas.) I don’t think he was talking about how to open up two max slots. It was more about how to get the #6 to include in a potential AD package.
Gotcha...makes sense if they are going after AD...seems more likely that they go after two FA’s...Kyrie and KD...maybe Jimmy
We can't take on his contract because we need to shed a ton of salaries/cap holds to get KD.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:45 pm
Split T wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:02 pm
I haven’t really spent a lot of time on Doumbouya...he just seems like a big project and I can’t see Jones going for that. I’ve heard positive things recently and I probably should have included him in the poll...he could be a workout riser. Could potentially be a good fit in theory, but I just have no clue what he’s going to be.
Another Bender.
You mean a timid Eastern Euro, with a flat shot who couldn't get time with their team in Israel, but many dismissed those red flags?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:41 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:45 pm
Split T wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:02 pm
I haven’t really spent a lot of time on Doumbouya...he just seems like a big project and I can’t see Jones going for that. I’ve heard positive things recently and I probably should have included him in the poll...he could be a workout riser. Could potentially be a good fit in theory, but I just have no clue what he’s going to be.
Another Bender.
You mean a timid Eastern Euro, with a flat shot who couldn't get time with their team in Israel, but many dismissed those red flags?
True. But it everyone was hot and bothered over what he could do in workouts. If you’re gonna draft projects, you better be sure you have a good team already and know how to develop players.

Split T

Post by Split T »

carey wrote:
Just listened to the pod...There is kinda some interesting things that make this seem possible. Brooklyn is obviously clearing space for something. Lots of Kyrie talk, and like you said, Kyrie and Russell aren’t great fits. Dinwiddie is better.

I don’t think Booker and Russell are ideal fits either, but we badly need people who can create offense and Russell can do that. We’d still need to send out a contract or clear cap space in some way. Simmons mentioned Josh Jackson, sign me up for that. Sending #6 and JJ for D-Lo would allow us to sign him to a deal starting at about 23 million. Would D-Lo take that? Or is he after the max? I think we could offer the max if we swap Jackson for Warren.

Would I do it? It’s tempting, D-Lo/Booker/Ayton makes for quite an offensive trio, but could be pretty awful defensively.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I would do a sign and trade for DLo, but no reason to give up the 6th pick if they have decided that 2.5 max players at PG might be a bit too much.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

It seems unwise to tie up $50M+ for several years on a backcourt, but I suppose beggars can't be choosers at this point.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:43 pm
It seems unwise to tie up $50M+ for several years on a backcourt, but I suppose beggars can't be choosers at this point.
It will be around $65M without including Lavert or any other SG.

Oh wait, are you talking about the Suns? If that's the case, do you think it's better to put $50M in the front court?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I think it is a bad idea to invest a max contract in D'Angelo Russell. I think it is a terrible idea to invest a max contract AND a lotto pick in D'Angelo Russell.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I just changed my pick to Clarke after watching his NCAA tournament highlights. He'd look good next to Ayton and shore up his weaknesses. If we draft him though, I still hope he's playing a backup role to Randle.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:22 pm
I just changed my pick to Clarke after watching his NCAA tournament highlights. He'd look good next to Ayton and shore up his weaknesses. If we draft him though, I still hope he's playing a backup role to Randle.
Watching his games in the NCAA tournament was enough for me. Just incredible defensive anticipation. Off the charts BBIQ on defense. His offensive capabilities were exposed a bit against Tech. He has a lot to work on for sure, but given the path he's taken, I don't doubt he'll put in the work.

My concerns about Clarke are the same now as they were at the beginning of the draft process. The biggest issue for me isn't his shot (it'll get there, or close enough) or his standing reach (it's a negative, pure and simple), but the weight. Given his age, can he put on the weight to bang with bigs on the next level? While there's a lot to like about him, I don't think he's got that rabid dog in him that allowed Rodman to guard Malone and Shaq.

But at the end of the day, it's all about the #s. Wingspan or no, dude blocks shots, gets steals. Shot or no, dude scores at high efficiency and doesn't turn it over. And since his negatives are essentially reducible to his lack of physical gifts, it's worth noting that his combine numbers were absolutely killer. So much so that I think he's the obvious selection.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Agreed

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

OE32 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:01 pm
Superbone wrote:
Watching his games in the NCAA tournament was enough for me. Just incredible defensive anticipation. Off the charts BBIQ on defense. His offensive capabilities were exposed a bit against Tech. He has a lot to work on for sure, but given the path he's taken, I don't doubt he'll put in the work.

My concerns about Clarke are the same now as they were at the beginning of the draft process. The biggest issue for me isn't his shot (it'll get there, or close enough) or his standing reach (it's a negative, pure and simple), but the weight. Given his age, can he put on the weight to bang with bigs on the next level? While there's a lot to like about him, I don't think he's got that rabid dog in him that allowed Rodman to guard Malone and Shaq.

But at the end of the day, it's all about the #s. Wingspan or no, dude blocks shots, gets steals. Shot or no, dude scores at high efficiency and doesn't turn it over. And since his negatives are essentially reducible to his lack of physical gifts, it's worth noting that his combine numbers were absolutely killer. So much so that I think he's the obvious selection.
Good assessment. I agree.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I picked Clarke because I think he will be the BPA. If Culver is still on the board, I like him better and would be tempted to take him.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

sunshoopjunky

Post by sunshoopjunky »

Depending on whats available, I think we are in a position where we could trade 6 with the Bulls for pick 7 and Dunn. If he turns the corner we could lock him up for a bargain if not we let him walk and didn't lose much.
Phoenix Suns - The art of taking a punch.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

sunshoopjunky wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:32 pm
Depending on whats available, I think we are in a position where we could trade 6 with the Bulls for pick 7 and Dunn. If he is turns the corner we could lock him up for a bargain if not we let him walk and didn't lose much.
I realize that Dunn isn't very good, but why would the Bulls trade their starting PG to move up one spot in the draft?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

sunshoopjunky

Post by sunshoopjunky »

So we dont take White or the last pg.

sunshoopjunky

Post by sunshoopjunky »

https://pippenainteasy.com/2019/06/06/c ... is-dunn/2/

I dont like 1 or 3 but option 2 could happen if they don't trade pick 7 for Ball or if we dont trade 6 for Ball. Davis to Lakers could really shake things up as well.

If only 1 of Garland or White falls to us. The Bulls will have no leverage.

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:16 pm
I think it is a bad idea to invest a max contract in D'Angelo Russell. I think it is a terrible idea to invest a max contract AND a lotto pick in D'Angelo Russell.
this. He isn't a max player, as I can't ever see him as a main guy on a contending team. If we have him on our roster as a max player, we know he has to go, or Booker, or Ayton in the next 3 years. And people don't generally give you good offers for the 3rd most talented max player on your roster...