Around the League: The Off-season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Around the League: The Off-season

Post by ShelC »

Depending on who else the Lakers add, the West is pretty wide open right now. Might as well give it another shot.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:40 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:28 am
carey wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:58 am
Interesting article on the Rox.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/269 ... ds-rockets
I'm surprised the Rockets don't just run it back, with whatever tweaks they can make to help the roster. They came within a hair's breadth of beating GSW again, and now the Warriors are the walking wounded and likely out of title contention. Why wouldn't the Rockets want one more shot at making the Finals? They have as good a shot as anybody. I get that their roster and coaching staff is imperfect, but what current Western team can't say the same? One more run, guys, one more run.
Yeah,Rockets shouldn't panic. They should be smart in what they need to fix. How about McD focus on boxing out each possession? They got killed when they consistently stopped boxing out and got killed off of second, third, and fourth chances.
Good I hope they panic and crumble.

carey

Post by carey »

In2ition wrote:

Yeah,Rockets shouldn't panic. They should be smart in what they need to fix. How about McD focus on boxing out each possession? They got killed when they consistently stopped boxing out and got killed off of second, third, and fourth chances.
They've already panicked so it's a little late for that. Fired DA's entire coaching staff and refused to extend him - or offered him a cheap ass Sarver-esque one. Actually that entire article reeked of a Robert Sarver.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:30 pm
In2ition wrote:

They've already panicked so it's a little late for that. Fired DA's entire coaching staff and refused to extend him - or offered him a cheap ass Sarver-esque one. Actually that entire article reeked of a Robert Sarver.
Wait, I thought they came back to him later and said we do want to extend you. Did I miss that? I didn't hear they fired his staff. I am so out of the loop

carey

Post by carey »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:50 pm

Wait, I thought they came back to him later and said we do want to extend you. Did I miss that? I didn't hear they fired his staff. I am so out of the loop
They did but for below market value ($5m/yr with a bonus for each round of the playoffs reached) and they wouldn't give him the 3rd year.

They let his staff go fairly soon after they lost in the playoffs.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Very Sarveresque.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

ugh. so stupid. I mean, they are so outmatched against GS. You have 3-4 HOFs playing at or near their peak, plus another in Iggy that certainly isn't at his peak, but still a strong glue guy. On the Rockets side you have Harden... then a very aged Paul. Capella is really good, but can't stretch the floor or get to the line, or make them when he does. It is Houston Hardens against an all-time stacked team. Much more stacked that LeBron, Wade and Bosh in Miami.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The Rockets seem to want to get rid of Capella, but I think that would be a mistake. For one, they won't get good return on a trade for him right now. Second, they seem to be overspecializing on how to match up against the Warriors, when for the next 1-2 years the Warriors aren't the team to worry about. You can absolutely play Capella against a team like the Lakers, Portland, or Denver. You just can't play him against the Warriors smallball lineup. Keep Capella and use him for a few years as his value will go up.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

That Chris Paul contract is a killer. Daryl Morey deserves a ton of criticism for whatever is going on with the Rockets now.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:39 pm
That Chris Paul contract is a killer. Daryl Morey deserves a ton of criticism for whatever is going on with the Rockets now.
Yeah, he sucks! He fleeced OKC to acquire an MVP-level superstar, made moves that have helped get them to the conference finals last year, the semis this year, has a perennial MVP candidate on the roster, and arguably has the top team in the West going into next season. What an idiot loser!

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:17 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Yeah, he sucks! He fleeced OKC to acquire an MVP-level superstar, made moves that have helped get them to the conference finals last year, the semis this year, has a perennial MVP candidate on the roster, and arguably has the top team in the West going into next season. What an idiot loser!
That's not at all what I'm saying.

My point is that he put the Rockets in this position by signing Chris Paul to that ridiculous contract.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:35 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

My point is that he put the Rockets in this position by signing Chris Paul to that ridiculous contract.
Prior to that he traded Beverly, Williams, and Harrell + a 1st round pick for Paul. Those moves didn't make the team better.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:31 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Prior to that he traded Beverly, Williams, and Harrell + a 1st round pick for Paul. Those moves didn't make the team better.
That’s such a bad trade in retrospect for Houston

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:36 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:31 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

That’s such a bad trade in retrospect for Houston
I disagree. They were a pulled hamstring away from being in the finals last year and probably winning the championship.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think they would have been in better position with Beverley/Williams/Harrell. Williams alone was arguably better in 2017-2018 than CP3

Edit: ok, maybe not. But add Harrell and Beverley and it’s close in 2017-2018. No question who was better last year and moving forward.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I forget. Did this get reported here?

"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

And let this be an inspiration to you all:

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Good for Gentry:

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Can’t imagine anyone bites unless it’s for an equally bad contract. CP3? Wall?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

New Orleans?
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.