Around the League: The Off-season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Around the League: The Off-season

Post by Mori Chu »

carey wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:30 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:44 pm
What's the point of theorizing about trading for Kemba?
Because we theorize about ever other player and thing in the league?
What do you think we can send to the Lakers to acquire Anthony Davis? Do you think Bridges and a future 1st would get it done? :)

carey

Post by carey »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
carey wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
What do you think we can send to the Lakers to acquire Anthony Davis? Do you think Bridges and a future 1st would get it done? :)
Ok smarty pants. You're acting like there weren't a bunch of posts saying we should go after AD before that trade with ideas on how to get it done even though we all know it never was going to happen.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

carey wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:00 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
carey wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Ok smarty pants. You're acting like there weren't a bunch of posts saying we should go after AD before that trade with ideas on how to get it done even though we all know it never was going to happen.
I'm just giving you a hard time. But I just don't see why one would spend one's valuable time theorizing about players we have no chance of acquiring. Why not talk about some of the players we have an actual plausible path toward getting?

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Don't kink shame us rosterbators! hahaha. It is fun and does no harm. Great way to learn about the cba and other teams too.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:58 am
Don't kink shame us rosterbators! hahaha. It is fun and does no harm. Great way to learn about the cba and other teams too.
Agreed.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Let's steal him!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Hmm. Wonder who wants Capela? I think he became underrated during this recent playoffs. I wouldn't mind having him here, though I'm not sure about the fit with Ayton. Capela provides great defense and helps make up for Ayton's shortcomings in that regard, but I am not sure you can play them together since neither can hit 3s effectively.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:58 am
What about the hair on your palms?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:11 pm
Hmm. Wonder who wants Capela? I think he became underrated during this recent playoffs. I wouldn't mind having him here, though I'm not sure about the fit with Ayton. Capela provides great defense and helps make up for Ayton's shortcomings in that regard, but I am not sure you can play them together since neither can hit 3s effectively.
He became underrated because he didn't play as well as a year ago.

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:11 pm
Yet....coming soon?!?...maybe?!?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'm just wondering who the Rockets are to going replace him with. I know the game has changed but Capela is still a guy most teams covet. I think it'd be a big mistake trading him to get Jimmy Butler.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:47 pm
I'm just wondering who the Rockets are to going replace him with. I know the game has changed but Capela is still a guy most teams covet. I think it'd be a big mistake trading him to get Jimmy Butler.
I agree with that. It seems like the Rockets are learning the wrong lesson from their past two playoff losses. Yes, the league has gravitated toward 3-point shooting. But a team of 5 wings won't win a title. You do need some size, rebounding, and interior defense to win. Capela gives a lot of that to the Rockets. They seem to be undervaluing one of their most important players.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Feels like Morey just doesn't get it sometimes, unless he's got some other tricks up his sleeve. A 24 yr old rim running, defensive big who's giving you 16/12/1.5 on league leading FG%? And even tho the West is more open next year they're still looking at Nurkic, Jokic, AD, (ahem) Ayton, and the rest.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I agree with you guys. It feels like he thinks he can get almost the same production from someone else at a fraction of the price, and therefore is going to put most of his money into the 1, 2, and 3 positions. "Finding a Capela is easy enough...there are 3-4 found in every draft at the end of the 1st round or even the second. And if that doesn't work, I can get a guy like Nerlens Noel on the cheap to do the same job."

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’ve never been a huge Capela guy. Honestly Nerlens is probably 80% of Capela. Jimmy is a star. The locker room fit might be interesting, but basketball wise I get it.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

You just have to have the feeling that "reporters" are just throwing shit against the wall to see what sticks. 90% of these rumors won't happen, and there will be deals that nobody saw coming.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:16 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:35 am
In2ition wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:48 pm
Would you guys be interested in bringing back PJ Tucker in the a 3 team trade even if it helped out Houston?
It would be a great way to introduce Cam to Phoenix Suns culture.

Welcome, Cam. We drafted you because we love your shooting and you are ready to play. Meet Mikal, who we just traded up to draft last year. He'll be playing in front of you at SF. This is Kelly. We just signed him to a big contract. He will also be playing in front of you at SF. Say hello to Dario. We just traded a high pick for him. He will be starting at PF, and he's in a contract year, so you can expect him to get a ton of playing time. And here's PJ, a long time Suns fan favorite we just brought back. He will out rebound, out defend, and out hustle you, so you can expect him to get the remaining minutes at PF. Here's TJ Warren's phone number, you might want to call him to commiserate on being drafted here.
Is it just because he's 6'9" that there is a belief that Cam will play PF? I'm curious why a lot of people believe this.
I have seen him listed as a SG some places.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:58 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:16 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:35 am
In2ition wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:48 pm
Would you guys be interested in bringing back PJ Tucker in the a 3 team trade even if it helped out Houston?
It would be a great way to introduce Cam to Phoenix Suns culture.

Welcome, Cam. We drafted you because we love your shooting and you are ready to play. Meet Mikal, who we just traded up to draft last year. He'll be playing in front of you at SF. This is Kelly. We just signed him to a big contract. He will also be playing in front of you at SF. Say hello to Dario. We just traded a high pick for him. He will be starting at PF, and he's in a contract year, so you can expect him to get a ton of playing time. And here's PJ, a long time Suns fan favorite we just brought back. He will out rebound, out defend, and out hustle you, so you can expect him to get the remaining minutes at PF. Here's TJ Warren's phone number, you might want to call him to commiserate on being drafted here.
Is it just because he's 6'9" that there is a belief that Cam will play PF? I'm curious why a lot of people believe this.
I have seen him listed as a SG some places.
If we get Oubre back, the question is where is Cam going to get his minutes? Oubre would be our starting SF with Bridges being our SF off the bench. We don't think Cam will play at PF, right? So that would mean his minutes would have to be at SF and/or SG. Maybe the thinking will be that Bridges and Cam would be interchangeable at both the SG and SF positions.

"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

We just have a lot more guys capable of playing backup SG than guys who can play backup PF. It's gotta be one of Oubre / Bridges / Cam.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan