Eric Bledsoe [RFA]

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
The Bobster

Re: Eric Bledsoe [RFA]

Post by The Bobster »

I don't think we should begrudge Bledsoe for looking to get as much money as he can, even if it means leaving Phoenix. The only time I would hold it against a player is if he was doing something unethical (such as violating the terms of his contract).

Right now the Suns and Bledsoe have both done things according to the collective bargaining agreement - so whether we like it or not, it's just the way the business is.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Sunsfan4life wrote: Whats he suppose to say? "We're trying to deal Bledsoe and want to do it sooner rather then later"
"Our preference is to keep Eric, but we're going to remain flexible because it's a fluid situation."

"We're going to do whatever it takes to improve the team; nothing is off the table."

"We'll look at all the possibilities and do what's best for the Phoenix Suns."

Wow, that was hard.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
SDC wrote:
Superbone wrote:I'll be happy to have this resolved. If we get anything decent it is a win. Bledsoe, get ready to get booed in Phoenix this season.
why boo him? strictly business, nothing personal.
yeah I don't have any reason to boo him.

Sent using Tapatalk
Maybe you guys don't but there is no doubt if he were to get traded before the season starts, he'd get booed mightily upon his return.
why? For wanting more money than we offered?

Sent using Tapatalk
Yes, for expecting the max after half a good season and not showing love for the team at any point.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

I have a hard time hating on a guy because he wanted more money. He didn't weasel his way out of a contract (like Boozer) or act like Horry. He just wants to get as much money as he can on the open market. It is the same thing any mercenary does. It is the profession he has chosen, and we have chosen to follow (and support).

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:I have a hard time hating on a guy because he wanted more money. He didn't weasel his way out of a contract (like Boozer) or act like Horry. He just wants to get as much money as he can on the open market. It is the same thing any mercenary does. It is the profession he has chosen, and we have chosen to follow (and support).
I will not support mercenary tendencies above all else. I enjoy rooting for players that appreciate what they have and like the team, their teammates, and the city. It's got to be a reciprocal relationship. Bledsoe was offered what most think was a fair deal. Spreewell made it all about the money and look what happened to him.

"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

And I'm sure the Suns would never, ever trade Bledsoe if he re-signed because it's all about mutual love.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:And I'm sure the Suns would never, ever trade Bledsoe if he re-signed because it's all about mutual love.
I didn't say that. He's getting paid his $48 million whether he's traded or not.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:I have a hard time hating on a guy because he wanted more money. He didn't weasel his way out of a contract (like Boozer) or act like Horry. He just wants to get as much money as he can on the open market. It is the same thing any mercenary does. It is the profession he has chosen, and we have chosen to follow (and support).
I will not support mercenary tendencies above all else. I enjoy rooting for players that appreciate what they have and like the team, their teammates, and the city. It's got to be a reciprocal relationship. Bledsoe was offered what most think was a fair deal. Spreewell made it all about the money and look what happened to him.
I don't think he is being any different than a co-worker on contract that had her contract come up and decided to look around for a better deal. He isn't pulling a Kidd and bad mouthing the org either. He is being silent and letting his agent do the talking (which is what he pays him for). Worse-case, he picked the wrong agent and listens to him too much.

We probably aren't going to agree on this one Bone.

Sent using Tapatalk

carey

Post by carey »

Indy wrote: I don't think he is being any different than a co-worker on contract that had her contract come up and decided to look around for a better deal. He isn't pulling a Kidd and bad mouthing the org either. He is being silent and letting his agent do the talking (which is what he pays him for). Worse-case, he picked the wrong agent and listens to him too much.
I appreciate what you're trying to say Indy, but you can't compare professional sports to any normal job. These people are fixtures of the community they play in and to some extent role models (even if they don't want to be.) These kind of comparisons don't really make sense. If Bledsoe would have endeared himself to the fans before the negotiations this probably plays out differently. Instead he didn't say a word, hasn't been in town, and has done a number of things that suggest he doesn't want to be here (awful exit interview, the favoriting of the tweet saying the Lakers should sign him but nothing about the Suns, etc...)
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
I don't think he is being any different than a co-worker on contract that had her contract come up and decided to look around for a better deal. He isn't pulling a Kidd and bad mouthing the org either. He is being silent and letting his agent do the talking (which is what he pays him for). Worse-case, he picked the wrong agent and listens to him too much.

No, I don't think we will but it's an interesting argument and I can see both sides. Maybe I'm not looking at it impartially but Bledsoe certainly isn't endearing himself to me and I understand he doesn't owe me that. I think he should look out for himself but I also think he's being unreasonable given his performance record. I want the best for my team.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:

No, I don't think we will but it's an interesting argument and I can see both sides. Maybe I'm not looking at it impartially but Bledsoe certainly isn't endearing himself to me and I understand he doesn't owe me that. I think he should look out for himself but I also think he's being unreasonable given his performance record. I want the best for my team.
I think we all do. I would feel more like you if this was a McDyess situation where we nurture him back from the grave and he bolts first chance he gets. So I can see your side too.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Will he sign the QO at the deadline, skipping the start of camp and Media Day? Or will he sign on time to participate?

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

I just wish this crap was over and done so we could talk about something else.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Yeah, I just want the Eric Bledsoe era to end and the Zoran Dragic era to begin!

carey

Post by carey »

From the Suns insider at RealGM: "Here is maybe a tidbit: We are not shopping Bledsoe. We are not looking for deals. We are not trying to move him for his benefit. And this is pissing him off."

I think this is what Info has been saying. I disagree and think we have to have been. The only other explanation is that we really are ok with him playing under the QO.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

carey wrote:From the Suns insider at RealGM: "Here is maybe a tidbit: We are not shopping Bledsoe. We are not looking for deals. We are not trying to move him for his benefit. And this is pissing him off."

I think this is what Info has been saying. I disagree and think we have to have been. The only other explanation is that we really are ok with him playing under the QO.
It makes sense. We know that no one is going to give us anything in a sign and trade that would be worth it. If he signs the QO, we get him cheap for another year. If he plays at superstar level, we can pay him more than anyone else. If he plays marginally well, and someone wants to over pay him, then we will find someone that we want with that cap money. If he gets injured, we will thank him for signing the QO and send him on his way. Suns mgmt might be viewing the 4/48 as more of a risk than the QO.

"Ok, Eric. If you don't like that, we can work out a one year deal for you. No problem. Sign here."

After all, he is "mini-Lebron" not LeBron. We HAVE other players.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

I think the "insiders" at RealGM are full of hot air. I don't believe any of the "leaked news" they report.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'm holding out for "giant-LeBron".
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

iLLmatic wrote:I think the "insiders" at RealGM are full of hot air. I don't believe any of the "leaked news" they report.
Agreed.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

carey

Post by carey »

INFORMER wrote:
iLLmatic wrote:I think the "insiders" at RealGM are full of hot air. I don't believe any of the "leaked news" they report.
Agreed.
Weird considering he's saying what you've been claiming. .I don't think he knows exactly going on but has the jist of the situation. All in all it doesn't matter much.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!