Suns News: September

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
SwingMan

Re: Suns News: September

Post by SwingMan »

JCSunsfan wrote:As far as Hawkins goes, I do not know if anyone in the NBA has ever had bigger hands. He handled the ball like it was a tennis ball. When you realize how he palmed the ball, even on dunks, no one sees that today.

Enjoy.
I met Connie Hawkins back in 1997 at a charity auction held at Warsaw Wally's (now Chopper John's) during an open blues jam - I shook his hand and, I swear, his index finger could've damn near reached halfway up my forearm. Huge hands, super cool and there's no way in hell he way only 6' 9", as I'm 6' 4" and I barely came up to the man's shoulder.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:
Superbone wrote:
INFORMER wrote:Anyone else notice Coro has been late to the game nearly all offseason, particularly when it comes to Eric Bledsoe news? Windhorst and Wojnarowski have beat him to the punch repeatedly, with Coro releasing an article 12 to 24 hours later essentially restating what those national guys already broke.
Coro reported about it at 9:37 pm tonight. Check the other thread.
That's my point. He comes rushing in after Woj already broke the story. And his article simply restates everything Woj reported.
I think our front office is pretty tight-lipped. A lot of Woj's sources are agents and Coro doesn't have the same access to them. Woj also happens to be the best news-breaker in the business.

Windhorst's Minnesota story was almost definitely a leak from Rich Paul's camp.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

LazarusLong wrote:"Beasley, Kendall Marshall, Warrick, Childress, Marcus Banks, Toby Bailey, Dijon Thompson, Alando Tucker, the Langhi..."

The Langhi definitely gets consideration. Shot 70% in practice, about 17% in games. Defense softer than the Stay-Puff man ...

<*ahem*>James Jones</*ahem*>

90% in practice, 5% in games (and 0% when shots were needed most).

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Shabazz wrote:How about everyone's bottom 10? Here are mine since I've been a fan.

10. Hot Rod Williams
9. Randy Livingston (Googs was never the same)
8. Sam Cassell
7. Hedo Turkoglu
6. Josh Childress
5. Mario Elie
4. Luc Longley
3. Vince Carter
2. Robert Horry
1. Michael Beasley
What?!? No Marcus Banks?? Has to be top 5 at least. They could have had Rondo, and instead thought they found a great back up pg to Nash only to find out that it was a HUGE mistake 2 minutes into his first voluntary workout game in PHX, when the ink hadn't even had time to dry on his contract.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

You never did like Jonesy, did you Quisty?

Glad to have you back.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

In2ition wrote:
Shabazz wrote:How about everyone's bottom 10? Here are mine since I've been a fan.

10. Hot Rod Williams
8. Sam Cassell
7. Hedo Turkoglu
6. Josh Childress
5. Mario Elie
4. Luc Longley
3. Vince Carter
2. Robert Horry
1. Michael Beasley
What?!? No Marcus Banks?? Has to be top 5 at least. They could have had Rondo, and instead thought they found a great back up pg to Nash only to find out that it was a HUGE mistake 2 minutes into his first voluntary workout game in PHX, when the ink hadn't even had time to dry on his contract.
Yup. I already admitted I whiffed on that one. I'd probably slot banks at #5.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Banks sorta gets a bad rap. Phoenix had wanted John Salmons and seemingly had him almost signed before he backed off and signed with another team (Sacramento, I think). Suns management then signed Banks, overpaying him. He was more a small off guard than a PG and D'Antoni never forgave him for not being what he thought he should be.

He was Shannon Brown without the bounce ...

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

LazarusLong wrote:You never did like Jonesy, did you Quisty?

Glad to have you back.
In all fairness, what was to like?

Like Frye, his one attribute was, supposedly, shooting and he couldn't even do that.

And thanks. 8-)

Cap

Post by Cap »

I don't understand the Hot Rod hate. I can understand hating the trade that brought him here (not his fault), and being frustrated with his injuries (also not his fault), but he played well for us and didn't have character issues. He doesn't deserve to be on the list.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Josh Childress sucked, but at least he didn't mess up our team in any significant way. I didn't like him here, but he doesn't get my blood boiling the way most of the other names on that list do.

We should move these top/bottom lists into their own thread; it's good stuff.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Hot Rod was supposed to be a defensive juggernaut, but a bad back limited. And he went to Cleveland in exchange for Dan Majerle, which pissed off a major portion of the fan base.

If we're talking about bad trades, I'm surprised RICK EFFING ROBEY is not on this list. :evil: Traded for Dennis Johnson, spent much of his time hurt, fat or both with the Suns. He should be in the bottom five ...

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Shabazz wrote:
In2ition wrote:

10. Hot Rod Williams
8. Sam Cassell
7. Hedo Turkoglu
6. Josh Childress
5. Mario Elie
4. Luc Longley
3. Vince Carter
2. Robert Horry
1. Michael Beasley
Yup. I already admitted I whiffed on that one. I'd probably slot banks at #5.
What about
Jarrod "my cousin murdered the girl expecting my child" Mustaf,
Richard "snort" Dumas,
Joe Barely Cares,
William "Laziest young man I ever met" Bedford,
Xavier "fingernails" McDaniel,
Jimmy "Toni Braxton" Jackson,
Jake "Whats that smell" Tsakalidas and
Frank "bang the sponsor's wife" Johnson.
Last edited by JCSunsfan on Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Great list, JCSF. Oliver Miller also merits dishonorable mention.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

4th Quarter Frank was actually a pretty good player.

I'd throw Stretch Howard in there though and Paul Stovall would have to be on the list of bad citizens (his arrests included forgery) - http://www.kansas.com/sports/article1114353.html
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

The Bobster wrote:4th Quarter Frank was actually a pretty good player.

I'd throw Stretch Howard in there though and Paul Stovall would have to be on the list of bad citizens (his arrests included forgery) - http://www.kansas.com/sports/article1114353.html
Good player. Bad news as a coach.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

I think you have to make the distinction between guys that stunk and guys that were a-holes.

Tim Kempton, for example, was an awful player. Not an a-hole. Same for, oh, Danny Schayes.

Whereas guys like Beasley, Mustaf, Dumas, etc. . . . a-holes every one.

Mario Bennett was a pretty big bust as well but I don't remember him having attitude issues.

Indy

Post by Indy »

SwingMan wrote:
LazarusLong wrote:"Beasley, Kendall Marshall, Warrick, Childress, Marcus Banks, Toby Bailey, Dijon Thompson, Alando Tucker, the Langhi..."

The Langhi definitely gets consideration. Shot 70% in practice, about 17% in games. Defense softer than the Stay-Puff man ...

More like +40% for 3s Swing.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Dan Langhi really should be then end of the discussion!
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Indy wrote:
SwingMan wrote:

Uh-uh, you aren't baiting me into an argument - not talking career numbers and not even talking season numbers here, Indy.

When the ball was in his hands and we needed a 3, I don't ever recall him hitting one of those shots. Not one.

My take on James Jones was well documented at the original site - I'm not going over this again with you or anyone else.....

Indy

Post by Indy »

SwingMan wrote:
Indy wrote:
SwingMan wrote:

Uh-uh, you aren't baiting me into an argument - not talking career numbers and not even talking season numbers here, Indy.

When the ball was in his hands and we needed a 3, I don't ever recall him hitting one of those shots. Not one.

My take on James Jones was well documented at the original site - I'm not going over this again with you or anyone else.....
That wasn't baiting. Those were his PHX numbers. Just under 41%, actually. A little higher than his career (which is just over 40%).

I know we had many a discussion about this in the past. Again, not baiting; just stating facts. :P