Eric Bledsoe agrees to 5 year, 70 Million Contract Extension

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Eric Bledsoe agrees to 5 year, 70 Million Contract Exten

Post by INFORMER »

England Sun wrote: As others have said, the front court needs some work to make us truly dangerous.
If you can put two sets of brothers with a generation transcending talent like Eric Bledsoe, I can't fathom a more dangerous lineup than that.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Enough, man. It's clear you don't like the deal, been obvious for some time. Don't need to go around trolling the entire site.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

The Bobster wrote:Marcus Banks 2.0?

Really?!!
:lol:

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

specialsauce wrote:Enough, man. It's clear you don't like the deal, been obvious for some time. Don't need to go around trolling the entire site.
I don't appreciate your negativity, but I'm sorry I have bothered you.

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

Eric Bledsoe is WAY better than Marcus Banks.
Phoenix Suns 2024-25 NBA Champions !

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

England Sun wrote:The fifth year is not brilliant, but, compromise from both sides meets in the middle. If he stays heathy this will be a fantastic deal with the cap rising.

As others have said, the front court needs some work to make us truly dangerous.
McD said in an interview yesterday that the 5th year is what the Suns pushed for because of the potential increased revenue on new TV deals. He thinks that locking up Bledsoe longer will be financially advantageous for the Suns and it stabilizes their payroll somewhat.

http://www.foxsports910.com/onair/the-d ... e-12798598

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

I'm comparing an outcome similar with the Marcus Banks' contract, not the players against each other.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:I'm comparing an outcome similar with the Marcus Banks' contract, not the players against each other.
Somehow, I doubt that the outcome will be similar.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:I think they kept flexibility for other moves going forward.
Speaking strictly about during the season, not having any roster spots open doesn't lend itself to flexibility. One spot can be created easily with the waiving of Shavlik Randolph, if Ryan can bring himself to pull the trigger.

But after Zoran signs, the one good thing is that the Suns are still $4 million under the cap.

Preacherpj

Post by Preacherpj »

I don't mind the 5th year at all, again its locking up an upper-tier talent basically through his prime. Thats a good thing.

The injury risk is there, but honestly if you are comfortable giving him huge money for four years, why do people freak out over five? If the injuries are that big of a worry you don't give him 4/48 either.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

In2ition wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:I'm comparing an outcome similar with the Marcus Banks' contract, not the players against each other.
Somehow, I doubt that the outcome will be similar.
For starters because our salary cap situation is radically different.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Reaction to the Bledsoe deal:
Steve Kyler wrote:Five years and $70 million may sound like a lot and in the NBA it just might be, but for the Phoenix Suns this was a chance to secure a rising talent in restricted free agent guard Eric Bledsoe before he had the chance to walk away to another team and leave them with nothing in return.

The salary cap is going up. It’s going to go up a lot, so locking in Bledsoe into a deal that averages $14 million per season isn’t going to represent nearly as much as a percentage of cap space in two years as it does today.

Did the Suns overpay for Bledsoe? Maybe. Historically, the players who have taken less than a maximum offer as an extension have outplayed their deals. When you weigh Bledsoe’s injury history, there is clearly a reason to be concerned, but when you consider Phoenix played its best basketball last season with Bledsoe and Dragic on the floor together, the Suns are betting on a known commodity.

For a team that has really nothing to lose, this wasn’t the terrible deal some will make it out to be. It’s risky for sure, but the Suns couldn’t afford to lose Bledsoe and Dragic and now they have an entire season to judge whether paying Dragic in July makes sense.
Alex Kennedy wrote: Paying Bledsoe $14 million per season doesn’t seem like the best use of the Suns’ money considering they have three other talented point guards under contract in Goran Dragic, Isaiah Thomas and Tyler Ennis. I get that Jeff Hornacek wants to use two point guards at a time, but it seems like this isn’t the best way for Phoenix to use their resources.

Also, the next time that the Suns are negotiating with a free agent, don’t be surprised if that player tries to play hardball with Phoenix because they just watched the Suns’ brass give in and give Bledsoe a much bigger offer. This sets a precedent that could affect Phoenix in later negotiations because agents don’t forget these kind of things. It could even affect their negotiations with Dragic, who can become an unrestricted free agent after the season (and who may have deserved that money more given his excellent play last season).

Finally, there’s the biggest question: Is Bledsoe really worth $14 million per season? He has only been a full-time NBA starter for less than half of a season. He was productive during that time, but it’s not like he put up superstar-level numbers. Not to mention, this is the golden era of point guards, so replacing Bledsoe wouldn’t have been too difficult. Hell, his replacement might have already been on their roster.
http://www.basketballinsiders.com/did-s ... c-bledsoe/

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

I understand the concern about how minutes will be divvied up between Bledsoe, Dragic and Thomas. But let's not chirp about Ennis being another "talented point guard" in the rotation until he's played an NBA season.

He's a totally unproven commodity re: NBA.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Cap

Post by Cap »

Alex Kennedy wrote:It could even affect their negotiations with Dragic
Fearless prediction: It sets Dragic's salary exactly. He will get $13.5M for 2015-16, increasing by $0.5M per year.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I think Dragic resigns for 4yrs/$60 million, with flat annual salary of $15 million.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I've let this sink in for a while and I'm torn. It's more money than he deserves (not that that counts for much in the NBA or pro sports) and more money than I feel comfortable giving him given his relative lack of production and health history. But if he's healthy, he's a major problem for other teams, especially when paired with a guy like Dragic or IT2. So it's forward thinking for sure and I'm cautiously optimistic.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
specialsauce wrote:Enough, man. It's clear you don't like the deal, been obvious for some time. Don't need to go around trolling the entire site.
I'm just curious how long it's going to go on for? We know you don't like the deal. We know you'd rather have gone in a different direction. It's getting hard to tell which posts are real and which aren't. So, will it continue indefinitely? The man is signed on for five years.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Preacherpj wrote:I don't mind the 5th year at all, again its locking up an upper-tier talent basically through his prime. Thats a good thing.

The injury risk is there, but honestly if you are comfortable giving him huge money for four years, why do people freak out over five? If the injuries are that big of a worry you don't give him 4/48 either.
Good point, newcomer. :)

And welcome!

"Be Legendary."

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Superbone wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
I'm just curious how long it's going to go on for? We know you don't like the deal. We know you'd rather have gone in a different direction. It's getting hard to tell which posts are real and which aren't. So, will it continue indefinitely? The man is signed on for five years.
[youtube][/youtube]

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

LazarusLong wrote:I understand the concern about how minutes will be divvied up between Bledsoe, Dragic and Thomas. But let's not chirp about Ennis being another "talented point guard" in the rotation until he's played an NBA season.

He's a totally unproven commodity re: NBA.
Hear, hear!

"Be Legendary."