NBA Trade Deadline Thread (Thursday Feb 6th 3pm EST)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
djy2j

Re: NBA Trade Deadline Thread (Thursday Feb 6th 3pm EST)

Post by djy2j »

There was absolutely NO reason to hold on to Johnson's contract. I couldn't find the quote from last year of Jones saying how valuable it could be but it's out there. He said it. He did nothing with it and now we lose the cap space this summer. Cool.

Even if we had cap space this summer there isn't really anyone to use it on. Gallinari? He doesn't want to play in Phoenix. No one does. Just the other day Jones talked about how meaningless the draft is. So what exactly is the strategy James? There's not one. He just finessed his way into this job and job and now he's just cashing checks. Worthless.
Last edited by djy2j on Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

BlueMikey

Post by BlueMikey »

Nothing quite better than shopping around your #2 guy in minutes, disappointing/pissing off/who-knows-what in the process, and then not doing anything at all. The Suns showed their true colors to Oubre for absolutely no reason at all. SMDH

Split T

Post by Split T »

djy2j wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:24 pm
There was absolutely NO reason to hold on to Johnson's contract. I couldn't find the quote from last year of Jones saying how valuable it could be but it's out there. He said it. He did nothing with it and now we lose the cap space this summer. Cool.

Even if we had cap space this summer there isn't really anyone to use it on. Gallinari? Just the other day Jones talked about how meaningless the draft is. So what exactly is the strategy James. Be an absolute loaf of a GM? Nailed it.
Why do we lose the cap space? We get cap space by letting him expire. We would have lost the cap space if we traded him for something.

BookTheGoat

Post by BookTheGoat »

Sose is done

Split T

Post by Split T »

BlueMikey wrote:
Nothing quite better than shopping around your #2 guy in minutes, disappointing/pissing off/who-knows-what in the process, and then not doing anything at all. The Suns showed their true colors to Oubre for absolutely no reason at all. SMDH
There’s no evidence they shopped him. It sounds like Orlando called, we listened, but ultimately said no.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

We don't lose cap space, in the sense that we will have 26M if we renounce to everybody. But good luck improving the team with that money when we have several needs to solve.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

BlueMikey wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:56 pm
Crazy good trade for the Clippers.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Split T wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:25 pm
djy2j wrote:

Even if we had cap space this summer there isn't really anyone to use it on. Gallinari? Just the other day Jones talked about how meaningless the draft is. So what exactly is the strategy James. Be an absolute loaf of a GM? Nailed it.
Why do we lose the cap space? We get cap space by letting him expire. We would have lost the cap space if we traded him for something.
I'm not a cap guru and I could be incredibly wrong...but how it was explained to me was that because we are over the cap we can use a contract like TJ and trade for a similar player salary and remain over the cap. We cannot sign someone and go over the cap unless it's our own player. So we don't get Tyler's salary added to our FA cap space this offseason. Again, I may be wrong but that's what I based the post on.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Gladiator wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:20 pm
This front office does make it hard to like them ...I mean throw us a freaking bone. I can’t remember the last move they made that I loved straight away. It must be disheartening for the players to see everything else going on around the league and we stand pat
I don't know, Monty was a good move.

gosuns

Post by gosuns »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:29 pm
We don't lose cap space, in the sense that we will have 26M if we renounce to everybody. But good luck improving the team with that money when we have several needs to solve.
We have flexibility for the next offseason. We have picks, if we want we can draft, trade or sign for a free agent. Now get some players healthy and finish the season on a positiv note. Develop some chemistry. Develop Ayton.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

BookTheGoat wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:26 pm

Sose is done
I’m a similar age and nearly as long-time supporter. I am not far from following Sose. It’s hard to justify the emotional investment when there is such little return with one of if not the worst owner in the league and knowing deep down it’s not going to get better with him in charge.

Indy

Post by Indy »

So we have 4 expiring contracts, and at least 2-3, potentially all 4 look to be guys that won't be here next year. So we just sat on those expiring gift cards instead of spending them. Hmm. 30 million dollars

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

iLLmatic wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:33 pm
Gladiator wrote:
This front office does make it hard to like them ...I mean throw us a freaking bone. I can’t remember the last move they made that I loved straight away. It must be disheartening for the players to see everything else going on around the league and we stand pat
I mean it is in the sense that the players seem to like him. It certainly is a step up from Hunter, Watson, and Igor. Outside of that I'm not sure. He hasn't really blown me away as a coach. Obviously, we have way bigger problems. So yes, it was a good choice in comparison to a lot of other things they've done in the past year, which were very very bad.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

iLLmatic wrote:
Gladiator wrote:
I was thinking specifically player moves, but that is a good point. It stands out among all the other recent moves, doesn’t it?

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Gladiator wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:39 pm
iLLmatic wrote:
Gladiator wrote:
I was thinking specifically player moves, but that is a good point. It stands out among all the other recent moves, doesn’t it?
I agree with you though, players wise, he hasn't done much. The Oubre trade?

Indy

Post by Indy »

iLLmatic wrote:
Gladiator wrote:
He is a good communicator and life coach. I haven't seen any evidence of our offensive or defensive schemes getting better. Ayton still setting screens 27 feet from the basket, not working in the post, and needing Book to be god-like for us to win a game.

Split T

Post by Split T »

djy2j wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:32 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:25 pm
djy2j wrote:

I'm not a cap guru and I could be incredibly wrong...but how it was explained to me was that because we are over the cap we can use a contract like TJ and trade for a similar player salary and remain over the cap. We cannot sign someone and go over the cap unless it's our own player. So we don't get Tyler's salary added to our FA cap space this offseason. Again, I may be wrong but that's what I based the post on.
We’re over the cap now, but we’ve got over 30 million in expiring contracts. We’ll have about 27-28 million in space if we let everyone expire and renounce their rights(Johnson, Baynes, Kaminsky, Saric are the big ones) Carter and Okobo also expire I believe.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Gladiator wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:38 pm
BookTheGoat wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:26 pm

Sose is done
I’m a similar age and nearly as long-time supporter. I am not far from following Sose. It’s hard to justify the emotional investment when there is such little return with one of if not the worst owner in the league and knowing deep down it’s not going to get better with him in charge.
Pissing away Booker's talent too.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Indy wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:41 pm
iLLmatic wrote:
Gladiator wrote:
He is a good communicator and life coach. I haven't seen any evidence of our offensive or defensive schemes getting better. Ayton still setting screens 27 feet from the basket, not working in the post, and needing Book to be god-like for us to win a game.
At this point Indy I'm comparing him to our head coaches we have previously hired. He's a name at least.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Go get him