Game Day: Hornets (3-5) @ Suns (5-3), Fri 11/14/14

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Game Day: Hornets (3-5) @ Suns (5-3), Fri 11/14/14

Post by Mori Chu »

Dragic is by far the best of the three. Bledsoe defends better and is stronger; IT3 is a better pure scorer. But I want the ball in Dragic's hands; I want him directing our offense. And I just freaking like the guy way better; he's a good dude and has great character and should be a Sun for life.

SDC

Post by SDC »

doesnt sacramento have an excess number of bigs? suns can offer dragic to get one of those.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

INFORMER wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:A game like tonight makes me really wish Dragic were our only PG. The two-PG thing is rough and I don't think it really works. And I am starting to feel like Isaiah Thomas is fool's gold.
Last year there was more room for the two pgs, both in terms of floor space and minutes distribution.

Basically everything that's working differently is a byproduct of substracting Frye and adding IT3, and it's not looking good overall. The team wins games because it has a lot of firepower and is never completely out of it, but that's looking to be unsustainable.

I wouldn't say Thomas is fool's gold, though. Just like Green, he is what he is, and nobody is on every game. But from a roster standpoint, maybe having just one of them is enough, assuming that by pawning the other one off you add something you lack like big man depth, while also improving the dynamics of the two starters.

Others have spoken about this notion but I think it won't take much longer until the need to make a move is perentory (if it isn't already).
1. Hard to blame the two guys that are almost singlehandedly responsible for multiple wins.
2. Interesting, though not unexpected, how one player is inexplicably absent from that diagnosis of what ails the team.
1.- I said things are working differently. Aren't they? What's the cause? IT's presence not only impacts Bledsoe and Dragic, also Green and his shot selection. Frye's meaning to Dragic and the offense in general is well documented. I don't know what you want here.

2.- Bledsoe's TOs and inconsistent offense, headlined by the game agains the Clippers where he had one miserable point, are of course harming the Suns. Do you think I have any personal investment on Bledsoe? I call it the way I see it, wether he is good or bad. And he's not been alone, that's for sure.

Take a look at the post I was replying to. Mori said he doesn't think the two PG system works, and that Thomas is fool's gold. My point is 'what if the problem was adding a third scorer PG and replacing Frye with Tolliver?'.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Bledsoe and Dragic played well together last year. Small sample size, but there weren't games like these.

The bigger issue than Bledsoe IMO, is the Morris Bros contracts. We're obligated to play them now, Marcus especially.

YGR

Post by YGR »

Mori Chu wrote:Dragic is by far the best of the three. Bledsoe defends better and is stronger; IT3 is a better pure scorer. But I want the ball in Dragic's hands; I want him directing our offense. And I just freaking like the guy way better; he's a good dude and has great character and should be a Sun for life.
I am feeling the same way with Mori, too. I wish Dragic were our only PG. I love his great character and hope he should be a Sun for life, too.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:Bledsoe and Dragic played well together last year. Small sample size, but there weren't games like these.

The bigger issue than Bledsoe IMO, is the Morris Bros contracts. We're obligated to play them now, Marcus especially.
Each of those guys, separately, have shown much more impact/$$ than Bledsoe this year. It isn't even close. And I am a fan of Bleds.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:Dragic is by far the best of the three. Bledsoe defends better and is stronger; IT3 is a better pure scorer. But I want the ball in Dragic's hands; I want him directing our offense. And I just freaking like the guy way better; he's a good dude and has great character and should be a Sun for life.
I agree with all of that.

Cap

Post by Cap »

5/70 = 13/5/5?

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

I knew losing Frye was going to have a bigger impact then expected from day one. He was always extremely underrated here, and his value may not have always showed up in the stat line, but he was a big part what we have been doing here, for years.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Phoenix219 wrote:I knew losing Frye was going to have a bigger impact then expected from day one. He was always extremely underrated here, and his value may not have always showed up in the stat line, but he was a big part what we have been doing here, for years.
p219, is there any starting player that left in the past 5-10 years you didn't think was underrated? Serious question.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

I haven't complained about losing a player in years. We just let Frye and Gortat go and have an immense need for size and floor spacing. I wanted Nash and Hill to retire here, disliked the Marion and Dragic trades, thought we should have resigned Frye and Gortat, and thought it was dumb to dismantle the 2010 team, but agreed with the decision on Amare's money. We've had so many crap players through here over the last 5-10 years, yeah, there are a ton of starters that i've never cared for. We have started all sorts of terrible players; Vince, Hedo, Robin Lopez, James Jones; old players past their prime, like Shaq, or Michael Redd, or at least completely average ones, like the Morrii, and as much as I had love for some players, like LB and Dudley, or Diaw, my complaints were minimal.

When we get rid of things that were obviously, visually working, like Frye, or Marion, or get rid of an asset like Gortat, or waste a ton of money on a Childress, or invest something close to the contract we woudln't give Amare, into a busted, unproven player like Bledsoe, then yes, I am very vocal.

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

I think losing Frye was really the big change for us this season.
I wouldn't pay what he's making in Orlando, but we really need a stretch 4 with size and a reliable 3 point shot. It hurts to watch Plumlee running high pick and rolls and the defense doubling Dragic/Bledsoe without punishment.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Indy wrote:
Phoenix219 wrote:I knew losing Frye was going to have a bigger impact then expected from day one. He was always extremely underrated here, and his value may not have always showed up in the stat line, but he was a big part what we have been doing here, for years.
p219, is there any starting player that left in the past 5-10 years you didn't think was underrated? Serious question.
bledsoe?

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Furlanfufi wrote:I think losing Frye was really the big change for us this season.
I wouldn't pay what he's making in Orlando, but we really need a stretch 4 with size and a reliable 3 point shot. It hurts to watch Plumlee running high pick and rolls and the defense doubling Dragic/Bledsoe without punishment.
compared to what we have tied up in bledsoe and the twins, frye's orlando money seems pretty reasonable....

Indy

Post by Indy »

Phoenix219 wrote:
Furlanfufi wrote:I think losing Frye was really the big change for us this season.
compared to what we have tied up in bledsoe and the twins, frye's orlando money seems pretty reasonable....
I have a feeling we didn't let Frye go just because of money.

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

Why do you think that, Indy?

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Age? Kieff's development? Both?

Indy

Post by Indy »

I don't know why, exactly. But Frye has had a history of injury problems. And the Suns seem to be bailing on players just before they start to fall apart. I think there was some hesitation from the training staff for a long term future. Then add Kieff's development and the expectations they have of him. Just my hunch.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

I just hope it isn't the last possibility, which is the regime cleaning house; Frye and Dragic were/are the last of the "old guys" and McD might be trying to put his own stamp on this team, with "his guys."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Phoenix219 wrote:I just hope it isn't the last possibility, which is the regime cleaning house; Frye and Dragic were/are the last of the "old guys" and McD might be trying to put his own stamp on this team, with "his guys."
To a certain extent, he should. GMs are judged by the players they get, and how they manage the cap. If he isn't a believer in Frye's value, he should work to get something better. We can all argue whether or not he did well, but it is his job to make the best team he can. If someone doesn't fit in that mold, he should get rid of them.