2022 Trade Deadline Talk

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: 2022 Trade Deadline Talk

Post by Split T »

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yaeawrmj

How about this with Houston getting our 2022 1st and OKC getting 2024 instead

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

When's the last time the Kings front office showed competence in this situation? IIRC, they were fleeced the last time they had to make the Bogdanovic deal.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya I think Sacramento is the most incompetent franchise in the league…they do good things from time to time like drafting Fox, Haliburton, Mitchell, and Hield… signing Holmes, trading for Barnes, they fleeced us when they traded for Bogdon…but they also do the stupidest things like drafting Bagley over Luka, just letting Bogdon walk for nothing, get rid of good coaches and keep around awful ones. Their players always seem to have spats with each other…they are like the McD era suns but for 15 years.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:54 pm
Ya I think Sacramento is the most incompetent franchise in the league…they do good things from time to time like drafting Fox, Haliburton, Mitchell, and Hield… signing Holmes, trading for Barnes, they fleeced us when they traded for Bogdon…but they also do the stupidest things like drafting Bagley over Luka, just letting Bogdon walk for nothing, get rid of good coaches and keep around awful ones. Their players always seem to have spats with each other…they are like the McD era suns but for 15 years.
They traded for Hield.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The Magic might be just as incompetent. The sheer amount of assets Orlando has squandered over the last ~ 10 years is pretty staggering.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:09 pm
Split T wrote:
They traded for Hield.
You’re right, was that part of the Cousins deal?

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

Don't forget that Hield was supposed to be next Stephen Curry! Just like Chriss was supposed to be the next Draymond.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ybkxzs3m

I've never heard rumblings about Ross wanting to be on a winner, so there's not much of a reason for the Magic to make that deal.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:56 pm
The Magic might be just as incompetent. The sheer amount of assets Orlando has squandered over the last ~ 10 years is pretty staggering.
They’re close, but they did have the Dwight Howard era, they've made the playoffs 8 times since Sacramento last made it. Even taking out the Howard era, they've made it twice. I thought they did well in both the Gordon and Vucevic trades last year. They’re draft history isn’t terrible, but for as high as they’ve picked you’d like it to be better. Just never found a star.

2013 Victor Oladipo - broke out after leaving
2014 Aaron Gordon - solid starter, not a star
2015 Mario Hezonja - Bust
2016 Domantas Sabonis - traded on draft night for Ibaka
2017 Jonathan Isaac - Really good, just always hurt
2018 Mo Bamba - not good
2019 Chuma Okeke - verdict still out
2020 Cole Anthony - Having a real nice sophomore year
2021 Jalen Suggs and Franz Wagner - I like this draft, TBD

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:27 pm

I've never heard rumblings about Ross wanting to be on a winner, so there's not much of a reason for the Magic to make that deal.
Ross would be interesting, he’d give us that explosive scoring punch off the bench. We wouldn’t be giving up anything of significance here so he’d be the guy you throw in and see if he catches fire. Ride him if he’s hot and just sit him if he’s not. Not sure he’d have a playoff role if we’re all healthy, but he’d give us another look if Shamet is struggling.

Split T

Post by Split T »

This is exactly how I feel. Give up the picks, go solidify this roster and win a title.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:32 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:27 pm

Ross would be interesting, he’d give us that explosive scoring punch off the bench. We wouldn’t be giving up anything of significance here so he’d be the guy you throw in and see if he catches fire. Ride him if he’s hot and just sit him if he’s not. Not sure he’d have a playoff role if we’re all healthy, but he’d give us another look if Shamet is struggling.
Ross is who I thought Shamet would be. I'd prefer to swap the two and add a big wing like Batum, but I doubt Shamet is going anywhere soon.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I would do it, I have a feeling Clippers won’t deal with us though, even if they’re looking to move Batum

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:16 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:09 pm
Split T wrote:
They traded for Hield.
You’re right, was that part of the Cousins deal?
Yup:

On February 20, 2017, Hield was traded, along with Tyreke Evans, Langston Galloway and 2017 first-round and second-round draft picks, to the Sacramento Kings for DeMarcus Cousins and Omri Casspi.

I forget who it was in the King's org that was absolutely in love with Buddy. Either the owner or Vlade at the time.
"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

It was Ranaldive who said that Buddy was the next Steph, and that they were going to build their own version of the Warriors. IIRC Ranaldive was a minority owner of the Warriors before moving to the Kings.

I've given this trade deadline a lot of thought and have kicked around many names in my mind in the process. What I keep getting back to is the chemistry issue. I agree that we shouldn't overthink the value of future assets when we have as good an opportunity as ever to contend for that elusive championship. On the other hand, maybe the biggest advantage this team has that isn't oft talked about is the flawless chemistry. Every player we've added over the past two seasons seems to at least be a plus in that category, and getting players that require multiple firsts in the middle of the season will possibly jeopardize the rotation we currently have. In that regard, I'm more willing to pony up to get Batum than Gordon, as I don't want to move Payne.

I still think that we are undervaluing Shamet's contributions on the defensive end. I am not in a hurry to get rid of him.

As players, I like Nance over Thad, but taking into consideration where they are at in their respective careers, Thad might fit more seamlessly into our existing rotation. Crowder and Cam have both proved that they should get meaningful rotation minutes at the 4, and there probably isn't more than 12 minutes available for any four we bring in, given the recent addition of Biyombo.

I am moderately intrigued by Schroeder if he doesn't stink up the locker room. He can come in behind Payne and spell CP3. I really hope we can bring CP3's minutes down to 30 or so, or even 28.

Split T

Post by Split T »

FWIW, it is possible to get Gordon without giving up Payne or Shamet…also Gordon played for Monty in New Orleans and played with CP3 in Houston(they were also traded for each other when CP3 went to LA). Also Gordon did sign an offer sheet with the Suns once upon a time as well, even if New Orleans eventually matched it. He’s my top target, though adding another wing/small ball 5 like Batum/Williams/Craig would still be on my list.

Split T

Post by Split T »

It’s gonna happen, everyone jump on board!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I just like that CP3 is watching three games at once!
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:10 pm
I just like that CP3 is watching three games at once!
That's the only takeaway from that photo, but it's fun to imagine.