2022 Trade Deadline Talk

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
specialsauce

Re: 2022 Trade Deadline Talk

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:28 am
specialsauce wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:43 am
carey wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:27 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:18 pm
I'll admit I was wrong in thinking Shamet would perform better than he has so far, but com'on, he's not a disaster on the court.
I'm bummed that his shot isn't falling but he's been way better than Elf.
Never did I think I’d miss Jevon, but I also never expected that they would replace him with someone WORSE. this is awful. Shame on James Jones for being complacent in the off-season
They didn't replace Jevon with Elfrid. They replaced Jevon with Shamet. Elf replaced the combo of Galloway/Moore as the last guards off the bench.
Semantics.

We ended last year with Carter, gallo, moore and Payne.

We started this year with Elf, Shamet and Payne.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:35 pm
ShelC wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:25 pm
I can't believe Haliburton was traded. I get wanting to move Hield's money but Hali should've been part of a future backcourt. Kangz going all in on a Fox and Sabonis combo?
Wasn't there talk at draft time about Haliburton working to make sure he was drafted by Sac as his favorite around where he was supposed to be taken?
Yes, rumor was he told teams not to draft him. No guarantee that meant he wanted Sacramento though. It’s possible Sacramento just drafted him anyways because he was there. I can’t imagine Sacramento being a place he wanted to go. I could see Boston at 14 being his ultimate target. Rumor was Boston was trying to trade up for him as well.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:45 pm
Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
carey wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:18 pm
I'll admit I was wrong in thinking Shamet would perform better than he has so far, but com'on, he's not a disaster on the court.
Never did I think I’d miss Jevon, but I also never expected that they would replace him with someone WORSE. this is awful. Shame on James Jones for being complacent in the off-season
They didn't replace Jevon with Elfrid. They replaced Jevon with Shamet. Elf replaced the combo of Galloway/Moore as the last guards off the bench.
Semantics.

Not semantics. You compared two players and said one replaced the other. Even if they weren't traded for each other, Shamet replaced Jevon in the lineup as the 2nd guard off the bench behind Payne. Last year that was Jevon; this year it is Shamet.

Unfortunately we are stuck with Payton--at least he was passable recently.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Indy wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:35 pm
ShelC wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:25 pm
I can't believe Haliburton was traded. I get wanting to move Hield's money but Hali should've been part of a future backcourt. Kangz going all in on a Fox and Sabonis combo?
Wasn't there talk at draft time about Haliburton working to make sure he was drafted by Sac as his favorite around where he was supposed to be taken?
I believe that is true and that he knew what he signed up for
Or well so he thought

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:07 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:45 pm
Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
carey wrote:

Semantics.

Not semantics. You compared two players and said one replaced the other. Even if they weren't traded for each other, Shamet replaced Jevon in the lineup as the 2nd guard off the bench behind Payne. Last year that was Jevon; this year it is Shamet.

Unfortunately we are stuck with Payton--at least he was passable recently.
Semantics.

If Jevon were on the team right now he’d likely be running point, however ineffectively.

Indy

Post by Indy »

he hardly played point for us. He played off-guard (at least on offense). He was usually on the court with Payne or Paul.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I wish I could bet on Portland having a different coach and Lillard being on a different team in 12 months. They had to move CJ if they're committed to building around Dame, but they're clearly prioritizing the cap over roster building at this point. More evidence they're operating in the dark if they think they can do both at the same time.

Did David Griffin make a good trade for the Pels? Good for him. It doesn't make up for totally screwing up Lonzo Ball's situation. Once again they're treading water with inflated expectations cowering in fear of the next superstar to leave town.

I get that it's much harder to move Fox given his contract, but I don't think Sabonis is enough of a return for Haliburton. Not to mention they also got a guy who can't even play home games. Jeremy Lamb is whatever, I think there's a pretty good chance he's bought out.

The Pacers put on a masterclass on how to get value for their best player. I'm curious if Hield's corpse will be reanimated now that he's out of Sacramento. Now they just need to figure out a way to get off of their Brogon extension mistake, which won't be easy. Brogdon is really good when healthy, but the problem is that he can't stay healthy. I think that's going to make fitting him with Haliburton more difficult than it seems on paper.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:49 pm
he hardly played point for us. He played off-guard (at least on offense). He was usually on the court with Payne or Paul.
Yep, he was horrible at point for us. He was much better as a 2 guard.

And I can't believe any of you really thought a Sabonis for Ayton swap was ever plausible. Come on.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:11 pm
Indy wrote:
Yep, he was horrible at point for us. He was much better as a 2 guard.

And I can't believe any of you really thought a Sabonis for Ayton swap was ever plausible. Come on.
FLEX!

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Would Hield be worth chasing? Salaray is high...he's not Haliburton...but...just wondering...

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Live footage of you right now:

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/ne ... 35/135.png

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

Sacramento King's need new ownership AND management. Haliburton was committed and they still traded him.
Phoenix Suns 2024-25 NBA Champions !

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:47 pm
Indy wrote:

when you are wrong, you're wrong. and you double down. lol

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

specialsauce wrote:
Indy wrote:

You may want to take a look at Jevon's numbers this year.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

There's a chance we don't make a trade and some decent pieces (Thad, Gary Harris, etc) become available on the buyout market. It then becomes a question of whether we're willing to waive some of James'/Monty's faves in Frank, Dooly and maybe even Elfrid.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:52 pm
There's a chance we don't make a trade and some decent pieces (Thad, Gary Harris, etc) become available on the buyout market. It then becomes a question of whether we're willing to waive some of James'/Monty's faves in Frank, Dooly and maybe even Elfrid.
I’d have no problem waiving Smith and Nader if we don’t make a trade. Nader has proven to be very TJ Warren like with his availability and not even close to his ability. He’s also on a minimum deal that I believe is non guaranteed next year. Smith is an expiring and has no future here. I wouldn’t mind cutting lose Payton either, but we’d have to be bringing in another pg to replace him.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:50 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Indy wrote:
You may want to take a look at Jevon's numbers this year.
He's been AWFUL for them, and yet he still has a positive WS/48 and a VORP above replacement player. I don't get it.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Interesting list of buy out candidates. Biggest one that be a "holy ****" moment is John Wall.

Also, Satoransky is likely to become available, as is Thad Young.

I think the Suns will trade for a 2/3 wing, wait on buy outs to kick the tires on Young and maybe Wall (if he's available, big if).

https://www.spotrac.com/research/nba/nb ... line-1392/

Split T

Post by Split T »

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Wormwood wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:48 am
Interesting list of buy out candidates. Biggest one that be a "holy ****" moment is John Wall.

Also, Satoransky is likely to become available, as is Thad Young.

I think the Suns will trade for a 2/3 wing, wait on buy outs to kick the tires on Young and maybe Wall (if he's available, big if).

https://www.spotrac.com/research/nba/nb ... line-1392/
How crazy would that be? Wall accepting a min contract to try to win a championship with us? I feel like crazier things have happened.