2022 Trade Deadline Talk

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: 2022 Trade Deadline Talk

Post by ShelC »

Split T

Post by Split T »

I would’ve taken NAW…why didn’t Portland want him?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I find that a little weird also.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:22 pm
I find that a little weird also.
This is one of the weirdest trade deadlines I can remember across the league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The Portland fire sale continues.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I like NAW as a talent but he's for sure inconsistent right now
Speaking specifically to potential opponents, this doesn't really bother me especially as they were also in the EG rumours
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:41 pm
Let's trade Jalen Smith for Lillard!

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

I wouldn’t trade Maxey for Harden either. Maxey is a rising stud and is significantly younger and cheaper than Harden. I’m not sure there’s a whole lot left in Harden. Simmons/Curry should be enough to get the trade done.

Edit: Didn’t realize the 2nd tweet said Thybulle…ya I’d include Thybulle in a trade for Harden.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:48 pm
I wouldn’t trade Maxey for Harden either. Maxey is a rising stud and is significantly younger and cheaper than Harden. I’m not sure there’s a whole lot left in Harden. Simmons/Curry should be enough to get the trade done.
They are looking to win a championship this season. They see themselves as good as anyone in the East, and think Harden puts them over the top. If you really believe that, you go all in and make a move, next year be damned.

Not the same level, but you are advocating for that for the Suns even though Gordon would blow up our cap next year and make it hard to sign Cam/Ayton. (I realize there are some sneaky things we can do to still free up enough space to sign them, but they are risky and not extremely likely)

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:51 pm
Split T wrote:
They are looking to win a championship this season. They see themselves as good as anyone in the East, and think Harden puts them over the top. If you really believe that, you go all in and make a move, next year be damned.

Not the same level, but you are advocating for that for the Suns even though Gordon would blow up our cap next year and make it hard to sign Cam/Ayton. (I realize there are some sneaky things we can do to still free up enough space to sign them, but they are risky and not extremely likely)
I get that, I guess I’m not sure Harden does put them over the top. It’s not necessarily the money that would scare me, it’s the talent exchange. Simmons and Maxey is a massive haul to me for Harden. That’s way more than Brooklyn gave up to get him. Jarrett Allen was the only valuable piece in that deal and he wasn’t as good as he is now.

Harden is causing problems and can just walk in the offseason. I just wouldn’t move Maxey. If Harden was 2 years ago Harden, then sure, but he’s not an mvp level player anymore, he’s definitely dropped a tier.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Maxey is 21 and putting up 17/4/5 on 47/40/87 splits. He’s much better defensively than Harden too.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:45 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:41 pm
Let's trade Jalen Smith for Lillard!
With a $40M salary, it would be a stretch...but if he were willing to take a hit ..say $30M + 1 year extension...a fleet of scrubs that would create faster cap space + 3? firsts? This team with Lilliard as backup point/ SG...that'd be amazing...dream yes...but amazing...

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:58 pm
Indy wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:51 pm
Split T wrote:

I get that, I guess I’m not sure Harden does put them over the top. It’s not necessarily the money that would scare me, it’s the talent exchange. Simmons and Maxey is a massive haul to me for Harden. That’s way more than Brooklyn gave up to get him. Jarrett Allen was the only valuable piece in that deal and he wasn’t as good as he is now.

Harden is causing problems and can just walk in the offseason. I just wouldn’t move Maxey. If Harden was 2 years ago Harden, then sure, but he’s not an mvp level player anymore, he’s definitely dropped a tier.
Yes, but simmons is currently a negative for Philly. He won't play there. It is addition by subtraction for them, and the longer they wait, the more they lose.

And Harden dropped a tier from MVP and a top 3 offensive player in the league. How much of that drop is him not being where he wants to be? I don't know. Maybe he stays a top 10 offensive player that can take over a game all by himself. Maybe he drops even further. But I think Philly/Morey thinks he helps them get closer to a ring this season.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think Simmons is a major piece for Brooklyn though. He’s pretty perfect for them honestly. If I’m Brooklyn of course I want Maxey/Simmons for Harden. I’d do that if Harden didn’t want out, but I’d also take Simmons/Curry at this point.

Harden is like Booker level to me at this point. Probably lower as I certainly wouldn’t trade Booker for Harden. I think Maxey could be better than Harden as early as 2023. That’s just too much value for me. Now if you think Harden pushes you over the top and Brooklyn absolutely won’t do the trade without Maxey, ya I see why you’d do it, but Philly has shown they aren’t dead set on maximizing their roster this year. I can’t see them giving up Maxey and Simmons and I actually agree with them for once. I’ve generally disagreed with how they’ve handled the whole Simmons stuff.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Your logic is sound. I am just not sure Morey is on the same page.

Split T

Post by Split T »

We’ll see…this certainly has been one of the more interesting trade deadlines, feels like lately nothing happens at the deadline.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'm glad most teams are still trying to get better at the deadline as opposed to half the league just trying to dump salary. I think the play-in tournament and flattened draft lottery odds have worked in this regard.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'm having a hard time seeing how the Jazz can make the numbers work unless they're putting Jordan Clarkson in the deal, but I don't really see the point of that move other than just making a change for the sake of change.

Maybe it was just an Ingles related deal and that's clearly off now that he's going to Portland. Might've been a better deal for them since they likely need rotation players more than another shooter to backup Mitchell.

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think it was all before the Ingles deal…I don’t know if it’s wishful thinking, but I’m starting to think Gordon is ours if we want him and all these leaks(Houston saying they have a late 1st on the table, Jazz interest, etc) are from Houston trying to get us to offer up a 1st. I saw a report saying we are reluctant to include one for him. Who else could trade for him? Denver? Do they have contracts?