Suns News: Week 18 (2/14 - 2/20)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Suns News: Week 18 (2/14 - 2/20)

Post by Superbone »

Last Week's Games

@ Bulls WIN! 127-124
@ 76ers WIN! 114-109
vs. Bucks WIN! 131-107
vs. Magic WIN! 132-105

This Week's Games

Tuesday, Feb. 15th vs. Clippers TNT 10:00 PM EST
Wednesday, Feb. 16th vs. Rockets BSAZ 9:00 PM EST

Suns Stories

Short week this week due to the upcoming all-star break. Once again the team gets snubbed even though we've got the best record in the league. We've got our two reserves in Book and Paul but no others like Cam Johnson in the three point contest. Oh, well. It's just a popularity contest and we're here to win it all. Congrats to Book for his first time making the all-star team without being named as an injury replacement.

Center of the Sun: League leading Suns get even stronger with midseason roster additions
https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2022 ... itions-nba

NBA Power Rankings: Where Each Team Stands Post–Trade Deadline
https://www.si.com/nba/2022/02/14/nba-p ... ets-sixers

1. Phoenix Suns
Current record: 46–10

Previous ranking: 1

The Suns made a couple of sneaky good moves at the deadline in acquiring Torrey Craig from the Pacers and Aaron Holiday from the Wizards. While holding the best record in the league, Phoenix has shown it has the goods to make another run to the NBA Finals. The team’s depth was on full display in a 4–0 week for the Suns, including a big win over the Bucks in a Finals rematch. Phoenix continues to quietly sharpen its 4.5-game lead atop the Western Conference with its dominant play.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Re: Suns News: Week 18 (2/14 - 2/20)

Post by AmareIsGod »

Weird Sarver article considering where the article exists and the timing. Almost like some well-paid PR. The article doesn't make any mention of his current situation and the investigation.

Phoenix Suns Owner Sarver Has Long History of Supporting Diversity and Inclusion
https://blackpressusa.com/phoenix-suns- ... inclusion/
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

More than one day off between Suns games means I don't know what to do with myself. I suppose it's not the worst thing in the world since most of the team was probably having a good time at the Super Bowl.

I might have to find a new hobby for a week during the coming All-Star break.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:06 pm
More than one day off between Suns games means I don't know what to do with myself. I suppose it's not the worst thing in the world since most of the team was probably having a good time at the Super Bowl.

I might have to find a new hobby for a week during the coming All-Star break.
You think this is bad. Wait until Thursday when we have to wait a full week for Suns basketball. Talk about withdrawal.

Luckily I have a lot of great shows to watch and great video games to play. New Horizon Zero Dawn this week and I still haven't finished the last one! Not to mention, I'm really digging Sifu right now.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:53 pm
Weird Sarver article considering where the article exists and the timing. Almost like some well-paid PR. The article doesn't make any mention of his current situation and the investigation.

Phoenix Suns Owner Sarver Has Long History of Supporting Diversity and Inclusion
https://blackpressusa.com/phoenix-suns- ... inclusion/
Looks like it was published 2 months ago. December 6th. That was after the allegations, right?

"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I do wonder if his shot is going to come back any time soon. Any even slight type of discomfort in his wrist can make his shot erratic.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:10 am
I do wonder if his shot is going to come back any time soon. Any even slight type of discomfort in his wrist can make his shot erratic.
He's had a lot of 1-for-7 3-point shooting nights lately. I love Jae and hope he gets right and that his shot comes back soon. Luckily we're so awash in talent right now that we can withstand an injury-related shooting slump by one of our starters.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:42 am
In2ition wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:10 am
He's had a lot of 1-for-7 3-point shooting nights lately. I love Jae and hope he gets right and that his shot comes back soon. Luckily we're so awash in talent right now that we can withstand an injury-related shooting slump by one of our starters.
True. You just don't want it to last into the playoffs, imo.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

It is lasting longer than most, but it feels like Jae goes through several shooting slumps throughout the season/playoffs, then has a week where he shoots 18 for 30.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I’m waffling a little on how we should approach the buyout market. If we could get Gary Harris and drop Elf, that’s a clear upgrade.

Lately, however, Monty has been tinkering with some 3-wing lineups (with a PG and a C) that make Cam or Mikal the nominal 2. I think those lineups deserve to be explored further because of their potential and if we add someone like Harris we’re going to be forced to play him or Landry as Booker’s backups at all times. The “Wingstop” lineups are also a way to get Cam some more minutes.

I don’t know. Harris would be a great luxury to have, but I don’t think he signs here without a clear role. There’s also something to be said about not having 13 guys with playing time expectations.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:28 pm
I’m waffling a little on how we should approach the buyout market. If we could get Gary Harris and drop Elf, that’s a clear upgrade.

Lately, however, Monty has been tinkering with some 3-wing lineups (with a PG and a C) that make Cam or Mikal the nominal 2. I think those lineups deserve to be explored further because of their potential and if we add someone like Harris we’re going to be forced to play him or Landry as Booker’s backups at all times. The “Wingstop” lineups are also a way to get Cam some more minutes.

I don’t know. Harris would be a great luxury to have, but I don’t think he signs here without a clear role. There’s also something to be said about not having 13 guys with playing time expectations.
I saw somebody on Suns Twitter call this the "Wing Stop" lineup, LOL.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Well obviously know arguments from me there
Even with Cam P healthy I always would wonder why Monty preferred to always go two PGs instead of 3 SFs, yea that favours the Twins but I biased to bigger, more length lineups I'm general.

I know at first it was because many teams were picking up CP3 full court so Cam P was the additional ball handler to relieve pressure but yea. More exploration of the Wingstop lineup can only be a good thing
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Hey, SpecialSauce, when are you going to create a "Thank you Abdel Nader" thread?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Nice article on Mikal ahead of the rankings. Glad he's getting the recognition!
2. Mikal Bridges, Phoenix Suns
Last month’s Ladder: N/A

The pesky Phoenix wing started paying attention well before the Suns made him the No. 10 overall pick in the 2018 Draft. “I always watched Tony Allen,” Bridges said of defensive role models. “I loved watching him when he was on the Grizzlies. And I was a big [Rajon] Rondo fan, man. The things he did on defense and his IQ, reading and knowing other people’s plays.” Does Bridges try to rattle his opponents’ mental game as well as their scoring? “Not really. I’m just so zoned in, so locked in. And I’ve got so many good teammates, man, it makes my job so much easier. Just getting help and knowing to switch and communicating.”

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:32 pm
Shabazz wrote:

I saw somebody on Suns Twitter call this the "Wing Stop" lineup, LOL.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:55 pm

Nice article on Mikal ahead of the rankings. Glad he's getting the recognition!
2. Mikal Bridges, Phoenix Suns
Last month’s Ladder: N/A

The pesky Phoenix wing started paying attention well before the Suns made him the No. 10 overall pick in the 2018 Draft. “I always watched Tony Allen,” Bridges said of defensive role models. “I loved watching him when he was on the Grizzlies. And I was a big [Rajon] Rondo fan, man. The things he did on defense and his IQ, reading and knowing other people’s plays.” Does Bridges try to rattle his opponents’ mental game as well as their scoring? “Not really. I’m just so zoned in, so locked in. And I’ve got so many good teammates, man, it makes my job so much easier. Just getting help and knowing to switch and communicating.”
No way he wins, but it is great to see him getting his due.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shabazz wrote:

I’d guess we don’t do anything. I’d like Harris, but my guess is he goes somewhere where he’ll have a more set role as well. If Frank’s not coming back this year, we could waive him. Someone who can play 2-3 is what I’d be after.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

My bet is on the Suns signing no one. From a player's perspective, there's not much of the minutes pie left to take and I'm sure they would all like to guarantee a chance to play over anything else as it gives them a platform for negotiating their next contract this summer.

The Suns would also have to cut someone to make room. The obvious choice is probably Frank, but I doubt they'd do it for just any warm body. I also think they like Wainright's presence and Payton is too close with Monty and Paul to be at risk of being cut.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Cutting someone like Elf or Frank sounds harsh, but they still get their full salary and if it’s done before 3/1, they can sign with another team and be playoff-eligible.

I tend to agree with you guys, though, that they won’t pick anyone up. I could see them cutting Frank to convert Ish to a Hinkie-special deal (4-year minimum with 3 team options), especially if Frank doesn’t seem like he’ll get healthy.