Around the League: Week 18 (2/14 - 2/20)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Around the League: Week 18 (2/14 - 2/20)

Post by In2ition »

It feels like you have to build the team entirely around Luka, kind of like you had to build a team entirely around Allen Iverson. If you build a team where he has to share the spotlight, it might be tough and you may have friction, imo.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Well I can't psychoanalyse that situation and if that's the case fair enough
I trying not to sound like Ole man Chuck with his "Hey man, I don't understand how you allow one guy to beat you" analysis lol

As they say, it's either you single cover with multiple defenders taking turns to try fatigue him and he scores a bunch on high volume you live with that
But you can't have him score 40 plus get double digit assists too. I will have to say credit to him ATM but I just don't see it being sustainable against quality teams
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Hmmm
Forgot about him but interesting take
He is right, don't hear ppl asking for Culver to get a chance. I don't even know where he is right now :shock:

Split T

Post by Split T »

Culver is on the grizzlies…

Difference is Reddish was a top high school recruit so he’s been in the spotlight more…easier to stay in the spotlight.

Also Reddish flashes potential a lot. He's a top level athlete with a smooth handle and smooth looking shot. So he’s capable of making highlight reel plays. Those guys always tantalize with their potential.

I don’t want to claim to know a lot about Culver, but he’s kind of got a boring game. Billed as a do it all wing, good at everything, great at nothing. Just nothing has popped at the nba level. Not a good enough scorer/playmaker to play on ball and not a good enough shooter to play off ball.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Split T wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:15 am
Culver is on the grizzlies…

Difference is Reddish was a top high school recruit so he’s been in the spotlight more…easier to stay in the spotlight.

Also Reddish flashes potential a lot. He's a top level athlete with a smooth handle and smooth looking shot. So he’s capable of making highlight reel plays. Those guys always tantalize with their potential.

I don’t want to claim to know a lot about Culver, but he’s kind of got a boring game. Billed as a do it all wing, good at everything, great at nothing. Just nothing has popped at the nba level. Not a good enough scorer/playmaker to play on ball and not a good enough shooter to play off ball.
Fair enough
Well I only saw one game in the Tourney and then when we made our choice draft night I have not paid attention to him

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:59 am
It feels like you have to build the team entirely around Luka, kind of like you had to build a team entirely around Allen Iverson. If you build a team where he has to share the spotlight, it might be tough and you may have friction, imo.
Imagine Luka and Harden playing together... Who demands a trade first?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:24 am
In2ition wrote:
That would be hilarious. They might kill each other on the court.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I just saw this image and was like Oh it's cool then went waaaitt a minute !!
Was getting mad at Bleacher Report smh lol then realized it's not their fault, they just put the voted starters
Tsk Tsk

dragickingdom

Post by dragickingdom »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:26 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
In2ition wrote:
I actually think they would tare a hole in the space time continuem and a black hole would appear and swallow them up...I know many think we screwed up on drafting Ayton over Luka, but I don't think he would have made this team better regardless of how good his stats are. I thought the same thing with some talking heads years ago thought we should mortgage the farm and go all in for Westbrook.
I don't think this would be a better team with Luka or Tra over Ayton. Both are great players in their own right. Just my .02.

Split T

Post by Split T »

You just don’t know what we’d be right now had we made that decision.

Would we still have drafted Mikal? Would we have kept Igor around and missed out on Monty? I think there’s no chance we bring in CP3.

Luka is no question a better player than Ayton, but a lot of the stuff that makes our current team great would’ve never happened had we drafted Luka.

If my choice is our current team or Booker/Luka and a lot of mystery? Give me our current team. The only hesitation is Booker is really the exact type of guy you want next to Luka. A star who doesn’t need the ball.

dragickingdom

Post by dragickingdom »

Split T wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:00 pm
You just don’t know what we’d be right now had we made that decision.

Would we still have drafted Mikal? Would we have kept Igor around and missed out on Monty? I think there’s no chance we bring in CP3.

Luka is no question a better player than Ayton, but a lot of the stuff that makes our current team great would’ve never happened had we drafted Luka.

If my choice is our current team or Booker/Luka and a lot of mystery? Give me our current team. The only hesitation is Booker is really the exact type of guy you want next to Luka. A star who doesn’t need the ball.
I don't see Booker growing the same way next to Luka and if he gets too much attention, would Luka have asked out of being here? CP3 walks a great thin line of not needing to be the considered the best player on the
team. Luka is not the same and I don't see him co-existing next to another star even if they do not need the ball in their hands.

So I think your choice is this team or Luka and who he allows you to have around him.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:00 pm
Are you sure? I don't know if Booker and Luka would be great together. I think Luka's usage is just too high to get the most out of a guy like Booker; I think Book would be marginalized and turned into a glorified spot-up shooter. CP3 is really good about being willing to let Book run the offense some of the time and CP3 always looks for the open man, unlike Mr. Doncic. I think the ideal person next to Luka would be somebody like Lu Dort, who won't be mad about touches or usage and also plays exceptional defense to cover for any Luka deficiencies on that end.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Hmm, yes Luka would have to adjust a bit, but Booker doesn’t initiate the offense all that much with CP3 on the court. Sure if Luka is unwilling to ever share the ball, then yes you just want shooters and defenders, but if you want to have the best team, you want someone who can also create shots. Having two shot creators just makes an offense much harder to scheme against.

Also I think Book would’ve developed similarly. Remember he played two years developing the on ball stuff before Luka ever even got to the nba.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

dragickingdom wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:51 pm
In2ition wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:26 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
In2ition wrote:
I actually think they would tare a hole in the space time continuem and a black hole would appear and swallow them up...I know many think we screwed up on drafting Ayton over Luka, but I don't think he would have made this team better regardless of how good his stats are. I thought the same thing with some talking heads years ago thought we should mortgage the farm and go all in for Westbrook.
I don't think this would be a better team with Luka or Tra over Ayton. Both are great players in their own right. Just my .02.
I'd like to see the results in that parallel universe but yeah, I like how it turned out for us.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Never heard this much straight laughter on air. Lol.

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

^ Savage, LMAO

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

One of the few times I can recall wanting Klutch to get their way. The Lakers giving up a future first round pick to acquire John Wall would've been amazing.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:10 pm
One of the few times I can recall wanting Klutch to get their way. The Lakers giving up a future first round pick to acquire John Wall would've been amazing.
That's such a bad trade for the Lakers. Westbrook is deeply flawed, but he can still put up huge numbers, and he HAS had some games where he undoubtedly helped the Lakers win. I don't think Wall was ever as good as Westbrook at his peak, and I don't know that he has much left in the tank now. The idea that the Lakers would have to be the ones throwing in a pick into that deal is preposterous.

Split T

Post by Split T »

The question is fit though. Sure Westbrook is probably better at being Westbrook than wall, but wall is a better shooter and defender, better playmaker too. Well I should say he used to be better at those things. No clue what he’s got left.