Suns 2022 Off-Season Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Shabazz

Re: Suns Off-Season Thread

Post by Shabazz »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:53 am
Shabazz wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:40 am
My preference remains figuring out a way to keep him. However, I'd be OK with letting him go for a package that replaces 80% of what he gives us and augments us somewhere else, like Collins/Okongwu or WCJ/Cole Anthony/Isaac* (I'm not giving up! Watch defensive highlights of the dude and Imagine him with Mikal) for Ayton/Craig/Saric or Shamet (whatever is cap legal).

Trading him for table scraps (Nurkic+) is not palatable to me.

Letting him walk for nothing would be justification for leaving the fanbase until Sarver sells, IMO.

*Note on Isaac's contract, per Spotrac:
Due to missing entire 2021-22 season (in addition to missing >= 25 games), salaries for 2022-23, 2023-24 and 2024-25 become partial or non-guaranted:
2022-23: $16,000,000 guaranteed
2023-24: $7,400,000 guaranteed
2024-25: non-guaranteed

That's way more palatable to me
I think you would have to get rid of CP to bring in Isaac.
For political reasons?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yeah. When you look at everything Paul does for the community/HBCs/social justice, it would kind of ruin it all with Isaac on the team.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:48 am
Very interesting. Total Monty hire. Great artist.
https://andscape.com/features/patrick-m ... ink-he-is/

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Since you're probably wondering, I just googled it and found that Patrick Mutombo has no relation to Dikembe Mutombo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Mutombo

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Mutombo is actually a very common Congolese last name.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:53 am
Shabazz wrote:
My preference remains figuring out a way to keep him. However, I'd be OK with letting him go for a package that replaces 80% of what he gives us and augments us somewhere else, like Collins/Okongwu or WCJ/Cole Anthony/Isaac* (I'm not giving up! Watch defensive highlights of the dude and Imagine him with Mikal) for Ayton/Craig/Saric or Shamet (whatever is cap legal).

Letting him walk for nothing would be justification for leaving the fanbase until Sarver sells, IMO.

Due to missing entire 2021-22 season (in addition to missing >= 25 games), salaries for 2022-23, 2023-24 and 2024-25 become partial or non-guaranted:

I think you have to get rid of CP.
Finally an Indy post I can agree with!

Indy

Post by Indy »

uh oh, now I know I said something wrong. :P

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

sunset rubdown wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:26 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:36 pm
If I had to bet on any single player being the major "replacement" for Ayton it would be Jerami Grant.

His contract is in the ballpark of what the Suns could get in a sign-and-trade, so that covers the feasibility of the transaction.

He provides a lot of the supplementary ball handling and offensive production the Suns are looking for while still being very good defensively. I don't think there's any question if he'd fit into Monty's system.

I think the Suns could play a Grant and Johnson front court for stretches every night and it could become a really good playoff pairing against certain opponents.

His contract expiring after the 2022-23 season lines up with the start of Cam Johnson's next contract. Of course they would try to keep Grant around if the fit is good, but there seems to be a clear transition after the 2022-23 season if necessary. The Suns will also have the option of getting out of the remainder of Chris Paul's deal if they cut him before 6/28/2023, which I wouldn't be at all surprised if they choose to do it. So there's a pathway to signing a big free agent to pair with Booker in the post-Chris Paul era.

Jerami Grant left Nuggets because he wants to be a top 2 dog on his team and to be paid accordingly after next season. Imho, he is far from being top 2 player on a good playoff team.

I haven't really saw single DA trade proposal which makes us better, short term or long term.
I think this part about Jerami Grant is being overblown right now because he's going into a contract year. He'll want his next deal to be bigger than his current, so what better way to achieve that than to join a team that's going to actually compete in important games?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Shabazz wrote:

Isaac is a hard "no" for me. Vaccine "truther" is a giant red flag, and could end up biting us in the tuchus.

Fultz and WCJ + pick... that could work. It would address the Suns two biggest needs: a replacement at center and a back up at PG.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I completely out on part-time, "it's just basketball" players. They'll never win shit unless carried by 3-4 other players who're actually on the court.

This is the NBA, not some neighborhood pick up game.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShadowHawke

Post by ShadowHawke »

Wormwood wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:27 pm
Shabazz wrote:

Isaac is a hard "no" for me. Vaccine "truther" is a giant red flag, and could end up biting us in the tuchus.

Fultz and WCJ + pick... that could work. It would address the Suns two biggest needs: a replacement at center and a back up at PG.
I thought our biggest need was a big 4 who could play both ends on the perimeter.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Our biggest need is on ball creation, if that guy could also be capable of playing the 4 or 5 defensively, all the better.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Wormwood wrote:
Shabazz wrote:

I think the fact he hasn't played in 2 years is a bigger deal than his religious beliefs.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

ShadowHawke wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:05 pm
Wormwood wrote:
Shabazz wrote:

I thought our biggest need was a big 4 who could play both ends on the perimeter.
Our biggest need is a star to pair next to Booker. If we don’t think DA is it, we better use him and the rest of the assets we have to get one. We don’t have many true assets that other teams would covet other than Mikal, Cam J and DA. We can’t waste DA on a return of role players unless were flipping them get another All Star potential player like Miles Bridges, John Collins, Beal, etc.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I get all of the reasons not to go after him. Obviously we’d need our medical team to sign off. His combination of tools is just so enticing. Incredible defender. Can capably play the 4 or the 5 (look at what Robert Williams is doing and imagine him with a little more juice off the bounce). Can ably cover the Durants, Doncics, and Giannises of the league 1-on-1. Deadly in transition. Pretty good passer (.5). And he wouldn’t be the centerpiece, which would be WCJ. We’d also be giving up a player that hasn’t played in over a year (Saric).

I’m against his politics, but he plays balls out when he’s in the game. I don’t see him as a Kyrie-type.

Anyway, just a thought. Probably has a 0% chance of happening.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:46 am
Since you're probably wondering, I just googled it and found that Patrick Mutombo has no relation to Dikembe Mutombo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Mutombo
AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:06 pm
Mutombo is actually a very common Congolese last name.
Interesting. I just assumed it was his son. Had no idea it was a common last name.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

"Among other things," she wrote, "they excluded me from client dinners, scrutinized my every move, decision, and email with excruciating levels of micromanagement."

"My job has grown more intolerable and toxic than ever," Panagiotakopoulos said.
Deandre can relate.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Indy

Post by Indy »

lol Jeremy

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

:roll: for the Ayton comment, Jeremy.

As this situation relates to Sarver, I'm inclined to believe he'll not be forced to sell the franchise by the NBA.

Maybe this employee is completely in the dark, but if she liked her job outside of the organizational culture stuff that stems from Sarver, wouldn't she be willing to stick around until the NBA announces something?