Deandre Ayton's future with the Suns?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

What do you think Deandre Ayton's immediate future is with the Suns?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:47 am

Suns keep him for the duration of the 2022-2023 season
31%
He's on the roster to start the season but is traded mid-season
8%
Suns trade him before the season starts
62%

Total votes: 26

Shabazz

Re: Deandre Ayton's future with the Suns?

Post by Shabazz »

I don’t want to give up Mikal. That would be a tough pill to swallow.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:09 pm
Indy wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:47 am
JeremyG wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:23 am
Shabazz wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:16 am
There is no way we get KD without Ayton being involved. Sorry, not going to happen. In fact, it likely costs us both Ayton and Mikal (although I'd push hard for it to be Ayton, Cam, filler and picks).
If we had to give up Ayton and Bridges why would KD even want to still come here? That makes us worse than last season, especially when you factor in CP3’s age. If we are the only team on his list, the Nets will accommodate him.

And from the Suns side of things, CP3 and KD are only going to decline each year, while Ayton and Bridges are going to improve each year.
I will take the next two years of KD's career over the next 2 years of ANYONE's career on this current team. The comparison seems so silly.
But where do we end up two years from now? Bridges and DA will be in their primes and we’ll continue to either compete or have tradeable assets. KD, CP3 will be albatross contracts and we’ll be left to start over like Brooklyn is now and LA.

I guess the question becomes will we really go all out to try and win-now.

If the answer is KD on this current roster minus 2/3 of DA, Cam and Mikal- we’re not any better off and in two years we’re worse.

If we get KD, we better pay and go all out getting creative to add some serious talent around CP3 Book and Kd
It's a fine line. If we go for it with KD and don't win a Chip, it's a failure. We'd be back to square one.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:15 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
There is no way we get KD without Ayton being involved. Sorry, not going to happen. In fact, it likely costs us both Ayton and Mikal (although I'd push hard for it to be Ayton, Cam, filler and picks).
If we had to give up Ayton and Bridges why would KD even want to still come here? That makes us worse than last season, especially when you factor in CP3’s age. If we are the only team on his list, the Nets will accommodate him.

And from the Suns side of things, CP3 and KD are only going to decline each year, while Ayton and Bridges are going to improve each year.
I will take the next two years of KD's career over the next 2 years of ANYONE's career on this current team. The comparison seems so silly.
But where do we end up two years from now? Bridges and DA will be in their primes and we’ll continue to either compete or have tradeable assets. KD, CP3 will be albatross contracts and we’ll be left to start over like Brooklyn is now and LA.

If the answer is KD on this current roster minus 2/3 of DA, Cam and Mikal- we’re not any better off and in two years we’re worse.

If we get KD, we better pay and go all out getting creative to add some serious talent around CP3 Book and Kd
It's a fine line. If we go for it with KD and don't win a Chip, it's a failure. We'd be back to square one.
Agreed. But we say all the time that you need to make big moves if you want to win. Of course it is a gamble. But is it anymore of a gamble to hope Ayton takes a leap to become an effective #1/#2 on a great team?

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:38 pm
Superbone wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:15 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

Agreed. But we say all the time that you need to make big moves if you want to win. Of course it is a gamble. But is it anymore of a gamble to hope Ayton takes a leap to become an effective #1/#2 on a great team?
Yes. It is.

This team as constructed is already a few pieces away from contending at a high level. I don’t think it would take another superstar to get us over the top. I think another playmaker added to the mix is all we need with some better complementary pieces than Crowder, Shamet, Payne. We need to be smarter about who we surround Booker and Ayton with. They need to be shooters, and our 4 needs to be a 4 that can dribble and is athletic. Not Jae Crowder.

It’s not a stretch to say that if you added Harrison Barnes and Patty Mills or Gary Trent to our current roster and took away Crowder, Cam Johnson and Landry Shamet that we would be significantly improved.

I think a core of Bridges, Booker and DA with surrounding pieces could get you to at least the semifinals every year and if you’re really smart about your team building we could get back to the finals.

If you half ass the KD arrival and miss, you’ve depleted all your assets and are looking at a rebuild not a retool.

I’m not opposed to KD. I’m opposed to KD being our only addition and losing DA/Bridges/Johnson to get him. That’s a short term L and a huge long term L.

If you’re getting KD you better go all out and really overhaul this roster and spend big money to give it a real chance in the next two seasons.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Shabazz wrote:

We weren't talking about "anyone." We were talking about both Bridges and Ayton. You would take the next 2 years of KD over the next 2 years of both Bridges and Ayton?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:52 pm
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Shabazz wrote:

We weren't talking about "anyone." We were talking about both Bridges and Ayton. You would take the next 2 years of KD over the next 2 years of both Bridges and Ayton?
Do you know who Kevin Durant is? I mean what are we doing here?

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Ya need a new option...

4. New Mascot as Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:04 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:52 pm
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Shabazz wrote:

Do you know who Kevin Durant is? I mean what are we doing here?
Yeah, he's the guy who shot 38.6% in the playoffs this year.

Indy

Post by Indy »

LOL Jeremy. He scored 30 ppg this season with a 63.4% TS%.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Only Detroit and San Antonio have enough cap space to offer DA the max (or anywhere close to it).

So what does that mean for the Spurs? If they offer him the max they can only use vet min players and the MLE this season to complete their roster?

TOO

Post by TOO »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:41 pm
Durant would instantly be the best player in Suns history, he's THAT good.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Indy

Post by Indy »

TOO wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:46 pm
Indy wrote:
But what if Ayton turns a corner and starts being dominant?

TOO

Post by TOO »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:49 pm
TOO wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:46 pm
Indy wrote:
But what if Ayton turns a corner and starts being dominant?
I'll literally eat a hat.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
You're right, I guess regular season is more important than the playoffs.

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:20 pm
You're right, I guess regular season is more important than the playoffs.
In which case we already have the best team in the NBA so we can't go giving half of it away

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That cap space list, didn't Detroit lose some of theirs by absorbing contracts from NYK? Do they still have max cap space?

I was reading some takes online that various teams (primarily DET and SAS) would no longer offer Ayton the max because they had drafted bigs. I don't agree with that reasoning. Some raw ass big man who's going to need 2-3 years to even be worthy of putting in a rotation is going to stop you from pursuing a starting big who might be an All-Star next year? Nah. The guy they drafted will come off the bench. I don't see the two as being in conflict at all. I would still expect one or both of DET and SAS to offer max money to Ayton.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I voted that I think they'll trade him and I'll add to the wild stabs in the dark about what James Jones will do.

Suns - Kevin Durant
Spurs - Deandre Ayton (4yr/$140M-ish)
Hawks - DeJounte Murry, Jae Crowder
Nets - John Collins, (Hawks role player), Cam Johnson, (Suns role player)

I don't know how these teams value draft picks in trades but I'd guess the Suns, and definitely the Hawks, would lose picks. I could see up to 3 picks going to Brooklyn in this kind of deal. The value would probably depend a lot on which role players the Nets requested. I'm not putting Mikal in that group if it wasn't obvious. Atlanta would probably say the same about Hunter and Okongwu.

Looks great for everyone except the Nets, so it's obviously a nuclear option for them. We'll see how desperate they have to get.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:26 am
I voted that I think they'll trade him and I'll add to the wild stabs in the dark about what James Jones will do.

Suns - Kevin Durant

I don't know how these teams value draft picks in trades but I'd guess the Suns, and definitely the Hawks, would lose picks. I could see up to 3 picks going to Brooklyn in this kind of deal. The value would probably depend a lot on which role players the Nets requested. I'm not putting Mikal in that group if it wasn't obvious. Atlanta would probably say the same about Hunter and Okongwu.

Looks great for everyone except the Nets, so it's obviously a nuclear option for them. We'll see how desperate they have to get.
It feels like Kyrie will be playing with LeBron in LA and AD will be in Brooklyn. Wonder what that means for this kind of deal.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:26 am

Suns - Kevin Durant

The Spurs are only allowed to offer him $131 million.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

JJ will be GM of the century if he can pull this off by just sending out Ayton + picks + Expiring contracts. If we can keep Cam J and Bridges, we’d be set.