2014 NBA Draft

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Sunsfan4life

Re: 2014 NBA Draft

Post by Sunsfan4life »

You'd like to see more consistency, especially on the defensive end, but I agree its easy to forget we are dealing with 18 and 19yr olds here. It will be interesting to see how he deals with Wisconsin's size if they are able to get by Michigan which I think they will. Gordon struggled a bit against it.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'm a big fan of LaVine's potential. He has a great solid base of skills that can make him an outstanding pro. He's young, but I think he can be a star.

I can't believe that the Harrison twins have decided to show their face this season.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote: I can't believe that the Harrison twins have decided to show their face this season.
What do you mean?
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I just thought they were incredibly underwhelming this year, even though they were expected to be great. Today, they had a very good game, especially in the second half and if it weren't for their play today, UK would be watching on TV next week.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

We officially get Washington's 2014 pick after tonight's win by the Wizards. Cool.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Superbone wrote:We officially get Washington's 2014 pick after tonight's win by the Wizards. Cool.
Good - now let 'em rest their key guys & give us #15.....

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Just a little review - we're getting three 1st round picks this year (Minny's pussed out and too limp to make any kind of run) & here's where they fall as of this morning:

#14 (ours)
#17 (Washington)
#25 (Indiana)

Of course, if the Grizzlies loose & we win tonight, thanks to the suckhole that is the eastern conference, we jump up to the #21 overall pick, as we'll leapfrog into the 8th seed. And so it'll go, back & forth between #14 & #21 until either we or Memphis clinches #8, I gather.....

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Of course, by some miracle the Suns get into the top 3, they will bump Minnesota down another spot and get their pick too. *** Best Case but unfortunately nearly unrealistic possibility****

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

In2ition wrote:Of course, by some miracle the Suns get into the top 3, they will bump Minnesota down another spot and get their pick too. *** Best Case but unfortunately nearly unrealistic possibility****
To be blunt, we don't have that kind of luck - we just don't. ;)

carey

Post by carey »

SwingMan wrote:To be blunt, we don't have that kind of luck - we just don't. ;)
You never know man!*

*Except with the Suns. You always know.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

It's our time! I can feel it in my bones. It all started with McDonough and then Hornacek. Things are a-changin'! We will get our first championship within the next 10 years.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

That would be so huge if we got the third pick. And yes, I'm just saying the third pick. I'm not greedy. Assuming Wiggins and Parker go 1-2 (and I think they will now that Embiid has the back issue), it would be very interesting to see which way the Suns go.

I would hate to go with ANOTHER big man with health issues (I still think drafting Len was reckless), but Embiid has enough upside that he would still have to be considered. Aside from him, I would choose from Aaron Gordon, Dante Exum, or Noah Vonleh.

sunset rubdown

Post by sunset rubdown »

No love for Julius Randle, INF?

Picking Aaron Gordon with the third pick would be a reach, imho. He is a role player (can be a premier one though) in the pros.

As of now, if we miss out the playoffs, lucked out in the lottery and get the 3. pick, I would take Randle or Vonleh.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I like Randle, I just don't think I could bring myself to draft him over Vonleh. I think Vonleh, when it is all said and done, could be the second best player from this draft.

You're right about Gordon being a role player though.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Unpopular opinion alert: I don't think Aaron Gordon will be a successful NBA player. I like his athleticism and defense, but I just don't see how he fits in. I think there will always be lots of guys who can provide the same skills Gordon does at any given time trying to make it in the NBA.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Gordon has attributes you can't teach, I like his passing and defense especially, but his offense has a long way to go. He'd be a great glue guy/role player next to a guy like Len should he develop. Getting Gordon and a shooter like Hairston or Stauskus would be dynamite IMO.

carey

Post by carey »

I think I've said it before, but now that Simmons basically said the same thing I don't feel so dumb saying it. I think Gordon is Marion 2.0. A guy who's second jump is faster than most people's first. A total freak athletically. Can defend multiple positions. Impact the game in 100 different ways. Not a guy you'll ever wind up regret drafting.*

*Those free throws tho. Bleh.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

sunset rubdown

Post by sunset rubdown »

Gordon reminds me more of Kirilenko. He almost certainly will have a long and productive pro career but star player potential he does not have.

sunset rubdown

Post by sunset rubdown »

Right now, if we don`t move up in the draft and keep all 3 picks I would be pleased with Nik Stauskas, a PF (Capela, Harrell or Payne) and KJ McDaniels.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

I've been a Randle fan most of the year and I think Vonleh could have a nice future here with focus, but I'm kind of leaning towards the elder (23 year old) Adreian Payne and here's why:

This team is ready to go NOW as evidenced this season and Frye has been the weakest link by far among regular rotation players - Frye's main attribute is his ability to draw attention due to his range and, in that sense, he's been vital to team chemistry. Payne, to me, has that with a much higher motor, more versatility (which isn't saying much, I know) and a higher, hungrier motor. And, he's more ready to contribute right away - he can step right in for a hopefully outgoing Frye and not miss a beat, IMO. Should we pass/miss out on Kevin Love, Payne ought to be our guy at 4 going forward.

As it stands with pick positions right now (my bad earlier - Indy's pick is currently #26, not #25), here's my ideal draft:

#14, Suns - Aaron Gordon, who might replace an outgoing P.J. Tucker (I'm beyond the last person who wants to see him leave, but the man's earned a bigger paycheck and I'm not sure we'll have the scratch to take care of him after inking Bledsoe).

#17, Wizards - Adreian Payne, for reasons mentioned above.

#26, Pacers - Willie Cauley-Stein, who's length & mobility on D is absolutely menacing.

Of course, if we land top 3, all bets are off.....