2014 NBA Draft

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: 2014 NBA Draft

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I don't think Aaron Gordon falls to #14, but it would be great if the Suns managed to snag him.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I wouldn't mind getting Aaron Gordon with a late first round pick. But I just don't think he is a lottery guy, that's all I wanted to say. I don't want to sound like a huge hater on him. I'd still rather have him than a lot of guys. Mostly I'd just like to see the Suns try to address the gaping hole at PF that we have right now, either through the draft or (much preferred) by adding Kevin Love.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

SwingMan wrote:I've been a Randle fan most of the year and I think Vonleh could have a nice future here with focus, but I'm kind of leaning towards the elder (23 year old) Adreian Payne and here's why:
Not that it's likely that the Suns will have this choice to make, but are you actually saying you take Payne over Randle and Vonleh?
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Here you go carey:
Jonathan Givony ‏@DraftExpress 1h
Alex Poythress' length and athleticism on full display. When he's dialed in and playing at max intensity he's really a handful on both ends.
Jonathan Givony ‏@DraftExpress 57m
Poythress. Such a tease. Where was this intensity all season?

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

INFORMER wrote:
SwingMan wrote:I've been a Randle fan most of the year and I think Vonleh could have a nice future here with focus, but I'm kind of leaning towards the elder (23 year old) Adreian Payne and here's why:
Not that it's likely that the Suns will have this choice to make, but are you actually saying you take Payne over Randle and Vonleh?
At our current draft position, yes - of course, should we jump up to top 3, we'd be fools not to take Randle, but, unless we're Orlando circa 1993, I doubt that'll happen. ;)

I like Vonleh as well, but I wouldn't take him over Payne for our system & style, especially as high as top 3 - he's too raw for a team on the move. If we were at a less advanced stage as a team, I'd look deeper into taking Vonleh, but, where our team is at, he'll likely vanquish similar to how Archie has this season and that's not fair to him or us. I know, Gordon's similarly young & raw, but I feel what he has to offer will translate better to the NBA and our system.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

And, should we jump to top 3 over Minnesota, we'd have four 1st rounders - oh man, I hope McDonough has his scenarios mapped out. :lol:

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

That's a gross miscalculation on Vonleh. Goodwin was a mediocre freshman guard lacking strength and without a jumpshot; of course he has struggled in his first year. Vonleh has NBA size, length, and athleticism, and he can do two things right away: rebound and finish. Preferring Payne to Vonleh seems like a Mike D'Antoni mistake.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

INFORMER wrote:That's a gross miscalculation on Vonleh. Goodwin was a mediocre freshman guard lacking strength and without a jumpshot; of course he has struggled in his first year. Vonleh has NBA size, length, and athleticism, and he can do two things right away: rebound and finish. Preferring Payne to Vonleh seems like a Mike D'Antoni mistake.
How so? Payne fits the team better and can make an immediate impact with shooting, rebounding & defense, again, stepping in seamlessly for Frye while upgrading at the same time without sacrificing team chemistry - at this point, Vonleh doesn't even have a left hand.

All I'm saying is Vonleh would likely vanquish on the bench or be playing more in the D-league in his first season - not saying Vonleh hasn't any upside, but he's also not ready to contribute immediately, IMO, to a team that's ready to make the next leap now.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

We're not ready to make the leap, and I'd rather not get short-sighted all of a sudden.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Shabazz wrote:We're not ready to make the leap, and I'd rather not get short-sighted all of a sudden.
We're on the cusp of 50 wins and you say we're not ready to make the leap - when is that threshold then, 60-65-70 wins? :lol:

So please, enlighten us Shabazz - what's your gameplan?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Draft the best player with the most upside. Payne doesn't take us to the next level. There isn't a rookie in the draft that does (right away).

Of course this argument is a little pointless, we're not going to be choosing between Payne and Vonleh. Vonleh will be long gone by #14 and I'd be fine taking Payne there if he's the BPA.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Shabazz wrote:Draft the best player with the most upside. Payne doesn't take us to the next level. There isn't a rookie in the draft that does (right away).

Of course this argument is a little pointless, we're not going to be choosing between Payne and Vonleh. Vonleh will be long gone by #14 and I'd be fine taking Payne there if he's the BPA.
Yeah, we have #14, #17 & #26 as of today - I suggested earlier in the thread taking Aaron Gordon at #14, Payne at #17 & Cauley-Stein at #26.

The way Frye's played the last 2/3 of the season, if Payne shows any competence in the same role, IMO, he definitely takes us up a notch.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

What's the opinion on Nick Johnson around here? I really enjoyed watching him play during the regular season, and he was clearly UA's most important player. I was immensely disappointed in his vanishing act for much of the tournament, though. He seems like a legitimate 2nd round sleeper, IMO.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

SwingMan wrote:
Shabazz wrote:Draft the best player with the most upside. Payne doesn't take us to the next level. There isn't a rookie in the draft that does (right away).

Yeah, we have #14, #17 & #26 as of today - I suggested earlier in the thread taking Aaron Gordon at #14, Payne at #17 & Cauley-Stein at #26.

The way Frye's played the last 2/3 of the season, if Payne shows any competence in the same role, IMO, he definitely takes us up a notch.
I don't think there's any chance Gordon is there at #14 either.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I'm just hoping we add a shooter and a rebounding big. We're a good team when Green is clicking so adding another shooter would be huge, and obviously we're soft on the boards so that is needed. Oh K Love, what a fit you'd be.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I'm just hoping we add a shooter and a rebounding big. We're a good team when Green is clicking so adding another shooter would be huge, and obviously we're soft on the boards so that is needed. Oh K Love, what a fit you'd be.
Really, he's the answer to the "how do we make the leap" question.

I've been jonesing for some Love since his rookie year. Make it happen, McD!

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Shabazz wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I'm just hoping we add a shooter and a rebounding big. We're a good team when Green is clicking so adding another shooter would be huge, and obviously we're soft on the boards so that is needed. Oh K Love, what a fit you'd be.
Really, he's the answer to the "how do we make the leap" question.

I've been jonesing for some Love since his rookie year. Make it happen, McD!
K-Love would be downright ridiculously awesome to have on this team, but do any of you guys actually think there is a good chance that we can get him? I just don’t see it. I think there are teams that have better assets than us to get him and teams that he would prefer to be on before even thinking of us. Like the Lakers! :twisted: But seriously, I hope I am just being too pessimistic and irrational here but I just don’t see many scenarios where we can get K-Love.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Wally_West wrote:K-Love would be downright ridiculously awesome to have on this team, but do any of you guys actually think there is a good chance that we can get him? I just don’t see it. I think there are teams that have better assets than us to get him and teams that he would prefer to be on before even thinking of us. Like the Lakers! :twisted: But seriously, I hope I am just being too pessimistic and irrational here but I just don’t see many scenarios where we can get K-Love.
Agreed. K-Love on the Suns is not happening. I can't remember the last time we signed a marquee FA in their prime that didn't already have some prior stint with the club. Once upon a time Phoenix was a desirable place to live for NBA guys, and I think that's declined over the last decade for various reasons.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Flagrant Fowl wrote: I can't remember the last time we signed a marquee FA in their prime that didn't already have some prior stint with the club.
Eric Gordon.

sunset rubdown

Post by sunset rubdown »

I believe the lure of the Phoenix Suns around the league (in our own fans` eyes mostly) is very underrated.

We have a talented and up-and-coming GM, a great, player friendly and knowledgeable coach, tons of flexibility to further improve roster, an entertaining system, a couple of already amazing players (Dragic and Bledsoe), great weather... so I cannot see why any free agent wouldn`t want to play here.