Game Day: 76ers (4-26) @ Suns (18-16), Fri 1/2/15

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
LazarusLong

Re: Game Day: 76ers (4-26) @ Suns (18-16), Fri 1/2/15

Post by LazarusLong »

To lump or include Swing and Misterradiant in a conversation about Cubby by way of comparison is unfathomable. Swing contributed in his own way, and Radiant hosted a number of events, including the Drunken Amateur Hour podcasts.

I was a mod in the early days of suns.net and can speak for experience that Cubby had no redeeming qualities.

A chat room is a lot like a big cocktail party. If your M.O. is to offend and bully, you need to leave the party. That's why Cubby was banned.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

carey

Post by carey »

Nodack wrote:This place and the Suns reminds me of the band Phish and their fans a little bit. There are fans of Phish that follow them everywhere. They go to every concert. There is a fan site like this one where they discuss the band. After every show the fan site is alive with fans talking about the show. The vast majority are people complaining about what the band did wrong or how they played too mellow, wrong songs or too whatever. They are the bands biggest fans and their are the bands worst critics. If you read the posts you would think they hate the band, but they love the band and still go to every show no matter what. It reminds me of this place.
Ugh. I hate Phish and their pretentious fans. I hope we aren't that bad.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

EDC

Post by EDC »

carey wrote: I do not understand why he won't sub defense for offense at the end of games. I'm thinking Evans layup may not have happened had Len been in there.
I agree. It really sucks to give up such an easy layup at that point in the game.
Danimal wrote: I'm also in the camp that wishes they would throw him a few more touches as I find our offense a little predictable. Integrating and developing Len a little would make it all the more formidable. Len isn't a bad passer for a big man either, not like he just wants to chuck it up every time he gets it.
One of the things that impresses me the most about Len is he doesn't seem to get flustered when they throw him the ball in odd situations. Like if he gets it near the top of the key with pressure. He just calmly looks for the good play.
Last edited by EDC on Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:I looked the place up and was accepted and never had to deal with Cubby again except when Sose let him in as a science experiment once. That went predictably wrong in the end.
Just so you're aware, that same science experiment was performed here as well with the very same predictable results. It didn't take long either.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

EDC wrote: One of the things that impresses me the most about Len is he doesn't seem to get flustered when they throw him the ball in odd situations. Like if he gets it near the top of the key with pressure. He just calmly looks for the good play.
Yep, really happy with his composure so far.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

EDC wrote:
carey wrote: I do not understand why he won't sub defense for offense at the end of games. I'm thinking Evans layup may not have happened had Len been in there.
I agree. It really sucks to give up such an easy layup at that point in the game.

I'm a big Hornacek fan, but one other minor thing he's been doing that's been detrimental is leaving Len in for the last minute or so of the 2nd quarter when he's got 2 fouls. It's happened at least 3 times and Len picked up a 3rd foul in all 3. Like most big men, Len's a better player (and we're a better team) when he can play without the burden of foul trouble. There are some easy things coach can do to help him out there.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I find myself wanting timeouts that take too long to come. Also wanted to do away with the three pg lineups but they have worked better recently. Putting Len on the starting five is better, and Miles has performed better lately.

Indy

Post by Indy »

EDC wrote:
Danimal wrote: I'm also in the camp that wishes they would throw him a few more touches as I find our offense a little predictable. Integrating and developing Len a little would make it all the more formidable. Len isn't a bad passer for a big man either, not like he just wants to chuck it up every time he gets it.
One of the things that impresses me the most about Len is he doesn't seem to get flustered when they throw him the ball in odd situations. Like if he gets it near the top of the key with pressure. He just calmly looks for the good play.
This. He doesn't even put his head down before running back up court. He is a true professional out there.

Funny story. Sitting behind me tonight was a kid/guy with special needs. At one point his mom asked him if he is liking the way Len was playing lately. He answered, "I like it. He's playing like a man." I thought that was the perfect way to describe it.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Phoenix219 wrote:None of that at all answers how a single thread, confined to posting there, in the basement, could ever hurt anyone lol..... there literally could be nothing bad about it unless people who hate him had no self control to avoid the thread. there is literally nothing bad it could do to the site. hilarious that mori wanted him here, invited him personally, knew exactly what to expect (some taunting and colorful exchanges were inevitable, and completely tame coming from him, but the absolute norm on spurs talk, where he was sought out.) you guys are hilariously thin skinned and stuck in the past, and absolutely lack the ability to deal with anything that offsets the balance even a little bit. not that this is anything new by any stretch of course. if the site had its way, anyone a bit over the top, like misterradiant on the old site, or others in the present would be banned as well. Hilarious.
I will.

Having him on a single thread, locked in a basement, as a way to show how open minded we are, is wrong. That's no tolerance, is segregation. To have a maniac among us, just to say we can "deal with it" is not respect, is self-indulging.

Under your logic, there would be no prisons, because every person should be allowed to walk away free from their offenses to society. That poor, sad guy, unable ot interact in a healthy way with people, is nothing to be celebrated for, none the less as some sort of example, he is the kind of animals for whom societies were organized for in the first place, to collectively protect their homes (boards) from people that fest on the weak, or the restrained.

Society is about restraining our freedom in order to achieve a bigger goal, ORDER. Too much restrain, and tirany is upon us, but there is a point where too much freedom becomes chaos, so a balance must be found between them. This cubby boy, took his chances to become a member of the .net and pissed on them, because he is not here to belong into our little society, but to cast chaos into it, and somehow feel better because of it. His self steem is tied up to upset people, so he always ends up cursing on anybody. And he needs to feed his compulsion increasingly, therefore the colective taunting. He is so sick, that he accepted your premise of the prison thread, in his mind that empowers him, makes him notorious. A healthy human being would be offended.

So, you speak about building a confined thread for him, but your concept, is more along the lines of a freak show. The really mature and human thing to do, is to keep him away, he is not alone, there is a lot of animals out there in the internet.

This place was build and rebuild, to inject some order in the chaotic world of discussion boards. And of course is still finding it's balance between order and freedom, but we still are a young society.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

So people, this Len guy, tell me more about him...

TOO

Post by TOO »

He's really tall and used to be a gymnast.

SDC

Post by SDC »

At this point Len > Noel, right?

Indy

Post by Indy »

SDC wrote:At this point Len > Noel, right?
More like Len >> Cubby

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Absolutely
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

In2ition wrote:
Absolutely
I think they are too different to radically make a decision at this point. Noel has all the tools to be a terror defensively all the way to the pick and roll. I think he can easily develop a reliable midrange jumpshot and learn to make an impact with garbage stuff. In the post maybe a hook here and there. 10ppg, 10rpg, 2bpg, 1.5spg, for instance, don't grow on trees.

Anyways, I like what I am seeing from Len. Beyond the ability to alter shots and real rebounding, I am stocked that he is real tough, that he doesn't take any crap. Also dig his moves with the ball when he catches a pass in motion. Not only he is powerful, also pretty creative, and has uncharacteristic plasticity for a player of his size. And for the first time I believe a center prospect on the Suns can become an anchor in the paint.

Hornacek needs to make it so he gets to be more involved in the offensive flow (when there is a flow, that's it).

OE32

Post by OE32 »

I was very encouraged by the two jumpers Len hit last night - one a pick-and-pop, one in rhythm real quick from the top of the key. If he nails those reliably, our spacing is going to get even better.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

He is a face to the basket center at the moment, but sooner or later he will have to get the ball in the paint to play one on one. That's an ability we have not had since Boris Diaw.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Len is the most exciting thing we have going on this team right now.

EDC

Post by EDC »

Now if we can only convince coach to let him play more than 15 minutes a game.