2014 NBA Draft

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: 2014 NBA Draft

Post by carey »

sunset rubdown wrote:I believe the lure of the Phoenix Suns around the league (in our own fans` eyes mostly) is very underrated.

We have a talented and up-and-coming GM, a great, player friendly and knowledgeable coach, tons of flexibility to further improve roster, an entertaining system, a couple of already amazing players (Dragic and Bledsoe), great weather... so I cannot see why any free agent wouldn`t want to play here.
It's the stupid "big market" thing that the current generation of players really buys into. In the age of social media and league pass I just don't think you need to play in LA, NY, CHI, etc to rake in the endorsements. Durant plays in Oklahoma for Chris's sake and he's all over t.v.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

INFORMER wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote: I can't remember the last time we signed a marquee FA in their prime that didn't already have some prior stint with the club.
Eric Gordon.
I suppose he barely fits into that category.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
sunset rubdown wrote:I believe the lure of the Phoenix Suns around the league (in our own fans` eyes mostly) is very underrated.

We have a talented and up-and-coming GM, a great, player friendly and knowledgeable coach, tons of flexibility to further improve roster, an entertaining system, a couple of already amazing players (Dragic and Bledsoe), great weather... so I cannot see why any free agent wouldn`t want to play here.
It's the stupid "big market" thing that the current generation of players really buys into. In the age of social media and league pass I just don't think you need to play in LA, NY, CHI, etc to rake in the endorsements. Durant plays in Oklahoma for Chris's sake and he's all over t.v.
Charles Barkley did just fine playing in Phoenix and that was 20 years ago.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I don't think the idea of getting Kevin Love is so out there. We have very solid assets for a trade and if we forgo a big FA signing this summer should have the cap space to make him a max offer in 2015.

Do the Lakers really have that much more to offer? If they want him this summer, they'll have to offer their pick which would leave Love with a broken down Kobe and a bunch of scrubs.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote: I can't remember the last time we signed a marquee FA in their prime that didn't already have some prior stint with the club.
Eric Gordon.
He definitely fits the category. He was a 20 ppg scorer/shooter who was young and played on the Olympic team. He's only faded from the NBA spotlight because injuries have diminished him.

I think we also have to realize that the Suns haven't been under the cap often enough to make a run at big free agents. They've only had max cap room in 1999, 2004, and 2012.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

INFORMER wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Eric Gordon.
He definitely fits the category. He was a 20 ppg scorer/shooter who was young and played on the Olympic team. He's only faded from the NBA spotlight because injuries have diminished him.

I think we also have to realize that the Suns haven't been under the cap often enough to make a run at big free agents. They've only had max cap room in 1999, 2004, and 2012.
Valid points. I just think he was still a tier below where Kevin Love is now. Every team in the league would pay Love the max right now, and I don't think that could've been said about Gordon a few years ago.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Gordon is most certainly a tier below Love, but I thought we were merely talking about "marquee" free agents. I would say there are multiple tiers to what qualifies as marquee. I mean, Kevin Love is at least a tier if not more below Durant and LeBron, but does that disqualify him as marquee?
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't see why Kevin Love would want to go to that horrible Lakers team with no hope, no picks, a broken down Kobe, Pau leaving, Nash retiring, no other identifiable stars, a mediocre coach (sorry Mike D), and a dysfunctional front office. They aren't even close to being the best NBA team in their own city.

carey

Post by carey »

Answer, it's the Lakers (kind of like "I'm Batman.")
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

INFORMER wrote:Gordon is most certainly a tier below Love, but I thought we were merely talking about "marquee" free agents. I would say there are multiple tiers to what qualifies as marquee. I mean, Kevin Love is at least a tier if not more below Durant and LeBron, but does that disqualify him as marquee?
Right. Hmm, I'd say top 5 at your position? But then the SG and C crop is pretty thin. I guess All-Star would suffice.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

First off, I don't know how the Laker's have better assets than the Suns. That one will have to be explained. I guess the supposedly top 5 pick might be the answer. Chicago and NY have better, how? I suppose he could bide his time this next season, but I would think that Minnesota is going to probably try to deal him this summer. I think the Suns have just as much if not more and better assets along with a destination that is better than about anything that any other team could offer.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:What's the opinion on Nick Johnson around here? I really enjoyed watching him play during the regular season, and he was clearly UA's most important player. I was immensely disappointed in his vanishing act for much of the tournament, though. He seems like a legitimate 2nd round sleeper, IMO.
I like Nick Johnson, I just don't think he will be available when the Suns draft in second round, and I don't think he is good enough for the Indy pick. He is athletic, but not tall enough. He is pretty good on his skills, but not really great at anything.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

SwingMan wrote:
Shabazz wrote:Draft the best player with the most upside. Payne doesn't take us to the next level. There isn't a rookie in the draft that does (right away).

Of course this argument is a little pointless, we're not going to be choosing between Payne and Vonleh. Vonleh will be long gone by #14 and I'd be fine taking Payne there if he's the BPA.
Yeah, we have #14, #17 & #26 as of today - I suggested earlier in the thread taking Aaron Gordon at #14, Payne at #17 & Cauley-Stein at #26.

The way Frye's played the last 2/3 of the season, if Payne shows any competence in the same role, IMO, he definitely takes us up a notch.
I like Vonleh way way better than Payne. Payne is good at what he does, shoot and play defense. The thing is that I think he will be exposed in the NBA with things he has a problem doing, make decisions, pass, put the ball on the floor, and he isn't going to be able to bully the NBA guys. I think Vonleh's skill set and bball IQ are already way higher than Payne's and his ceiling is much higher too.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:Unpopular opinion alert: I don't think Aaron Gordon will be a successful NBA player. I like his athleticism and defense, but I just don't see how he fits in. I think there will always be lots of guys who can provide the same skills Gordon does at any given time trying to make it in the NBA.
Gordon can definitely be like Marion. He doesn't have to be "the man" and can impact the game being the 3rd or 4th option. Those type of guys are really rare. There is no way he lasts until #14.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

IMO, Gordon's floor is Boris Diaw. He is a much better athlete then Boris though and you never know about how the NBA will effect a guys work ethic, but I'm banking on him having more of one then Boris wound up having in the middle part of his career.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Sunsfan4life wrote:IMO, Gordon's floor is Boris Diaw. He is a much better athlete then Boris though and you never know about how the NBA will effect a guys work ethic, but I'm banking on him having more of one then Boris wound up having in the middle part of his career.
Hmm, I would have never thought about comparing Gordon to Diaw. It was report a few times over the years that Diaw had the highest vertical on the team, including better than Stoudemire, Marion, and Barbosa. He just never used it. Also, I don't think we'll see Gordon pass up a layup or dunk for a pass to the perimeter. Neither do I think will he have a laissez-faire attitude toward everything, including eating and conditioning.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Well work ethic and bad eating habits aside, I think there are some similar traits. The handles, the work needed on the jumper, the versatility, The play making ability for a big. The Glaring difference is Gordon is a better athlete then Diaw...and lets hope Aaron is more aggressive. Kyle Anderson may be a better comparison to Diaw tbh, but like I said I think Gordon at the worst will be Boris. But I am insanely high on the kid, I have him at 4 and may even take him over Parker.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Is it me or does Adrian Payne just scream San Antonio Spur? haha

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Sunsfan4life wrote:Is it me or does Adrian Payne just scream San Antonio Spur? haha
I agree with this. He's not going to be available to them, unless they move up.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I think Josh Smith is a good comp for Aaron Gordon. Hopefully a Josh Smith that knows his limitations.