Suns News: Week 11 1/5-1/11

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
OE32

Re: Suns News: Week 11 1/5-1/11

Post by OE32 »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
OE32 wrote:One thing I noted in another forum was, trading Tolliver doesn't really enable us to pull off any move we couldn't have otherwise pulled, except for one: trading the Morrises. The poison pill provision will no longer stop a trade because we have the cap space to absorb the difference in salaries. Food for wasted thought.
I don't know if I am following this right. I am starting from the premise that the Suns could have traded the Morrii easily.

Under the provision the Morrii mean 5.5M and 4.5M, that's the cap space/salary the taker needs to use. The Suns, as the team sending out the affected players, are the ones that can only take back their current salary (6M combied), plus whatever cap space of their own they can add. Right now 6M, but before the trade we still were under the cap with Tolliver, just around 4M.

Are those 2M the 'difference in salaries' you point?
I thought the difference was $6M - the difference between $12 (what they're "worth" to the receiver) and $6 (what they're worth to us). But perhaps you understand better than I, as you seem to be averaging their current salaries with their future salaries. Maybe I misunderstand, and the difference is only 2 or 3 million, in which case, yes, I'm wrong.

I got really into learning the provisions of the last CBA and decided not to become so educated with respect to this one - figuring the terms shift around every 7 years or so anyhow, and I'm no GM. :)
INFORMER wrote:
OE32 wrote:At this point, I can't see us trading IT if we're vying for a title.
I don't think they give out a title for winning the 8th seed.
Hey, we're vying here! Just vying! And fwiw, I think we stand a chance against GSW in a 7 game series. It's not nothing!

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think vying for a title would have to mean we are at least in the top 4 or 5 teams capable of winning it this year. I don't think that is the case. I would love to be wrong.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Actually you are right OE32. It's the average of the full five years, 7M for Kieff and 4.6 for Marcus.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

8-)

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Brook Lopez is available and probably attainable with our pieces. Brooklyn fans are really ho hum on him. They say he can't run and would get eaten up in the WC.

One Brooklyn fan suggested IT, Green and Archie. I don't think they are that high on Archie, they are just trying to make the salaries work. They would probably take Randolph instead.

Intereting thought anyway.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

B. Lopez has a smooth offensive game, but his salary and history of injuries are problematic.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

OE32

Post by OE32 »

JCSunsfan wrote:Brook Lopez is available and probably attainable with our pieces. Brooklyn fans are really ho hum on him. They say he can't run and would get eaten up in the WC.

One Brooklyn fan suggested IT, Green and Archie. I don't think they are that high on Archie, they are just trying to make the salaries work. They would probably take Randolph instead.

Intereting thought anyway.
The offer from OKC, aparently, was Perkins, Perry Jones, and Lance Thomas, so we'd be overpaying by more than a little. I don't think Lopez is a particularly good fit for us at this point.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:I think vying for a title would have to mean we are at least in the top 4 or 5 teams capable of winning it this year. I don't think that is the case. I would love to be wrong.
That's what they said about the '75-'76 Suns too. Then they picked up Gar Heard mid-season and the rest is history.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yeah, B. Lopez just never seems to be on the floor. Not really interested in him.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:I think vying for a title would have to mean we are at least in the top 4 or 5 teams capable of winning it this year. I don't think that is the case. I would love to be wrong.
That's what they said about the '75-'76 Suns too. Then they picked up Gar Heard mid-season and the rest is history.
Like I said, I would love to be wrong. But I just can't see us being one back-up PF/C away from being a top 4 team.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Here's a stat they showed on NBATV: Since Alex Len was inserted into the starting lineup the Suns are #1 in the league in defending the post up (.85 PPP allowed) and #5 in the league in defending "close touches" (1.14 PPP allowed). If you check out the NBA TV facebook page (shared by the Suns FB page), they have a nice little feature on Len's interior D.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Shabazz, can you point out where I can find that feature? I'm on their FB page on not seeing a specific post pertaining directly to Alex Len.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Try this:

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Thanks. Interesting statistics. Len is making a difference. Protect the paint big fella!
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:Here's a stat they showed on NBATV: Since Alex Len was inserted into the starting lineup the Suns are #1 in the league in defending the post up (.85 PPP allowed) and #5 in the league in defending "close touches" (1.14 PPP allowed). If you check out the NBA TV facebook page (shared by the Suns FB page), they have a nice little feature on Len's interior D.
Yeah, saw that last night in Bone's (Brent Barry's) preview of tonight's matchup. Very cool.

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I thought this was cool:

Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

carey

Post by carey »

How about number of times he's led the team in turnovers? But he seems to be our barometer much like Frye was. We tend to win when he plays well. Hard to overcome a stinker by him. The game is not up on LP. Usually they do put the NBATv ones up but not this time. Bummer.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

carey wrote:How about number of times he's led the team in turnovers?
I hear that. Him and Markieff run one heck of a bakery.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
carey wrote:How about number of times he's led the team in turnovers?
I hear that. Him and Markieff run one heck of a bakery.
Fair, but Kieff and Goran have the same number of TOs on the year. And I know that Goran is a PG so he handles the ball more, but their usage rates are the same too.

All in all, the TO rate for Markieff is one of the better ones on the team. For the guys that actually play, Miles and Eric are tied for worse, then a big drop to Len and IT, then Goran and Markieff.

And I wouldn't have guessed this, but Marcus is actually the best by far, with Green next.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

INFORMER wrote:I thought this was cool:

Well of course he'll lead us in a lot of stats when there are 5 of him like that...