Jae Crowder trade request

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: Jae Crowder trade request

Post by JeremyG »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:16 am
Shamet was a major miss and hopefully a learning experience for Monty and James Jones. I understand the rationale and strategy behind making the move, they just missed with the player. The FO did much better with Landale, Okogie and Lee this offseason.
It's not making the move that's the worst part, it's the extension before he ever played a minute in a Suns uniform.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:27 pm

Atlanta has continued its pursuit of Jae Crowder, and a new three-team concept with Utah and Phoenix circled around league executives this week. The Hawks certainly view the Jazz as a potential landing spot for John Collins. But while Utah has signaled a willingness to discuss Jarred Vanderbilt — of known interest to the Suns — and Landry Shamet has often been included in deal frameworks that would send Crowder to Atlanta, this structure appears to be an expired idea that never gained significant traction due to draft pick compensation and other shortcomings.
Bogdan and Vando would be an amazing return if we're also able to offload Shamet. I'd be up for giving a first in that scenario.

Vando would be such a great fit here.
I agree, it gives us the shooter (whom we traded for Marquese Chriss :roll:) that we need and the rebounding PF that we need. Either there really is something to that rumor about Mr. Rebate not allowing first-round picks to be traded, or else Jones is just foolishly hanging on to them, even though he doesn't even care about the draft.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Man we really hate Shamet don’t we. I’m not saying he’s good or anything, but people saying he doesn’t belong in the nba? C’mon now…he’s clearly an nba player, just not one who should be counted on for regular minutes on a team trying to win.

I think the problem is that everyone thought he was a JJ Reddick type and he’s clearly not. He’s a slightly above average shooter who can dribble a little bit and play decent defense. Too small to really be an impact defensive player though. He’s 2-3 inches away from being the prototypical 3D player.

The contract wasn’t good, as we clearly would’ve gotten him a lot cheaper if we waited, but at least it was only 2 years. He’ll be expiring next year and a very movable piece when maybe we can make trades again.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:51 am
ShelC wrote:
Shamet was a major miss and hopefully a learning experience for Monty and James Jones. I understand the rationale and strategy behind making the move, they just missed with the player. The FO did much better with Landale, Okogie and Lee this offseason.
It's not making the move that's the worst part, it's the extension before he ever played a minute in a Suns uniform.
This is fun! I hope we can talk about this forever!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:28 pm
As we all know too well, the playoffs are often a war of attrition. You never know what teams you’ll face and how healthy they’ll be when you face them.
This is true to a certain extent, but I think, more importantly, the West just doesn't have a great team this year. The top 3 currently is New Orleans, Memphis, and Denver. Both New Orleans and Memphis present serious matchup issues for Phoenix, but they are far from unbeatable. There isn't much separation 1-10 in the West, so almost anyone could come out of it this year.

But right now, it looks like the champion is going to come out of the East (Boston or Milwaukee). But we still have a lot of season left to play.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

ShelC wrote:
They did a great job upgrading the roster spots that you shouldn’t be relying on in the playoffs. They just didn’t bother to upgrade at the spots that matter.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:27 pm
Bogdan and Vando would be an amazing return if we're also able to offload Shamet. I'd be up for giving a first in that scenario.

Vando would be such a great fit here.
I've never been a fan of Vanderbilt, but he has taken a really nice step this season. He has evolved into basically the perfect role player, especially for us, as you mentioned.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

djy2j wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:32 pm
If there isn't a Crowder trade on Thursday we riot. This team is depleted and running on fumes. They shouldered it better than I expected but they need some help. Injuries are piling up.
We riot.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

mjwang92

Post by mjwang92 »

When and where does the riot start?

Split T

Post by Split T »

How about Crowder/Saric/Shamet and 4 1sts for Markkanen/Clarkson/Vanderbilt

Paul/Booker/Bridges/Lauri/Ayton
Payne/Clarkson/CamJ/Craig/Vandy
DWJ/Okogie/Lee/Biyombo/Landale

Crazy deep team, but is Booker/Markkanen good enough to be a championship 1-2? Honestly I think yes, he’s been incredible this year. 22/8 on 53/41/84 shooting for a .656 TS%.

You’d have enough scoring punch that Paul can just be a 20-25 minute a game table setter. Clarkson can keep bench units a float with his scoring ability. Vandy gives us a really phenomenal defensive player that can play small ball 5 and just seems like the perfect role player.

Imagine a lineup with Okogie/Bridges/Vandy out there on D? Throw Craig and either Booker or CamJ out there and you have your switch everything final shot defensive lineup. Include Ayton if they have a big we’re worried about or absolutely need to secure the rebound.

You want shooting? A Clarkson/Booker/Bridges/CamJ/Lauri lineup could unload from 3 with every single player being a great to elite 3pt shooter.

You need a last second shot and afraid the defense will just trap Booker?

A Paul/Clarkson/Booker/Bridges/Lauri lineup gives you 5 guys who can create. Could throw Ayton or Vandy out there instead of Bridges or Paul if you want someone to crash the glass too.

I think this team would have everything and I think I’ve talked myself into doing it. Would Utah though? Do they really need 15 acquired future 1sts instead of 11? They found something in Lauri and he might be worth 4 1sts by himself to them at this point. I don’t think they do it.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That is a really interesting trade, but it might get rejected by both teams. Four 1sts is a huge pill to swallow for the Suns, and the Jazz give up basically their best talent at a time when they're doing much better than expected. If the Jazz were further down in the standings, maybe they'd be looking at moves like that. You never know with Danny Ainge, though. I think I'd love that deal if you could skim 1-2 of those 1sts out of it.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:36 am
That is a really interesting trade, but it might get rejected by both teams. Four 1sts is a huge pill to swallow for the Suns, and the Jazz give up basically their best talent at a time when they're doing much better than expected. If the Jazz were further down in the standings, maybe they'd be looking at moves like that. You never know with Danny Ainge, though. I think I'd love that deal if you could skim 1-2 of those 1sts out of it.
Ya it’s a completely all in move by us and that’s risky without getting a bonafide star back. No guarantee Lauri would play as well in our system. He’s young and on a great contract though. Maybe if you could reroute Crowder somewhere to add one of the 1sts from another team, so it’s only 3 1sts from us?

I do think we’d struggle to get Utah to agree. They’d need to go on a big losing streak and decide to tank for Wemby before they’d consider it.

I do want Vanderbilt though. I’d like to get into the rumored Utah/Atlanta/Phoenix 3 teamer that puts Collins in Utah, Crowder in Atlanta, and Vandy here in Phoenix.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Split T wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:42 am
How about Crowder/Saric/Shamet and 4 1sts for Markkanen/Clarkson/Vanderbilt

Paul/Booker/Bridges/Lauri/Ayton
Payne/Clarkson/CamJ/Craig/Vandy
DWJ/Okogie/Lee/Biyombo/Landale

Crazy deep team, but is Booker/Markkanen good enough to be a championship 1-2? Honestly I think yes, he’s been incredible this year. 22/8 on 53/41/84 shooting for a .656 TS%.

You’d have enough scoring punch that Paul can just be a 20-25 minute a game table setter. Clarkson can keep bench units a float with his scoring ability. Vandy gives us a really phenomenal defensive player that can play small ball 5 and just seems like the perfect role player.

Imagine a lineup with Okogie/Bridges/Vandy out there on D? Throw Craig and either Booker or CamJ out there and you have your switch everything final shot defensive lineup. Include Ayton if they have a big we’re worried about or absolutely need to secure the rebound.

You want shooting? A Clarkson/Booker/Bridges/CamJ/Lauri lineup could unload from 3 with every single player being a great to elite 3pt shooter.

You need a last second shot and afraid the defense will just trap Booker?

A Paul/Clarkson/Booker/Bridges/Lauri lineup gives you 5 guys who can create. Could throw Ayton or Vandy out there instead of Bridges or Paul if you want someone to crash the glass too.

I think this team would have everything and I think I’ve talked myself into doing it. Would Utah though? Do they really need 15 acquired future 1sts instead of 11? They found something in Lauri and he might be worth 4 1sts by himself to them at this point. I don’t think they do it.
I think both teams might do it. I don't think the Jazz are under any illusions that their current team can compete for a championship. They might be were we were during some of the Dragic years... too good to get a great pick, too bad to really do anything in the playoffs. I do think the 4 1sts would be a bit of an overpay, maybe you could get by with 2 firsts, or 2 firsts and 2 pick swaps. But it pretty much addresses every major need for us.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

I like the idea. I think that's 2 too many firsts though without getting a superstar. Clarkson really showing off his elite scoring ability lately.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Split T

Post by Split T »

I just don’t think they would give up Markkanen without a big return. He’s really been phenomenal.

I really love the comparison to our 13-14 Dragic year. Markkanen is making the leap Dragic did. The team is playing way over expectations in a year everyone thought they would be awful. A little fools gold though as while they have a good, fun team, it’s not contending for anything without some talent upgrades at the top.

I think they’d be best served by trading off Vets and getting a high pick. Probably past the point where they can seriously get into the Wemby sweepstakes, but maybe they can get to like 7 or 8, and use some of their truck load of assets to move up and get a consolation prize.

TOO

Post by TOO »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:02 pm
ShelC wrote:
They did a great job upgrading the roster spots that you shouldn’t be relying on in the playoffs. They just didn’t bother to upgrade at the spots that matter.
Just for fun, who would you rather give Shamets contract to, Okogie based on what you've seen this year or Shamet?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Okogie for me. I hope we keep him around in the future. Though I also don’t think he’s worth 10 million a year. I’d give him like 5 million a year though.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Yeah, I mean, probably Okogie, but the correct answer is "neither." Okogie would have to improve a lot to be worth a contract like that. It's just a bad contract and you shouldn't hand a guy that kind of money if you aren't sure he can contribute and play in your rotation.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

TOO wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:29 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:02 pm
ShelC wrote:
Just for fun, who would you rather give Shamets contract to, Okogie based on what you've seen this year or Shamet?
I mean neither but yeah gun to my head Okogie. Shamets a two way contract type