Suns News: Week 11 1/5-1/11

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
TOO

Re: Suns News: Week 11 1/5-1/11

Post by TOO »

AmareIsGod wrote:Can anyone say that the Spurs have a legitimate superstar today or over the past few years? They've had All Star caliber players, for sure. You can't say that because Tim Duncan or Tony Parker were superstars at one point in their career that they are or have been over the past few seasons. They are the model that we should follow. A strong core of All Star caliber players (2 or 3) that stay together for a period of time. Something to be said about continuity. Let's give it a shot for once. Rome wasn't built overnight.
Haven't had a superstar since Nash. Not sure if we have any superstar potential besides Len and maybe Bledsoe, need to see a lot more from the other kids.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Trade em: Green, Thomas, Bledsoe, Plumlee.
Keep em: Warren, Len, Ennis, Markieff.
Indifferent: Goran, Goodwin, Marcus, Tucker.
Belong in China: Shav, Zoran.
So you think that our best team going forward includes Ennis but not Goran or Bledsoe?

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Another dream signing would be Jimmy Butler.
You bet your hide on that. Butler would be a coup
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:Can anyone say that the Spurs have a legitimate superstar today or over the past few years? They've had All Star caliber players, for sure. You can't say that because Tim Duncan or Tony Parker were superstars at one point in their career that they are or have been over the past few seasons. They are the model that we should follow. A strong core of All Star caliber players (2 or 3) that stay together for a period of time. Something to be said about continuity. Let's give it a shot for once. Rome wasn't built overnight.
Haven't had a superstar since Nash. Not sure if we have any superstar potential besides Len and maybe Bledsoe, need to see a lot more from the other kids.
Again, the Spurs have won championships over recent seasons without superstars. You don't need a superstar to win a championship. Aged superstars turn into all star caliber players. It can be argued that we definitely have several all star or near all star caliber players. Let's keep a roster together for awhile and see what happens.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

And those looking for big changes or shakeups are also conceding that this roster has hit its ceiling. I definitely don't think that's the case.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

The Pistons team that won the crown wasn't loaded with All-Stars.
They did have a number of smart players who had each other's back.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

TOO

Post by TOO »

Indy wrote:
Trade em: Green, Thomas, Bledsoe, Plumlee.
Keep em: Warren, Len, Ennis, Markieff.
Indifferent: Goran, Goodwin, Marcus, Tucker.
Belong in China: Shav, Zoran.
So you think that our best team going forward includes Ennis but not Goran or Bledsoe?
Bledsoe has shown glimpses, but he is nowhere near a 14M per player, he's a SG who can't shoot in a PG body. He's a turnover machine. Dragic is a different story, I'm indifferent towards him because I've never been huge fan. He was wonderful last year and that sort of changed my view on him, but I wouldn't miss him if he were traded.

The reason I'd keep Ennis is he's the type of pass first PG I prefer, not that he's done anything to show he's worth keeping over the other 2. The other 2 could garner value in a trade, Ennis probably couldn't.

TOO

Post by TOO »

LazarusLong wrote:The Pistons team that won the crown wasn't loaded with All-Stars.
They did have a number of smart players who had each other's back.
They were also a great defensive team.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I consider Tony Parker a superstar. Easily.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Ring_Wanted wrote:I consider Tony Parker a superstar. Easily.
Tony Parker 2014/2015 - 15.6 PPG, 5.1 AST, 0.6 STL, 0.0 BLK, 2.6 TO, 1.6 RPG, 79% FTs, 49% FGs
Eric Bledsoe 2014 / 2015 - 16.6 PPG, 5.9 AST, 1.6 STL, 0.7 BLK, 3.1 TO, 5.3 RPG, 83% FTs, 44% FGs

A superstar dwindles with age. By your logic, if Tony Parker is a superstar today, based on his production, that puts Eric Bledsoe in the same status of superstar.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Not even close. Parker is much better than Bledsoe, even today. The numbers might be close, but their game is not, in my opinion.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Not even close. Parker is much better than Bledsoe, even today. The numbers might be close, but their game is not, in my opinion.
Care to elaborate? What is it that makes Tony Parker, today, a superstar? How does what he does, today, make him much better than Bledsoe? We aren't living in yesteryear. I'm trying to talk about this objectively in relation to basketball being played in 2015.

EDC

Post by EDC »

I dunno having the best power forward to ever play the game down in the post at the end of a playoff game seems like a nice advantage.

I know he is old but he still has great skills. Combine that with the experience and he is such a big deal to that team. He makes it easier for everyone around him.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

I would consider a superstar top 3 at their position at the time they are being labeled a superstar (not based on past accomplishments). A player that, individually, can carry a team on their back. Tony Parker, today, doesn't fit either of those. To each his own, I suppose.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

EDC wrote:I dunno having the best power forward to ever play the game down in the post at the end of a playoff game seems like a nice advantage.
Exactly. The Spurs are one of a kind. "Just follow the Spurs model" is a little easier said than done.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

AmareIsGod wrote:And those looking for big changes or shakeups are also conceding that this roster has hit its ceiling.
That's not true. It's just a concession that the team's ceiling doesn't rise to contending level. There are levels between contending and borderline playoff team.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:There's something to be said for some consistency for a change. Allowing a group of guys to learn each other's game and to grow as a team.
That only pays off if you have the right players.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Another dream signing would be Jimmy Butler.
With what money?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

It's hard to compare us (or anyone) to the Spurs. They built their consistency on the the greatest power forward of all time, and top 5 shooting guards and point guards (at their peaks). The pieces around them have changed several times over the years. We don't have quite the same core.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Or the same coach.