Monty Williams

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Monty Williams will...

Poll ended at Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:38 pm

No longer be the Suns' head coach by training camp 2023
10%
No longer be the Suns' head coach by training camp 2024
5%
Still be the Suns' head coach for training camp 2024
85%

Total votes: 20

Flagrant Fowl

Re: Monty Williams

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 7:08 am
LMAO. Maybe.

But you gotta admit every player named is on the Suns fandom hit list. I’m not buying the report as gospel for a second.

Maybe Ishbia is more of a loose cannon than we thought and it gets really weird. That would be rough.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 11:23 am
The one who lost the locker room was DA. You could see the whole team lose faith in him as the season progressed. They didn't ignore him under the basket for no reason. I'd also bet that Book felt a way about playing on a wonky foot while DA sat out with his injury.
I didn't want to get carried away, but the thought crossed my mind that there was some bad feelings when Monty, in his postgame presser, gave credit to Book for the type of player to play through aches and pain. He seemed to go out of his way to make that point.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

LazarusLong wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 7:36 am
I like Monty, but he's seems to have lost the locker room, i.e., players aren't listening to him and have little faith in his coaching moves.
He's definitely not getting through to Ayton. I think he's going to need a very strong and direct personality to poke and prod him constantly.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 11:39 am
LazarusLong wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 7:36 am
I like Monty, but he's seems to have lost the locker room, i.e., players aren't listening to him and have little faith in his coaching moves.
He's definitely not getting through to Ayton. I think he's going to need a very strong and direct personality to poke and prod him constantly.
I don't think it is personality thing. I think Ayton just needs a coach that is willing to prioritize him in the offense. Whether that can actually be positive thing on a contender remains to be seen.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think we especially saw Ayton become less useful when he didn’t have CP3 on ball as much. Ayton seems to work better in an offense that has a pass-first pg.

I do think he’d do well with Luka, Trae, or Haliburton. Maybe LaMelo too.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I don't see how his style of play constitutes winning if hes a main option. Unless he picks it up on the boards and defensively he's just a poor man's KAT.

Split T

Post by Split T »

He probably just needs to go to a team with lower expectations that can afford to feature him and see what type of offensive player he can develop into. We needed him to be a certain player that he didn’t really want to be…and he stopped being that guy once he got paid and the relationship with the team/coach soured.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Said I wouldn’t post any more flex tweets but fuck it.

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 7:08 am
Perhaps, but this team wasn't complete. Suns need quite a few pieces.

If Tyrone Lue becomes available, then by all means get him. Otherwise, with all the trades that were made, Monty kinda deserves another chance.
Phoenix Suns 2024-25 NBA Champions !

TOO

Post by TOO »

Can we stop posting troll accounts like they are actual news? Thanks.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 8:10 am
He lost Ayton, I don’t think he lost the locker room. This is a major overreaction to one bad game(2 if you count last year).
Just 2 bad games? :lol: And they were the most important games of the season.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 12:00 pm
I think we especially saw Ayton become less useful when he didn’t have CP3 on ball as much. Ayton seems to work better in an offense that has a pass-first pg.
You’re forgetting that some of his best stretches this season were when Chris Paul was injured.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 1:43 pm
Split T wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 12:00 pm
You’re forgetting that some of his best stretches this season were when Chris Paul was injured.
He had like one good stretch this year and none with KD. He wasn’t bought in this year…you won’t see it, but he was not the same player. Hopefully(for most of us) we won’t have to debate his play on the court for us anymore

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

One thing that I feel is not being discussed enough is the way the team played in first quarters, especially in the postseason. And then they had to work hard just to try to stay within striking distance or get back into the game. To come out and just get behind immediately in what seemed like almost every game in the playoffs says a lot about the coaching.

Split T

Post by Split T »

That’s a valid concern…I also think not being comfortable with your teammates is part of that. Making decisions on the fly with teammates you’re not used to is tough. I think it also says good things about the coaching that the team often responded and played better in subsequent quarters, does it not? Once we saw how we were being defended or how we were being attacked offensively.

Maybe there was more the coaching could have done to prepare the team each game, but I don’t think it’s a clear indication of a problem.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I just want to know who the one other poster was who voted with me lol.

mjwang92

Post by mjwang92 »

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING: The Phoenix Suns dismissed coach Monty Williams, sources tell ESPN. Williams was a two-time NBA Coach of the Year in four seasons with Suns — including a trip to 2021 NBA Finals. Suns lost 6-game series to Nuggets in Western Semifinals. <a href="https://t.co/bfMd6F1RJc">pic.twitter.co ... </p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) <a href=" 14, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Gambo spittin' facts about Monty and Ayton/Crowder the other day (responding to Stephen A): CLIP

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I listened to the clip, and Gambo is basically saying our loss is "on Monty" because he didn't call DA on the phone after he signed his max contract. Give me a break. How much of a thin-skinned baby are we taking DA for, that if he doesn't get some congratulatory phone call, it completely excuses his regression and mediocre play for a whole season, culminating in his no-showing a playoff run? What nonsense. I don't blame DA solely for our losing to the Nugs; he did play some good defense on Jokic early in the series. But he's responsible for his own play, his own effort, his own role. And he didn't play like a star, like a guy you pay a max contract to lead your team.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’m not saying Monty is blameless, but his job isn’t to hold Ayton’s hand.

Did you see what Jock said about Monty and Ayton? He gave a ton of credit to Monty for getting their relationship from what it was before the season to what it was at the end. Ya Monty deserves some blame for where the relationship was in the first place, but this just feels like Gambo trying to keep sources and go to bat for guys/agents of guys that give him information. Also probably trying to save face a bit as he was always a big Ayton guy.

And Crowder wasn’t worth the headache. He couldn’t even play in a Milwaukee. Looks like Monty was right about him.