How Would You Rebuild the Suns?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: How Would You Rebuild the Suns?

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 9:33 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 9:24 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 9:14 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 8:57 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 8:56 pm

They’ve seen first hand what he can be on a consistent basis given the opportunity. Take a look at his two games against them this season.
Yeah, he played well against a shitty team. Cool.
But how does a player devoid of offensive abilities score over 30 points, even against a bad team? You just said in the coaching thread that there is nothing being left on the table with Ayton.
He's not devoid of offensive abilities, and I never said that. He can score the ball well when set up by teammates or offensive scheme. There's nothing left on the table in terms of development. He's not going to significantly improve his ballhandling, playmaking or 3-point shooting unless he starts actually putting in the work. I haven't seen an indication that'll happen and especially not since he's signed a new contract.
“…or offensive scheme.” So the coaching was leaving a lot on the table then.

As for the second part, seriously? He put in tons of work on his three point shooting, and showed it in training camp. Monty just didn’t let him shoot it—and not even one corner three this year after he worked on that shot all summer.

As Barkley and the rest of the TNT crew always say, a coach can’t give a player confidence but they can take away their confidence.
I didn't see it. His shot was always flat. The further out he is, the worse the results.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 6:21 am
The only thing freezing Ayton out of the offense were his stone hands. He dropped like half of the entry passes thrown to him.
And when he did catch and then tried to dribble, the ball would be stolen most of the time.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://arizonasports.com/story/3524188 ... hris-paul/

Suns face complex avenues for potentially moving on from Chris Paul
The Phoenix Suns know what they want to get done this offseason with what will be some type of roster makeover. It’s just a matter of how the cap situation limits the functionality of that roster, and it’s not solely about making simple choices of bringing guys back or not.
Olson on Paul:
I would not move on from Paul. He will adapt far better to the role with a full season knowing what it is going to be, and it’s very unlikely Phoenix would be able to replace him with a better player for next year.
Short-term thinking reigns supreme in the Durant era. How that looks for the Suns, though, is open to interpretation, and we’ll know in six weeks.

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't know how CP can adapt his game if it means playing off the ball. That's not his game. Maybe a new coach can better integrate CP, Book and KD but you still want the ball in Book and KD's hands. CP is ball dominant and most effective as a true PG setting things up, running PnR and getting guys involved.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

ShelC wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 7:22 pm
I don't know how CP can adapt his game if it means playing off the ball. That's not his game. Maybe a new coach can better integrate CP, Book and KD but you still want the ball in Book and KD's hands. CP is ball dominant and most effective as a true PG setting things up, running PnR and getting guys involved.
And even if he adapts, he can't hold up for 4 rounds in the playoffs. We've got years of evidence pointing a giant arrow at this fact. At his price, I'd rather someone 75% as good (and another piece) who will actually suit up in May.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 7:16 pm

The Phoenix Suns know what they want to get done this offseason with what will be some type of roster makeover. It’s just a matter of how the cap situation limits the functionality of that roster, and it’s not solely about making simple choices of bringing guys back or not.
Olson on Paul:
I would not move on from Paul. He will adapt far better to the role with a full season knowing what it is going to be, and it’s very unlikely Phoenix would be able to replace him with a better player for next year.
Short-term thinking reigns supreme in the Durant era. How that looks for the Suns, though, is open to interpretation, and we’ll know in six weeks.
Kellan is a Paul shill.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TOO wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 7:46 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 7:16 pm

Olson on Paul:
Kellan is a Paul shill.
I got that vibe.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

He doesn't hide it either, he's gushed about Paul being the GOAT Suns PG on Twitter multiple times.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

$30 million Paul has to go. He isn’t durable, doesn’t put pressure on the rim. He had his worst season yet because he is fragile. It would be fine if he were paid $10 million. But he just can’t be relied upon anymore. I fear sadly we will need to hold onto him for potential trade value that will never actually come and the ball sticking in his hands will undermine whatever new coach wants to do. CP3 has too much control over the offense that I just dont see Book and KD being able to do anything other than what cp3 does things on offense.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I also think there's a pretty decent chance that Paul finishes out his contract with the Suns. I don't foresee the Suns getting anything of value in a trade, in fact, they'd probably have to give up something to get off of his money or take on a longer term bad-ish contract.

Regardless, this roster desperately needs another highly competent ball handler.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 12:25 am
I also think there's a pretty decent chance that Paul finishes out his contract with the Suns. I don't foresee the Suns getting anything of value in a trade, in fact, they'd probably have to give up something to get off of his money or take on a longer term bad-ish contract.

Regardless, this roster desperately needs another highly competent ball handler.
"Finishes out his contract" as in 2024-25? I don't think even Ishbia will pay him $31M for that season.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I think they waive and stretch Paul then resign him at the minimum once he clears waivers.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Don’t think you can re-sign if you stretch the contract

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 11:22 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 6:21 am
The only thing freezing Ayton out of the offense were his stone hands. He dropped like half of the entry passes thrown to him.
And when he did catch and then tried to dribble, the ball would be stolen most of the time.
Calling them stone implies anything about him is tough. I’d call them weak, or stoned, hands

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Crazy idea...sign Paul to a 2 year extension, but at $5M/yr with the purpose of having him as the bench PG. He collars the same money and can make the transition as a PG to coach the bench and whomever we get as starting PG for a couple years. The reduced minutes and transitory role I think strengthens the team and reduces our bank roll, while ensuring him his guaranteed money. Shrug, just an idea.

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 8:36 pm
Crazy idea...sign Paul to a 2 year extension, but at $5M/yr with the purpose of having him as the bench PG. He collars the same money and can make the transition as a PG to coach the bench and whomever we get as starting PG for a couple years. The reduced minutes and transitory role I think strengthens the team and reduces our bank roll, while ensuring him his guaranteed money. Shrug, just an idea.
In an ideal world that's what I'd do, but I don't think Paul has any intention of coming off the bench. He'll want to round out his career as a starter be it in Phoenix or elsewhere.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

SunsSince92 wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 9:14 am
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
In an ideal world that's what I'd do, but I don't think Paul has any intention of coming off the bench. He'll want to round out his career as a starter be it in Phoenix or elsewhere.
I don't know. He's a smart guy. He knows he's slowing down. He might be willing to listen. If not, sayonara.

"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 10:36 am
SunsSince92 wrote:
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
I don't know. He's a smart guy. He knows he's slowing down. He might be willing to listen. If not, sayonara.
Nah. He’s like Melo. You guys saw in the playoffs this year when he kept the ball in his hands and slowed it to a halt down the stretch and did pick and rolls with Half man Half ass instead of referring to Book/KD.

He may come off the bench, he may start, but he’ll never change his style

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 10:46 am
Superbone wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 10:36 am
SunsSince92 wrote:
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Nah. He’s like Melo. You guys saw in the playoffs this year when he kept the ball in his hands and slowed it to a halt down the stretch and did pick and rolls with Half man Half ass instead of referring to Book/KD.

He may come off the bench, he may start, but he’ll never change his style
He’s not going to adapt. That’s not how he got here and how he sees himself as a facilitator. Playing outside his comfort zone often leads to turning it over. But it seems he has lost the ball control on offense. Suns have to move on.
I think the decision has been made to hunt for a deal that makes sense.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Melo did adapt though. He had a couple decent years at the end as a role player.