2023 Suns General Offseason/PostSeason News Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: 2023 Suns General Offseason/PostSeason News Thread

Post by Split T »

I’d take him…he’s probably a vet min guy at this point

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I didn't realize Cory Joseph was 31 years old. Time flies.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... pco01.html

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Gambo says the only way Paul is coming back is if he’s waived and resigned for the minimum.

"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I think there's a decent chance Paul would sign with the Lakers if he's waived, and it wouldn't upset me too much.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Or back with the Clippers. His family is in LA after all. If he does that, we can just stretch his contract and save more. I wouldn’t be too upset either.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Flex interview for those that want to watch plus a reddit recap. I do think the waive and re-sign plan is unrealistic. It really sucks to opt in and pay him the $30mil but we may not feel like we have better options.

Spoiler: show/hide

Split T

Post by Split T »

Will be interesting, Gambo says no chance CP3 plays at 30 million. And Gambo has been pretty on top of things this off-season. Maybe waiving him and then giving him the BAE(4.2 million) or say half the MLE(6.1 million) would be a compromise.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

If another contending team has more money to offer, he'll sign with them. Just not sure if the Lakers or Clips have their exceptions. Doubt he'd take a backup role with a team like the Bucks or Cs (could start there?) He won't sign for the minimum with us and it kind of defeats the purpose of waiving him to clear the money just to give him one of the exceptions. We need some fresh blood and depth.

Split T

Post by Split T »

It just depends on how committed he is to being here. He may value that over a couple million dollars. But he also may value being in LA near his family more.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

As imperfect as CP3 is, waiving him for nothing will be a setback for the team. He was good at setting up others in our offense and he was a pesky defender who generated a lot of steals. Starting some scrub like Cam Payne is not a winning strategy. Obviously we would be trying to use his salary slot to go get other players, but we don't really get $30m to work with. We'd just be getting some exceptions back, so we will be really restricted in terms of how we can improve the team. It very well may be that what we get back for losing CP3 is worse than keeping CP3 would have been. Lot of pressure on the front office to get this right.

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:48 pm
As imperfect as CP3 is, waiving him for nothing will be a setback for the team. He was good at setting up others in our offense and he was a pesky defender who generated a lot of steals. Starting some scrub like Cam Payne is not a winning strategy. Obviously we would be trying to use his salary slot to go get other players, but we don't really get $30m to work with. We'd just be getting some exceptions back, so we will be really restricted in terms of how we can improve the team. It very well may be that what we get back for losing CP3 is worse than keeping CP3 would have been. Lot of pressure on the front office to get this right.
Spot on. I don't think it would be an exaggeration to say that the decision they make on Paul's future will make or break our season. It's that critical.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:48 pm
Sorry Mori, you're living in the past. "Starting some scrub like Cam Payne" won us our only games against the Nuggets, and he was our best player in Game 6. But this isn't about him; I'm fine with sending CamPayne packing too.

The steals Paul gets are just two possessions compared the other 80 or so possessions where he can't keep guys in front of him. We don't need him to set anyone up; the offense is basically going to be Book or Durant creating, and with the new regime, probably feeding Ayton in the post regularly. We don't need a ball dominant PG anymore.

Most importantly: PAUL CAN'T STAY ON THE COURT. That isn't an imperfection; it's a non-starter. Whatever you think Paul brings to the table is negated by him either being unavailable or hampered by an injury come playoff time.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Terrence Ross, we hardly knew you.

TOO

Post by TOO »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:14 pm

Terrence Ross, we hardly knew you.
Giggled pretty good at this.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ross played for Vogel in Orlando

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

It was interesting how James Jones seemed to throw Monty under the bus, saying that he thought our bench and roster were good enough to win a championship the last couple years.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:46 pm
It was interesting how James Jones seemed to throw Monty under the bus, saying that he thought our bench and roster were good enough to win a championship the last couple years.
Of course he is going to say that. If he didn't say that, then 2021 and 2022 are on him, and 2023 would be on Ishbia.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:46 pm
You seem to be taking all of these comments completely credulously at face value. A lot of times in these press events, they say what is expected, they say the right thing to say. Of course they'll say that they think this team can and should win a championship. And of course they'll praise core guys like Ayton, CP3, Book and KD, whether or not all of those guys are still on the team in 6 months. It'd be foolish to do differently.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I would have expected (and hoped) that Jones would say something more along the lines of, "These playoffs showed that we need to upgrade our bench and build a deeper roster." He's not going to get fired for taking responsbility to improve the roster.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

And maybe he is just delusional. I mean he has seen how unreliable Paul and Payne are, and still hasn't gotten a third point guard option. He saw Giannis and Brook Lopez eat us alive, but still hasn't tried to find a big that can play with Ayton. These are issues that have plagued the Suns for years without being addressed.

Some tried to sell Durant as an answer to the big next to Ayton, but that isn't his game, and we saw in the Denver series, we couldn't even match Aaron Gordon's physicality. And Gordon is hardly the gold standard of physical play at the 4 spot.