Around the League: Week 12 1/12-1/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
TOO

Re: Around the League: Week 12 1/12-1/18

Post by TOO »

And they'll be bad enough for their pick not to convey. Dammit.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Well, we can always hope Kobe plays next year!
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

I'm not too worried about getting the laker pick this year. I think it has more value to us as a trade tool and postponing it a year gives us more trade opportunities. And it's only top 3 protected next year and I doubt the Lakers will be much better, so it'll still be very valuable. Now if we could use it to grab kristaps Porzingis this year I'd be pretty happy, but I think he's probably top 5

TOO

Post by TOO »

Pipedream scenario for me is get #6 this year, and trade that and some kids for #1 for Okafor.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya, that'd be nice too. I think okafor, towns, or Porzingis would be great additions, problem is they are probably all top 5 picks. If the laker pick is 6th, a team like philly might trade down seeing as they might be more interested in perimeter players

Split T

Post by Split T »

Just noticed Aaron Gordon is playing for Orlando tonight, not sure how long he's been back, but good to see him back healthy

carey

Post by carey »

Split T wrote:Just noticed Aaron Gordon is playing for Orlando tonight, not sure how long he's been back, but good to see him back healthy
First game back and he gets to guard KD. OKC is destroying the Magic right now. I'm worried that game against the W's woke the sleeping giant...
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

carey wrote:Kendall Marshall is out for the year. Torn ACL: LINK
I think Milwaukee needs to overhaul their training staff and conditioning program. Second year in a row they are leveled by injuries.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:Just noticed Aaron Gordon is playing for Orlando tonight, not sure how long he's been back, but good to see him back healthy
+1

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote: Now if we could use it to grab kristaps Porzingis this year I'd be pretty happy, but I think he's probably top 5
+2

Cap

Post by Cap »

Split T wrote:And it's only top 3 protected next year and I doubt the Lakers will be much better, so it'll still be very valuable.
They have Kobe, a top 5 pick, tons of cap room, and they're the Lakers. They will be at least decent next year. We're looking at a pick in the mid-teens at best, if we don't get it this year.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Didn't they have that last year though? All I've heard since the season started is how they'll be big players in 2017's free agent market.

And even if they finish with the 4th or 5th worst record they could conceivably drop a couple places after the lottery.

Either way, in Jim Buss I trust.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Cap wrote:
Split T wrote:And it's only top 3 protected next year and I doubt the Lakers will be much better, so it'll still be very valuable.
They have Kobe, a top 5 pick, tons of cap room, and they're the Lakers. They will be at least decent next year. We're looking at a pick in the mid-teens at best, if we don't get it this year.
I don't see any reason to be so confident that the Lakers will be that much improved next year. These days, lottery picks usually take years to actually translate into lots more wins. I think they'll still net us a top-ten draft pick next year, perhaps top 5-6, if they don't convey it this time.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Cap wrote:
I don't see any reason to be so confident that the Lakers will be that much improved next year. These days, lottery picks usually take years to actually translate into lots more wins. I think they'll still net us a top-ten draft pick next year, perhaps top 5-6, if they don't convey it this time.
Agreed. That team is awful. Kobe is not Kobe anymore and outside of jordan hill and Julius Randle I'm not sure there is anyone I'd remotely want on my team.

Worst case scenario, they get the #1 pick and take okafor, sign kevin love, and Kobe realizes he's better off as a facilitator who is much more selective shooting the ball.

Ok, that sounds terrible...and since this is the lakers we're talking about it's probably exactly what's going to happen.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Split T wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
Cap wrote:
Agreed. That team is awful. Kobe is not Kobe anymore and outside of jordan hill and Julius Randle I'm not sure there is anyone I'd remotely want on my team.

Worst case scenario, they get the #1 pick and take okafor, sign kevin love, and Kobe realizes he's better off as a facilitator who is much more selective shooting the ball.

Ok, that sounds terrible...and since this is the lakers we're talking about it's probably exactly what's going to happen.
If that happens, they still wouldn't even come close to sniffing the playoffs. That's a 35 win team, IMO.

Split T

Post by Split T »

They wouldn't make the playoffs, but they'd be better than the nuggets-Kings group in the west and better than all the east lottery teams, that pick would be 12th or 13th

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It's almost impossible to go from worst-in-the-league to a legit playoff team in one year. The Lakers aren't going to do that next season. Bank it.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Mori Chu wrote:It's almost impossible to go from worst-in-the-league to a legit playoff team in one year.
It's not "almost impossible." We did it just last season.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Not last season, but we did it when the year Nash signed.

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

Mori Chu wrote:It's almost impossible to go from worst-in-the-league to a legit playoff team in one year. The Lakers aren't going to do that next season. Bank it.
Celtics went from worst to first in 08. :D

Suns went from 29 wins to 62 ten years ago.

Fun fact: Suns started off that year 31-4.