All Things Ayton

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Kryptonic

Re: All Things Ayton

Post by Kryptonic »

TOO wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:06 pm
Split T wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:57 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:33 pm
Split T wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:14 pm
It’s on him to reach his full potential, not the fans
Of course it's on him to reach his full potential. But people (coaches, teammates, media, fans, etc.) can certainly get in the way, and can destroy a player mentally. We've seen it happen before--even in this city.
Well you tried to blame us…which is ridiculous. At some point you gotta blame DA
It will never be DAs fault. Now it's the fans, what's next, the ball?
To me... Part of being a professional athlete is being able to have the mental fortitude to withstand the trash talking and criticism. Doesn't the NBA do psychological exams on players to determine their ability to withstand the harsh criticism?

Knowing he's down on himself and having a hard time feeling "loved" does hurt me as a human... He's a nice kid and does try to say the right things. However I hope he's realizing it's HIS comments that bring fuel to the fire and maybe he needs to adjust his approach.

Anyhow... I am rooting for him and hope he's ready for a fun season... I'd be ecstatic if he could drop 15/15 a night with a couple of blocks. That's the DA I'm hoping for. Less scoring (only because we have too many scorers already, not downplaying him), more boarding and being a defensive beast.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

DA describing fans' treatment of him:

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I wonder what “working 5-6 days a week to motivate myself to change the narrative” consists of. Is he doing 2-a-days of the Stuart Smalley thing in front of a mirror?

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Dude never actually discloses what the narrative is and what he's changing.

Just reminds me of the episode of The Office where Charles asks Jim to give him the rundown and Jim spends all day working on the rundown while trying to figure out what the rundown is. DA is currently working hard on that rundown. "But not too hard. Not harder than I should."

Looking forward to him presenting that rundown this fall.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

ShadowHawke

Post by ShadowHawke »

During the series versus Denver, there was a sequence when Ayton was passed the ball as he just passed half court. He bobbled the ball around and I thought was going to turn it over when he passed it. Pretty much showed everything he needs to develop. There wasn't a defender on him.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

His statement is typical DA. At first it sounds like he's hearing the criticism and taking it to heart. But you listen to his actual words and you realize, there's no internal motivation, no drive. He isn't bothered by the fact that he can and should be better. He's bothered that some fans dare to criticize him and expect better of him. He sounds like he wants to stop being criticized, he wants to "change the narrative," not to actually improve.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:58 pm
I wonder what “working 5-6 days a week to motivate myself to change the narrative” consists of. Is he doing 2-a-days of the Stuart Smalley thing in front of a mirror?
that cracked me up… lmaorof

I’m good enough, I’m smart enough and gosh darnit people like me!

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:58 pm
That's such a Deandre Ayton quote and only leads me to believe not much of anything will change.
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:16 pm
His statement is typical DA. At first it sounds like he's hearing the criticism and taking it to heart. But you listen to his actual words and you realize, there's no internal motivation, no drive. He isn't bothered by the fact that he can and should be better. He's bothered that some fans dare to criticize him and expect better of him. He sounds like he wants to stop being criticized, he wants to "change the narrative," not to actually improve.
Nailed it.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:11 pm

If he never reaches his full potential, the majority of the Suns fanbase can blame themselves for wrecking this kid (with Monty's help). Hopefully, though, he is mentally strong enough to overcome it (with Vogel's help).
You out Jeremied yourself. He’s not a 12 yr old. He doesn’t have any major fan following right now anywhere in the league. Dude thought he’d walk into the league and just dominate. Ben Simmons is a guy who never developed past his own skillset as a max player. Playing the victim is a defense mechanism.

TOO

Post by TOO »

JeremyG wrote:

If he never reaches his full potential, the majority of the Suns fanbase can blame themselves for wrecking this kid (with Monty's help). Hopefully, though, he is mentally strong enough to overcome it (with Vogel's help).
You know who is hated by way more fans than Deandre Ayton? Devin Booker. Everyone but Suns fans hate that dude. He's had the worst coaches, some of the worst supporting casts etc, he still kept grinding, getting better, year after year. You ever see him crying on TV about how nobody likes him?

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

If it already hasn't done so, I think this thread has now jumped the shark.

Oof.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

TOO wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:29 pm
You know who is hated by way more fans than Deandre Ayton? Devin Booker. Everyone but Suns fans hate that dude. He's had the worst coaches, some of the worst supporting casts etc, he still kept grinding, getting better, year after year. You ever see him crying on TV about how nobody likes him?
Lol, that's completely different than your own team's fans hating you.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Wished he got traded this off season so we don't have to constantly put up with this. This is going to last into the season.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:54 pm
TOO wrote:
He hasn't really done much to deserve love from the Phoenix fan base. I think we do a great job of embracing players. Look how heartbroken a lot of us were when Bridges and Cam got traded away.

TOO

Post by TOO »

LazarusLong wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:50 pm
If it already hasn't done so, I think this thread has now jumped the shark.

Oof.
We swam out to sea 90 pages ago tbh.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

:lol:
JeremyG wrote:

Oh my God, you are really taking it to the next level Jeremy, true commitment to your character!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No way you are being serious, right? RIGHT?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

iLLmatic wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:01 pm
JeremyG wrote:
TOO wrote:
He hasn't really done much to deserve love from the Phoenix fan base.
Where's the puke emoji on here?

Taking the team to within two wins of a championship doesn't count I guess.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

It just proves that Ayton, like some of his most ardent fans, can’t seem to differentiate between people who “hate” him and those that are disappointed by how his career has progressed.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:50 pm
iLLmatic wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
TOO wrote:

I loved what he did those playoffs, but it’s hard to claim he was any more than the 3rd most important guy. Book and CP3 took us there, but Ayton did contribute a lot. Most fans were very happy with Ayton at that moment…then he dissapointed two years in a row and backslid to rookie level Ayton.

TOO

Post by TOO »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:50 pm
iLLmatic wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
TOO wrote:

Fuckin stop it 😆

He was very good, he still put up 14/12 and got bodied by Giannis.

Meanwhile the guy that really led them put up 28/4/4.