All Things Ayton

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: All Things Ayton

Post by JeremyG »

'Desire to be great': Phoenix Suns GM James Jones discusses Deandre Ayton 'hating me' comments
Duane Rankin
Arizona Republic
https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 450013007/
“He’s just aware, self aware. I think a lot of times, our guys pay too much attention to social media and the noise I would say, but they can’t avoid it because there the ones people talk about. Deandre is extremely self aware. I think what gets lost is his desire to be great and how much winning matters to him. I’ll say it again, he’s not even 25 years old (turns 25 Tuesday) and he’s six years into his NBA career. He’s an 18 (points per game) and 10 (rebounds per game) player and if you were to ask the game’s greatest players how easy it is to do that, they’ll tell you it’s extremely difficult, but even that bar isn’t high enough for him and others.”

[...]

“He’s challenging himself to change the narrative,'' Jone said. "Rightfully or unrightfully, whatever the word would be, he hears and he senses and he feels, but the outside opinion, I think, and I know internally, that he has change the narrative because if you look at the impact that he’s had on this team over the last three or four years is undeniable and without him playing at the level that he’s playing at, we’re not nearly as good as we’ve been. If he can take it to a level that I know he wants to, he makes us special and I think that’s the driver for him. The internal, external motivations will always be there and I think he’s just trying to harness that now.”
(His birthday is actually Sunday--Rankin keeps getting it wrong. :roll:)

People keep trying to dismiss the 18 & 10 thing, but...

All NBA players who averaged 18 and 10 last season:

1. Joel Embiid
2. Giannis Antetokounmpo
3. Anthony Davis
4. Julius Randle
5. Nikola Jokic
6. Domantas Sabonis
7. Deandre Ayton

Centers who averaged 18 and 10:

1. Joel Embiid
2. Anthony Davis
3. Nikola Jokic
4. Domantas Sabonis
5. Deandre Ayton
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I adore that you knew his birthday and were irked that the columnist got it wrong. :)

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Career FTAs for Centers (Avg)
Joel: 9.9
Davis: 7.4
Sabonis: 5.5
Jokic: 4.5
x
x
x
Ayton: 3.1

He's sleep walking...

TOO

Post by TOO »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:33 am
I adore that you knew his birthday and were irked that the columnist got it wrong. :)
Yep, not weird at all.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:56 am
x
x
x

He's sleep walking...
Just means he relies solely on someone else to get him good shots.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:10 am
And don't these guys have editors?
there the ones people talk about
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:25 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Jone said
he has change the
For that last one, I honestly couldn't figure out if he said "he has to change" or "he has changed" (based on the context, I'm pretty sure it's the latter).

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:33 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:25 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Jone said
he has change the
For that last one, I honestly couldn't figure out if he said "he has to change" or "he has changed" (based on the context, I'm pretty sure it's the latter).
Yeah, the latter. They either don't use editors or they are very bad at their jobs.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

TOO wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:20 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:33 am
Yep, not weird at all.
It's my grandfather's birthday and also the birthday of a different celebrity with whom I have worked closely.

My best guess is that Rankin keeps thinking July 25 because he's turning 25 lol.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
x
x
x

He's sleep walking...
So you're telling me that Jokic is 3.9 times closer to Ayton than he is to Embiid? He must be a horrible player!

Also, how many of those have been 3rd options for most of their career?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

JeremyG wrote:
'Desire to be great': Phoenix Suns GM James Jones discusses Deandre Ayton 'hating me' comments
Duane Rankin
Arizona Republic
https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 450013007/
“He’s just aware, self aware. I think a lot of times, our guys pay too much attention to social media and the noise I would say, but they can’t avoid it because there the ones people talk about. Deandre is extremely self aware. I think what gets lost is his desire to be great and how much winning matters to him. I’ll say it again, he’s not even 25 years old (turns 25 Tuesday) and he’s six years into his NBA career. He’s an 18 (points per game) and 10 (rebounds per game) player and if you were to ask the game’s greatest players how easy it is to do that, they’ll tell you it’s extremely difficult, but even that bar isn’t high enough for him and others.”

[...]

“He’s challenging himself to change the narrative,'' Jone said. "Rightfully or unrightfully, whatever the word would be, he hears and he senses and he feels, but the outside opinion, I think, and I know internally, that he has change the narrative because if you look at the impact that he’s had on this team over the last three or four years is undeniable and without him playing at the level that he’s playing at, we’re not nearly as good as we’ve been. If he can take it to a level that I know he wants to, he makes us special and I think that’s the driver for him. The internal, external motivations will always be there and I think he’s just trying to harness that now.”

People keep trying to dismiss the 18 & 10 thing, but...

All NBA players who averaged 18 and 10 last season:

1. Joel Embiid
2. Giannis Antetokounmpo
3. Anthony Davis
4. Julius Randle
5. Nikola Jokic
6. Domantas Sabonis
7. Deandre Ayton

Centers who averaged 18 and 10:

1. Joel Embiid
2. Anthony Davis
3. Nikola Jokic
4. Domantas Sabonis
5. Deandre Ayton
18 and 10! Cool!

Now do defensive stats from last season (basic or advanced, your choice).

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:44 pm
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
x
x
x

He's sleep walking...
So you're telling me that Jokic is 3.9 times closer to Ayton than he is to Embiid? He must be a horrible player!

Also, how many of those have been 3rd options for most of their career?
No, I'm telling you complacent complAyton is fine that Jokic is getting 50% more FTAs, feeling he can sleep walk through his contract while chomping on CBD Gummies like TicTacs...

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

The problem with managing a player like Ayton is the assumption that its all motivation. Emotionally he is struggling because of the bad press, negativity from his coaches, and refusing to acknowledge how he gets in his own way. He can’t be who he wants to be without adapting the things that certain players to do become stars in this league. There is a mtn of evidence that signals his habits indicating otherwise, the reports of his video gaming, his suspension, declining workouts opportunities with other stars, and his lack of development from one season to the next. If he doesn’t have it in him to go and be hard nose defender. For god sakes he would make a great Lamarcus Aldridge. He needs to work on his middy a bit more and develop some mid post moves.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DA!

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Part 2 of Rankin's interview with James Jones: https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 452702007/
With four max contracts, you knew you were going to have to be creative putting the roster together and going with veteran minimums. What was the process like in preparing for free agency?

“We knew going into it who are four top players were. The guys who were going to lean on heavily to reach our goals. I think that gave us more clarity and I think it gave the players more clarity around how we would play and how they could fit with our team.
It’s not all on his shoulders, it’s not just him. We have Kevin (Durant), Brad (Beal), two guys that led their teams and are extremely capable of leading a team. We have Deandre (Ayton), who is one of the top six centers in the NBA who night-in and night-out will have an advantage and can carry our team in moments.
And he's not in the top six in salary. So I guess James Jones thinks Ayton is underpaid. :P

TOO

Post by TOO »

Is there a full interview to read that doesn't cost money?

As for Ayton, they are blowing so much smoke up his ass at this point that they can say well we tried all we could to make him feel important if it doesn't work out.

Cap

Post by Cap »

They are blowing so much smoke up his ass it’s coming out of his mouth! Yeah, that’s where it’s coming from!

TOO

Post by TOO »

Ayton gonna be the first guy to hit the injury report with feelings being the listed injury.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Dan Majerle speaking some truth regarding Ayton:

https://arizonasports.com/story/3529069 ... s-rosters/
For me, when you pay a guy over $100 million, you know, it’s on you. It really is,” Majerle said. “The guy is a grown man … if he wants to change the perception of what he is, that’s what he’s got to do. For him, all he’s got to do is play with a great motor … rebound the basketball, set great picks, roll, finish, play defense and all those things, and if you win those things are going to come.

All the accolades are going to come your way. He’s out of excuses, he’s got to bucket down and not worry about what everybody thinks about him.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

iLLmatic wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:25 am
Dan Majerle speaking some truth regarding Ayton:

https://arizonasports.com/story/3529069 ... s-rosters/
For me, when you pay a guy over $100 million, you know, it’s on you. It really is,” Majerle said. “The guy is a grown man … if he wants to change the perception of what he is, that’s what he’s got to do. For him, all he’s got to do is play with a great motor … rebound the basketball, set great picks, roll, finish, play defense and all those things, and if you win those things are going to come.

All the accolades are going to come your way. He’s out of excuses, he’s got to bucket down and not worry about what everybody thinks about him.
Just another hater, he is jealous of Mr 18-10 and trying to turning him into Ben Simmons 2.0.