All Things Ayton

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: All Things Ayton

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Lee Tran is the only person talking about that trade.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Ayton's positives in the past 2 weeks:
  • He's in great physical shape.
  • He anchored the team defense and controlled the defensive glass for the majority of his time on the court.
Ayton's negatives in the past 2 weeks:
  • Minimal ball skill development since the Denver series.
  • Still too easy to force into favorable decisions for the defense. For example, teams started crowding him on the catch to limit his jump shot and using a double team when he received a pass within 7-feet of the rim. I can't remember one time he dribble attacked in those situations after the Cuba game.
In summary, not much has changed. He just put in a full effort for 4 straight games.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:35 pm
Lee Tran is the only person talking about that trade.
Well it’s what brought up Looney vs Ayton

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Saucy brought it up before that link was posted.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Well my mistake then…I’ll see myself out. An Ayton vs Looney discussion is dumb

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The trade part is dumb to debate since it has no substance besides something Lee Tran thought up for content. That was my only point.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:42 pm
Really genius, what discussion at this time of the off-season isn’t dumb?

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:48 pm
Ayton's positives in the past 2 weeks:
  • He's in great physical shape.
  • He anchored the team defense and controlled the defensive glass for the majority of his time on the court.
Ayton's negatives in the past 2 weeks:
  • Minimal ball skill development since the Denver series.
  • Still too easy to force into favorable decisions for the defense. For example, teams started crowding him on the catch to limit his jump shot and using a double team when he received a pass within 7-feet of the rim. I can't remember one time he dribble attacked in those situations after the Cuba game.
In summary, not much has changed. He just put in a full effort for 4 straight games.
That first game was very different. He definitely regressed. Yet, the impact he still had via effort was undeniable.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The first game was different because the opposing roster was filled with guys who'd probably defect from their country if given the chance.

Evaluating him playing in the Drew League would've been better than that game against Cuba.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:28 pm
The first game was different because the opposing roster was filled with guys who'd probably defect from their country if given the chance.

Evaluating him playing in the Drew League would've been better than that game against Cuba.
Quite possible but I saw stuff in that first game that he's never tried in games before. Maybe he can't do it against better competition quite yet and maybe he's a year away from doing so. But even if that's the case, it's something.

This Ayton discussion is getting pretty pointless. If you're pro (or ok with) Ayton, you're going to see signs of progress. If you're a Hayter, you're going to see the negatives. The only thing we all agree upon is that he is a plus if he puts in the effort, which we saw for a few games here. I'm not going to overreact to the ups and downs, he'll be inconsistent. The real question is how inconsistent.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:36 pm
The trade part is dumb to debate since it has no substance besides something Lee Tran thought up for content. That was my only point.
Sure, but to saucy’s point, most all of what we debate is dumb. And it’s not necessarily specific to that exact trade, but just goes back to the idea of replacing Ayton at the 5 with someone who’s a clear downgrade(but perfectly willing to just play the role we want) while adding talent at other positions. The idea of a trade around that framework is not dumb.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:06 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:42 pm
Really genius, what discussion at this time of the off-season isn’t dumb?
Fair…you guys can discuss it, I’m just not that interested in it

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Curious…. What will aytons PPG average be this season with all the tweaks? Given the teams make up… I’d be good with 18ppg.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Kryptonic wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:09 am
Curious…. What will aytons PPG average be this season with all the tweaks? Given the teams make up… I’d be good with 18ppg.
I doubt Ayton will average 18 ppg. There won't be enough shots to go around for him to average that many. But that's okay; we don't need that from him. I am hoping for more like 15-16 ppg, 12 rpg, 1 bpg. Engaged on defense.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

virtual9mm wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:21 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Quite possible but I saw stuff in that first game that he's never tried in games before. Maybe he can't do it against better competition quite yet and maybe he's a year away from doing so. But even if that's the case, it's something.

This Ayton discussion is getting pretty pointless. If you're pro (or ok with) Ayton, you're going to see signs of progress. If you're a Hayter, you're going to see the negatives. The only thing we all agree upon is that he is a plus if he puts in the effort, which we saw for a few games here. I'm not going to overreact to the ups and downs, he'll be inconsistent. The real question is how inconsistent.
127 pages later...

"...getting...pointless..."?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:51 am
Kryptonic wrote:
I doubt Ayton will average 18 ppg. There won't be enough shots to go around for him to average that many. But that's okay; we don't need that from him. I am hoping for more like 15-16 ppg, 12 rpg, 1 bpg. Engaged on defense.
If he does average 18 ppg, it will be a pick your poison scenario for the defense, and they will allow him to get the ball in the paint. Might be a good philosophy for the defense, as he doesn't create contact and get to the line much at all.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

virtual9mm wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

What if you're neither pro or a hayter? If you see the progress and the positives and also acknowledge the concerns.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:51 am
Kryptonic wrote:
Yeah, not too worried about his offense. The defensive end is where he can make the biggest difference for us if he buys in to that.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:24 am
virtual9mm wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

What if you're neither pro or a hayter? If you see the progress and the positives and also acknowledge the concerns.
That doesn't seem to be allowed. That's where I am as well. But if you don't show all love, you are labeled as a hater.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:15 pm
He was more efficient than a bunch of guys who'll never sniff the NBA. And Facundo Campazzo.
Hmm. I guess Hield and Gordon will never sniff the NBA.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.