2023 Suns General Offseason/PostSeason News Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: 2023 Suns General Offseason/PostSeason News Thread

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I think his durability is a valid concern (mostly) regardless of his MPG. Like In2 said, it seems like a lot of guys who play in these high level tournaments tend to pay for it at some point in the next season. They typically start off really well but hit a wall in the Spring.

I think we can expect him to be somewhere in the low 20's when the roster is healthy. The problem might be when one of the three guys is out for a while and he needs to push closer to 30 minutes.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:28 pm
I think his durability is a valid concern (mostly) regardless of his MPG. Like In2 said, it seems like a lot of guys who play in these high level tournaments tend to pay for it at some point in the next season. They typically start off really well but hit a wall in the Spring.

I think we can expect him to be somewhere in the low 20's when the roster is healthy. The problem might be when one of the three guys is out for a while and he needs to push closer to 30 minutes.
Thanks for the credit, but the credit due should be towards ShelC, I believe.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

LOL. My bad.

Shel is a genius!
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Maybe I’m just lower on Yuta than others here…I see him more like 15 minutes when everyone is healthy. I’m just not sure I’ve ever seen someone with that work load run out of gas. When we talk about Rubio and Baynes, they were playing more minutes. Rubio was a starter and Baynes was starting because of Ayton’s suspension. We’ll see though, maybe Yuta will be more like our 6th man.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I think you are underestimating his impact. He's head and shoulders the best shooter on the roster besides the obvious guys.

I'd be surprised if he's under 20mpg after a full season with this team.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I just think it's something to keep an eye on and hopefully something the coaching/training staff monitors. We don't know who will be playing what kind of role right now but we know Okogie, KBD and Yuta are in line for minutes at the 3/4. I don't think any of those guys are are due for 30+ minutes but you never know how things will shake out or who Vogel takes a liking to.

Even so, on the lower end with 15mpg the grind of so much basketball can take its toll. These guys are playing an extra 6-8 weeks of competitive basketball going thru a mini training camp, practices, film sessions from August until the start of Sept and then NBA training camps at the end of the month. It's obviously not the same as Rubio starting for the Spanish Natl team and then starting and playing 30+ minutes here, just something I'll be watching out for.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Rubio also was playing basically year round since he was a teenager.

I’m just not worried at all. I don’t even think playing games is what wears the players out. I think it’s more the constant traveling and game after game. He had a good sized break after the season to recharge and he’ll get another one soon before training camp.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:18 pm
I think you are underestimating his impact. He's head and shoulders the best shooter on the roster besides the obvious guys.

Who are the obvious guys? Book, Beal, KD, and EG? I hope his half season not missing anything holds up for us, but I’m just not fully convinced. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad we have him and I think he’ll play a role, but I see him as more like an 8th man.

Last year with KD in the lineup(small sample size) only Craig had a game off the bench with more than 20 minutes. Ya part of that was Monty trying to figure out rotations, but I just don’t see where the minutes come from. He might average over 20 minutes, but that’s assuming injuries. Shamet and Lee were both just barely at 20. That’s the role I see for Yuta. Probably 12-18 minutes when everyone is healthy.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

He's a better shooter than Eric Gordon.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I definitely don’t agree with that. He had one great season shooting and over half of his attempts were corner 3s. He shot 51% from the corner and 36% elsewhere. He shot 34% the year before.

Gordon took more 3s last year than Yuta has his entire career. He also takes less than 10% from the corner. He takes much more difficult 3s.

I just don’t think there is evidence to say Yuta is a better 3pt shooter.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

OK, how about this? Yuta will shoot a higher percentage than Gordon from 3 on a minimum of 150 attempts this season.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think that’s certainly possible, but it doesn’t factor in degree of difficulty.

Who is going to shoot better on above the break 3s?
How about on 28 feet and beyond?
How about 3s off movement?
How about pull-ups?
Who will have more off ball gravity?

These are more important questions to me. I think Yuta will shoot better from the corners than EG will shoot overall, but that doesn’t tell the whole story.

How about this, 12 seconds left, suns down by 2 with the ball. Which guy do you want out there spacing the floor? Now the answer might honestly be both, but if it can only be 1, I want Gordon.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:06 pm
How about this, 12 seconds left, suns down by 2 with the ball. Which guy do you want out there spacing the floor? Now the answer might honestly be both, but if it can only be 1, I want Gordon.
I'd also want Gordon because he's a better scorer, which I see as the point you're making.

I'm just talking about shooting 3's, however they come.

carey

Post by carey »

Can't believe that joker, Flex, parlayed his nonsense into a real job with PHNX Sports (Espo, Saul, Gerald, Lindsey, etc.)
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

carey wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:08 pm
Can't believe that joker, Flex, parlayed his nonsense into a real job with PHNX Sports (Espo, Saul, Gerald, Lindsey, etc.)
But is that a real job? He fits right in with the top cornball Espo

The only difference between espo and flex is that Espo KNOWS he’s a dork

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Been following this dude last couple seasons, think he does some solid game film clips
He's clearly a Beal fan like myself so I've enjoyed some of the ones he's posted this off-season. Gonna share this thread ✌️

I know some have admitted to not watching Wiz (can't blame 'em lol) and saying they have to get more familiar with his game but yeah nice stuff here

Remember how excited We were when Book started making a concerted effort to attack the paint because of the attention KD would get.
#rimpressure 👍

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I hope the Suns incorporate those backdoor cuts into the offense.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

carey wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:08 pm
Barf. I mostly like those PHNX folks, not as a place for rigorous NBA analysis, but just as some fans hanging out and talking about the Suns. But then they bring in that clown? That's a bad sign.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Gerald is the only decent journo there, Lindsey is cute but that's about it, everyone else stinks, definitely not worth my time.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:48 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:18 pm

Who are the obvious guys? Book, Beal, KD, and EG? I hope his half season not missing anything holds up for us, but I’m just not fully convinced. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad we have him and I think he’ll play a role, but I see him as more like an 8th man.

Last year with KD in the lineup(small sample size) only Craig had a game off the bench with more than 20 minutes. Ya part of that was Monty trying to figure out rotations, but I just don’t see where the minutes come from. He might average over 20 minutes, but that’s assuming injuries. Shamet and Lee were both just barely at 20. That’s the role I see for Yuta. Probably 12-18 minutes when everyone is healthy.
We have 4 starters, one 6th man, and everyone else is 8-10. I think Yuta has the right skills to look a lot better than he really is on this roster, and there's a good chance he will start a significant number of games. The only question is whether coach will go with defenders or shooters to fill the gaps.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan