Suns News: Week 13 1/19-1/25

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Suns News: Week 13 1/19-1/25

Post by In2ition »

Marion is one of the greatest underappreciated players in the league(unfortunately, he thought so, too much). He was invaluable, but not as a #1 or #2 option. He was probably just as important as those #1 and #2 options, because he could contribute without being the focus, the ultimate garbage/role player. There should be a spot in the HOF for a guy like Marion. It could be easily argued that what he brought to the table was more than Richmond ever brought, IMO. You could argue that Marion couldn't do what Mitch did, but it goes the other way around too.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Bill simmons yearly NBA Trade value column is up today. Part 1.

4 Suns cracked the top 56.

Dragic was 56.
Bledsoe was 53. (Bill said he will be higher if he stays healthy this season)
Len is 50 (Nice recognition for Alex)
and the guy with the most trade value on our team according to Simmions...

Markieff Morris. who was 40. Simmons praises morris calling his extension "dirt cheap". Here is the whole link for those of you who want to click on it.

BYW Simmons praises the suns as his favorite league pass team and says their not afraid of anyone. This is the 4th commentator in the last week I heard praise our toughness. Not bad for a team who's some of its fans want to "blow it up".

http://grantland.com/features/2015-nba- ... ue-part-1/
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

carey

Post by carey »

Sunsfan4life wrote:Bill simmons yearly NBA Trade value column is up today. Part 1.

Dragic was 56.

Markieff Morris. who was 40. Simmons praises morris calling his extension "dirt cheap". Here is the whole link for those of you who want to click on it.

BYW Simmons praises the suns as his favorite league pass team and says their not afraid of anyone. This is the 4th commentator in the last week I heard praise our toughness. Not bad for a team who's some of its fans want to "blow it up".

http://grantland.com/features/2015-nba- ... ue-part-1/
Came to post this, has a funny bit in there about the Dragic v. Vujacic feud. Who wants to blow the team up? Like 99% of us just want to cash in some of our assets for a star.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Have you seen some of the sigs around here?

*Trade everyone but Len
*Trade Bledsoe/IT/Kieff Keep Dragic/Len
and then we're not even going to get into sdc and his anti mcdonaugh campaign
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

carey

Post by carey »

No, I have signatures and avatars turned off.

Who pays attention to SDC?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:No, I have signatures and avatars turned off.

Who pays attention to SDC?
If people would stop quoting them in their replies it would be a lot less. The ignore feature doesn't work on replies!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Tell me about it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I just did.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Sunsfan4life wrote:Bill simmons yearly NBA Trade value column is up today. Part 1.

Dragic was 56.

You're trumpeting a commentator that thinks Markieff Morris has the highest trade value of any Sun on the roster. OK.

He also praises Markieff's stretch 4 game when Markieff isn't even averaging 1 make per game and is shooting 33% from 3. Again, OK.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

carey

Post by carey »

INFORMER wrote:

Dragic was 56.

You're trumpeting a commentator that thinks Markieff Morris has the highest trade value of any Sun on the roster. OK.

He also praises Markieff's stretch 4 game when Markieff isn't even averaging 1 make per game and is shooting 33% from 3. Again, OK.
Does stretch 4 only mean 3 point shooters or does the ridiculous amount of long 2s he makes count? Sincerely asking.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I think the analytics guys will say 3-point shooters.

carey

Post by carey »

INFORMER wrote:I think the analytics guys will say 3-point shooters.
But is the job to put up points or open lanes for shooters?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

carey wrote:
INFORMER wrote:I think the analytics guys will say 3-point shooters.
But is the job to put up points or open lanes for shooters?
From the way Patrick Patterson and Channing Frye were treated this past offseason, I would say it's to open lanes and interior space for slashers, post players, and paint scorers.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In his defense, markieff has made significant strides since the beginning of the season. He shot 24 percent in November and is at 39 percent in December and January. That's a pretty legit stretch 4.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

He's learning when he can best take it, as opposed to winging and hoping ...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

We found out last year that Markieff is at his best when he's not standing behind the 3-point line. He's mid-range scorer that can occasionally pop out and knock down the 3-ball. That's not a stretch 4, IMO.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I'll agree with that, I don't ever want him to become a frye/love style 4 who shoots 6-7 threes a game, but if his recent success isn't a fluke, being able to hit in the upper 30% range on 2-3 attempts a game can be very beneficial to him and his teammates. So while I wouldn't define him as a stretch 4, he has shown the ability to stretch the floor.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Per Wikipedia:
A stretch four is a player that is of power forward size but has superior shooting skills (especially three-point jump shots). While using these skills on offense, the player retains the ability to defend the opposing power forward.
I'd say, especially three-point jump shots, aligns with your assessment Informer. Though I do think that it's not entirely a full necessity, as the definition states "superior shooting skills" and emphasizes three-point jump shots. He's "close" to a stretch 4 when he shoots the long range FG's (18 ft).
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:In his defense, markieff has made significant strides since the beginning of the season. He shot 24 percent in November and is at 39 percent in December and January. That's a pretty legit stretch 4.
Agreed about his improvement but he still has some work to do. Since December 1st, he is shooting 50% at home. That is amazingly awesome. But he is only 32.5% on the road. It smooths out to +39% overall, but I sure wish he was more consistent on the road from there. But the other interesting thing is that it doesn't seem to matter too much in the result of the game. He hits 39% in our losses as well as our wins in that same time frame...

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Split T wrote:I'll agree with that, I don't ever want him to become a frye/love style 4 who shoots 6-7 threes a game, but if his recent success isn't a fluke, being able to hit in the upper 30% range on 2-3 attempts a game can be very beneficial to him and his teammates. So while I wouldn't define him as a stretch 4, he has shown the ability to stretch the floor.
Agree. He does stretch the floor quite a bit. And he ate Love alive. Most stretch 4's, I've noticed, in the full bore mode of shooting 3's, play pretty bad defense.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton