2014 NBA Draft

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: 2014 NBA Draft

Post by In2ition »

Shabazz wrote:I think Josh Smith is a good comp for Aaron Gordon. Hopefully a Josh Smith that knows his limitations.
I could see that. You certainly hope he isn't the bad Josh Smith.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

sunset rubdown wrote: My general draft board:

1. Andrew Wiggins
2. Jabari Parker
3. Joel Embiid
4. Julius Randle
5. Noah Vonleh
6. Dante Exum
7. Nik Stauskas
8. Marcus Smart
9. Doug McDermott
10. Rodney Hood
11. Aaron Gordon
12. Tyler Ennis
13. KJ McDaniels
14. James Young
Wow, you have Stauskas rated HIGH.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN Apr 5
Sam Dekker and Frank Kaminsky told me they will be back next season for Wisconsin. Badgers will have a chance to return to Final Four.

sunset rubdown

Post by sunset rubdown »

INFORMER wrote:Wow, you have Stauskas rated HIGH.
That kid can flat out play. While being a premium shooter he is also highly efficient, crafty, can pass, create for himself or others, run pick`n`roll, pick`n`pop and also has underrated athleticism. He needs to improve his defence though.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I like Stauskas game a lot and have been touting him for awhile. I think 7 might be a little high. I wouldn't be upset if the Suns got him though.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Sunsfan4life wrote:Besides Exum who intrgues people out of the international guys?

Saric?
Nurkic?
Capela?

Me personally am intrigued by Capela. I would consider him at 19, but the way its going he may be a darkhorse for the late lottery.
I think Capela and Nurkic are both superior to Saric. I especially like Capela for the Suns. I don't like Saric at all.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Isn't Capela the typical athletic but raw and unskilled big man prospect? Nurkic is said to be in the mold of a Pekovic, it is, a strong, more classic post scorer, but in this case also with defensive ability thanks to nice quickness for his size.

I don't know who is the better prospect, but if the rest of the roster is a factor, I think Nurkic makes more sense, as he provides something we don't have. Miles Plumlee is the rim protector, Kieff the all around scorer and Len looks like a mix of athleticism and skill, but he has showed almost no post moves, while being more confortable taking midrange shots (with a form that doesn't look half bad). If Nurkic can actually hold his own defensively, I think he'd make a very good choice.

Still, the logjam problem persists, and three rookies will only add to it. McD will need to adress it this summer one way or another.
Last edited by Ring_Wanted on Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

double post

sunset rubdown

Post by sunset rubdown »

INFORMER wrote:
Sunsfan4life wrote:Besides Exum who intrgues people out of the international guys?

Saric?
Nurkic?
Capela?

Me personally am intrigued by Capela. I would consider him at 19, but the way its going he may be a darkhorse for the late lottery.
I think Capela and Nurkic are both superior to Saric. I especially like Capela for the Suns. I don't like Saric at all.
Mario Hezonja. He is the most talented euro player in the last 10 years, imho. If he declares for upcoming draft you take him with a mid first rounder and don`t think twice.

He won`t enter the draft this June though, unfortunally.

Capela is also a very interesting prospect, I agree.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Isn't Capela the typical athletic but raw and unskilled big man prospect?
Capela has shown an ability knock down jumpers and handle the ball on the perimeter.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

sunset rubdown wrote:
INFORMER wrote:

Saric?
Nurkic?
Capela?

Mario Hezonja. He is the most talented euro player in the last 10 years, imho. If he declares for upcoming draft you take him with a mid first rounder and don`t think twice.

He won`t enter the draft this June though, unfortunally.

Capela is also a very interesting prospect, I agree.
Oh yeah, Hezonja. He is really talented and his body looks like he can develop enough to play in the NBA. Certainly not as athletically limited as Saric. He is property of Barcelona for the long term, but his buyout is affordable (€2M) so he would be a prime candidate for a down the line investment. In a couple of season he should be one of the top players in the ACB and Euroleague.

If he falls due to his contract status, I could see the typical smart franchise nabbing him, like the Spurs or Thunder, and paying off greatly in the long term.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

INFORMER wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:Isn't Capela the typical athletic but raw and unskilled big man prospect?
Capela has shown an ability knock down jumpers and handle the ball on the perimeter.
Yes, what has picked my attention is an ability to put the ball on the floor and also good vision for passes, besides his speed and lenght. I wonder about actuall post skills tho.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ring_Wanted wrote:If he falls due to his contract status, I could see the typical smart franchise nabbing him, like the Spurs or Thunder, and paying off greatly in the long term.
I'd like to think that with McDonough at the helm, we're in that group now too.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Superbone wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:If he falls due to his contract status, I could see the typical smart franchise nabbing him, like the Spurs or Thunder, and paying off greatly in the long term.
I'd like it too, but I'll have to wait. Len hasn't exactly been the story of the season among rookies, health aside.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Superbone wrote:
I'd like it too, but I'll have to wait. Len hasn't exactly been the story of the season among rookies, health aside.
OTOH, Bledsoe, Plumlee, and Green have been very nice additions.

"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Superbone wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Of course, but not draft related.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

McDonough gets an A+++ for this FA acquisitions so far, and generally an A for his trades. I will wait and see when it comes to the draft. Drafting well is extremely hard and also takes some luck. Len could still develop into a useful player. Let's see what our FO does this June and July; that'll mean a lot to me.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Of course, but not draft related.
Still, it's talent evaluation and finding guys who fit our plan.

"Be Legendary."

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

.....and the Suns are back up to #14 overall.....

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote: Still, it's talent evaluation and finding guys who fit our plan.
I think it's still two separate disciplines. The Bucks and Pistons have been terrific at drafting, but boy have they sucked hard at trades and free agency.

And it was one offseason. That's not enough time to earn a reputation.