Game Day (Preseason): Suns (0-0) @ Pistons (0-0), Sun 10/8/23

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Game Day (Preseason): Suns (0-0) @ Pistons (0-0), Sun 10/8/23

Post by ShelC »

There are more plays than just those too, he's definitely been dirty at times. Whether you want to call it reckless or dirty is a choice. The Caruso hit was exceptionally dangerous. There have been others where the contact seems pretty incidental but it's just weird that so many of these plays occur with/around Allen.

rhylek

Post by rhylek »

There are dirty plays from various players around the league, even stars. It just not get a lot of attention unless the player already has a reputation. And it's never showed in replay center or game summaries.
I don't remember well but there was a play where Book went for a dunk and got shoved in the air. Had he not grabbed the basket, he might have been seriously injured. For me, it was more dangerous than what Allen did and... No whistle... (was it against Denver?)

I didn't watch all the videos, for some reason youtube doesn't work. Plays were too physical, but not malicious (well, the trey young one was).
I'd be glad if he doesn't reproduce those things in a suns uni and plays more under control.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

IDGAF what Allen has done in the past as long as he doesn't do it in a Suns uniform and keeps driving to the rim like he did yesterday
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

The Caruso play was an attempt at a block. He just got arm. It’s dramatic because he swung with his other arm while mid air.

Was it wreckless because he missed ball? Yeah. If Caruso didn’t break his wrist, would we be talking about it? No. If he got all ball, would we be talking about it? No.

It was a basketball play.

The Trae Young play is different, that’s Bruce Bowen-esque.

All the tripping in college was bullshit and he deserved a punch for it.

The DeRozan incident? Come on. I like that edge. That wasn’t going to hurt nobody, just a little forearm shiver from an edgy player. Raja clotheslined Kobe. It was a great move.

Hurting someone is bad. Knocking them down and being an irritant/physical player in a role? Every great team needs it.

We’ve had too many children on our squad the last few years.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:00 pm
Superbone wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:35 am
JeremyG wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:16 am
Superbone wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:32 am
Split T wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:47 am

I would have said yes to trading Allen for TJ right after the trade, but not anymore. Allen is way better than TJ. Also I would not consider Melton and Connaughton point guards. Allen is just as much a Pg as they are.
"He played great! Let's get rid of him."

Seriously, not sure why so many are clamoring for a traditional PG. Let's see how we do as constituted before making big changes. I'd say the starters looked pretty good yesterday. Let's give it a little time before changing it up.
I agree with O. Like I said in the other thread, we don't need Allen. He and Gordon are redundant. We do need a PG. If we can get something more useful for Allen, I would do it.
We needed him yesterday. You hateorade is getting in the way here.
If we need him to beat Detroit in overtime in the regular season, we have a real problem.
We didn't. Did he even play after the third quarter?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

No he did not

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:39 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Superbone wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:32 am

"He played great! Let's get rid of him."

Seriously, not sure why so many are clamoring for a traditional PG. Let's see how we do as constituted before making big changes. I'd say the starters looked pretty good yesterday. Let's give it a little time before changing it up.
I agree with O. Like I said in the other thread, we don't need Allen. He and Gordon are redundant. We do need a PG. If we can get something more useful for Allen, I would do it.
If we need him to beat Detroit in overtime in the regular season, we have a real problem.
You're the one who claimed we needed him yesterday.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:30 pm
Always like EG but he's older now, will still have his moments is what I said when we acquired him

How can the discussion be that Allen isn't necessary when he's better than EG now and our backup guard for Book n Beal
Did you watch him on Team Bahamas? He has a lot left in the tank.

And he's not just a shooter. He drives to the hoop at least as well as Allen does.
Last edited by JeremyG on Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:19 pm
There are more plays than just those too, he's definitely been dirty at times. Whether you want to call it reckless or dirty is a choice. The Caruso hit was exceptionally dangerous. There have been others where the contact seems pretty incidental but it's just weird that so many of these plays occur with/around Allen.
That's exactly how Pat Bev does it.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

TOO wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:21 pm
Jeremy = Let's get rid of a good player for a lesser player because of fit. The irony is delicious. Nom nom nom nom.
I never said to trade him for a lesser player.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:05 pm
Superbone wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:39 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Superbone wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

You're the one who claimed we needed him yesterday.
Gotcha!

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Allen looked good. He was my biggest surprise player in a good way. Diop was my biggest surprise player in a bad way. The starters have it going on. That’s one pre season game.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:47 am
Allen looked good. He was my biggest surprise player in a good way. Diop was my biggest surprise player in a bad way. The starters have it going on. That’s one pre season game.
Very observant. :P

"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:25 pm
I am.being lazy so not gonna YouTube search "G. Allen dirty plays"
I know ppl reference I believe an undercut with Caruso but for those so disgusted with him can y'all drop situations/circumstances
Obviously, this is my take on what I see when watching.

It's not the specific dirty plays, it's the way they happen. He loses control of his temper and lashes out. It's different from guys getting chippy in a physical game. Allen loses it without much provocation and acts in a way that seems disproportionate to anything happening around him. Besides that, there were rumors of him hitting his girlfriend in college.

I'm not going to post links or anything, because I don't need to change anyone's mind. This is just my take. He's one of the villains of the league, and I'd rather not have him on my team.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:36 am
bajanguy008 wrote:
I know ppl reference I believe an undercut with Caruso but for those so disgusted with him can y'all drop situations/circumstances

It's not the specific dirty plays, it's the way they happen. He loses control of his temper and lashes out. It's different from guys getting chippy in a physical game. Allen loses it without much provocation and acts in a way that seems disproportionate to anything happening around him. Besides that, there were rumors of him hitting his girlfriend in college.

I'm not going to post links or anything, because I don't need to change anyone's mind. This is just my take. He's one of the villains of the league, and I'd rather not have him on my team.
Sounds like your mind is made up. I'm not going to research his past transgressions. I think everybody deserves to mature and grow as a human being over time. I'll judge him from this point forward.

"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:43 am
O_Gardino wrote:
bajanguy008 wrote:

Sounds like your mind is made up. I'm not going to research his past transgressions. I think everybody deserves to mature and grow as a human being over time. I'll judge him from this point forward.
I’ll wait for his next screwup and then judge him from the day after that forward.

Preemptive forgiveness? Or just my lazy excuse to procrastinate the hard work of judging someone?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

He played well in his first game as a Sun. I didn’t see any dirty stuff. If I see dirty stuff, I will call it out.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:45 am
Superbone wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:43 am
O_Gardino wrote:
bajanguy008 wrote:

I’ll wait for his next screwup and then judge him from the day after that forward.

Preemptive forgiveness? Or just my lazy excuse to procrastinate the hard work of judging someone?
I'm glad you guys are perfect. I'm still a work in progress and I'm older than both of you. Slow learner, I guess.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

It's funny to get all in your feelings about sports. It's just basketball, he hasn't killed or raped anyone. Sheesh.

Cap

Post by Cap »

TOO wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:30 pm
It's funny to get all in your feelings about sports. It's just basketball, he hasn't killed or raped anyone. Sheesh.
Heh. That inspired me to look up Jerrod Mustaf in Wikipedia.
He is the former sports ambassador for Gambia, professional NBA Blogger for Supersport/Multivision, Executive Director of the Take Charge Juvenile Diversion Program
How does such a person get such positions?